New LG G Pad

DVD-Man

Having an LG2 I fancy one of these, the 8.3 has great specs but the 10.1 is the same or slightly under my note 2012, once thy make a decent 10.1 I think I'd jump ship.

pbb76

Distinguished Member
Dumping my iPad2 and going to get the 8.3...

Anyone got one? Not seen a bad review and one of by FB friends has one and swears by it (after owning iPads, and a Nexus7).

qwakuk

Have 3 tablets, my trusty Motorola Xoom (10.1 screen), then the LG with the 8.3" screen and most recently the Dell Venue Pro 11 which is actually a 10.8" screen.

The LG is very good but does not get a look in as I am learning Win 8.1

Last edited:

pbb76

Distinguished Member
Would you recommend it though for around about £150-170 price point? Seems like I'm taking a massive step down from the iOS ecosystem...

qwakuk

Would you recommend it though for around about £150-170 price point? Seems like I'm taking a massive step down from the iOS ecosystem...
Definitely, the screen and general speed are excellent. Considering selling mine simply because it is not used regularly.

bladedripper

Distinguished Member
Those new lg tablet specs are turd...

Fat_Tony

Distinguished Member
I got an LG G Pad free with my last TV - not sure what number it is but its the best android tablet ive ever had, and Ive had 4 or 5 in total.

bladedripper

Distinguished Member
I got an LG G Pad free with my last TV - not sure what number it is but its the best android tablet ive ever had, and Ive had 4 or 5 in total.
My wife has the LG G Pad 8.3 and they are good but not a patch on the Sammy tab pro or tab s..:smashin:

Fat_Tony

Distinguished Member
Ive not tried those you mention, to be honest im not massively into tablets - I do most things via my phone.

Our kids have had a Galaxy Tab 2 I think it was, I ended up offloading it as it was so slow and laggy. Until a few weeks ago I was a card carrying Samung diehard but since moving onto the iphones we are now considering an ipad as a bit of a tablet for the whole family. Im waiting to see if anything exciting is announced this month on the ipad front.

pbb76

Distinguished Member
To follow this up, I got the G Pad in the end (from the classifieds on here) and its absolutely awesome for the price in my opinion.

I've had an iPad2 since launch and would never have a word said against Apple until recently, but this G Pad for effectively £100 (ok, I know they are slightly more retail) is more powerful, runs the same games I had on the iPad with little if any downgrade and has a shed load more options going for it.

Couldnt be happier at the moment!

Fat_Tony

Distinguished Member
Ive been impressed enough with mine to seriously consider LG in future. For me I just love the fact it can mirror the screen to my TV very quick and easily. I always went for 7" approx tablets in the past but found the extra size (lol) makes all the difference.

pbb76

Distinguished Member
Ive been impressed enough with mine to seriously consider LG in future. For me I just love the fact it can mirror the screen to my TV very quick and easily. I always went for 7" approx tablets in the past but found the extra size (lol) makes all the difference.
How do you get the mirroring? Using a Chromecast?

Fat_Tony

Distinguished Member
Its an LG TV and when im watching a video on the tablet, there is just a "SHARE" button which offers the option of streaming to the TV. I think it creates a local connection rather than streaming over internet.

Its fairly impressive, not flawless but very good. picture and sound are fine, but sometimes if I need to pause it for a moment it can lose connection and the point I was at in the film/tv show.

Fat_Tony

Distinguished Member
Its ideal for me as our internet isnt good enough for alot of streaming etc, although I can download stuff if im in no hurry then mirror it to the TV simply enough.

I need to look into what other equipment can link up with a local non internet connection and hopefully make a bit more use of sharing media between different TVs in the house.

DVD-Man

Miracast is the technology behind it, sumvision make a dongle that allows iPads, android and windows devices to project onto TVs.

Fat_Tony

Distinguished Member
Would you have a link for that product please? Im struggling to find it.

Do chromecast and things like that do the same? Your comment got me thinking, and I would love a dongle or something in my room so I could beam the tablet onto the TV - but only if it worked consistently well. (It's not an LG TV so I wonder if they would pair pu as effectively?) My issue is my internet isn't great, so anything that connects without the need for internet is ideal, miracast, wifi direct - whatever does the job.

Thanks for any suggestions

Fat_Tony

Distinguished Member
Thanks, a local wifi connection is exactly what I'm after, ill look into it now

Fat_Tony

Distinguished Member
Yeah that looks perfect thank you, I've ordered one.

Any idea if it works with apps aswell? Ie could the kids play Angry birds via the tablet with it showing on screen?

Cheers

DVD-Man

OK, had this out of the box last night and its even better than I thought, the dongle picks up your WiFi and then shares it with the device you connect to it, for instance, I mirrored my screen to my TV and streamed a film from google play.

DVD-Man

Yeah, you put the dongle in ez mirror mode then the tablet screen is replicated onto the TV, dunno about angry birds though, I don't play it.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Best Hi-Fi products of 2020, Plus Best of the Month for TV Shows & Movies

Latest News

TCL announces new soundbars for UK TV consumers
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Best TVs of 2020 - Editor's Choice Awards
  • By Phil Hinton
  • Published
Best Projectors of 2020 - Editor's Choice Awards
  • By Phil Hinton
  • Published
What's new on Sky and NOW TV UK for December 2020
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
PS5 vs. Xbox Series X: Which Next-Gen Console is Best?
  • By Rik Henderson
  • Published
Top Bottom