New Lexicon DVD-A/SACD player

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by paiger, Jan 8, 2003.

1. paiger

paiger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Check it here:

http://www.highfidelityreview.com/news/news.asp?newsnumber=11742036

It looks great, finally a high end universal player. It seems to have some Pioneer bits in it so we shall have to wait and see how it performs. Expected to be around $3500 in the US. Anyone know what that may equate to over here? I know it's not a straight conversion. Only thing it lacks is a digital out for high res but that may be a later upgrade.

Also a new processor, the MC8. Basically a cut down MC12. Looks great as well. Not sure if it's going to be that much better than the Arcam AV8 I have set my heart on but worth a go.

S

2. paiger

paiger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well it lit my fire anyway.

3. rigman

rigman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +78
    Seems to be pretty cheap for a Lexicon. Nice unit though being able to play all formats though does not have a hi res digital output. Big mistake in my opinion. Makes it obsolete before it is even out.

The official line being they are waiting and see which emerges for future expansion. Hope it is not just a sales pitch like the MC1 was. Remenber the ads syaing how upgradable it was and would be ready for all the new formats etc etc. What happens... they release the MC12 and then announce no future upgrades for the MC1. What a con.

Darren

4. paiger

paiger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes, the lack of a digital output is a shame but then, it could be an expensive mistake to go for one option to find it gets binned. They do mention upgradability and talk about i-Link. I'm guessing that they will wait until an agreement has been reached before launching any upgrade. It will be a problem though as MC12 or MC8 will have to have the same upgrade too.

I guess it all depends on how comprehensive the bass management is on the player. Mind you, doesn't the MC12 allow bass management to be applied to the 5.1 input?

S

5. marck

marck
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Anyone got any idea how much the MC-8 is going to be?

6. paiger

paiger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Garmtz reckons about £5k UK. Rough guess only . £2500 for RT10.

7. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,276
    What a disaster, they are sticking a SCART on the RT 10 :(

Why can't we have BNCs and do it properly.

8. Plump

Plump
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Rhodes hates Scart, that's well known fact, but I'd leave it there for those who use such a thing with RGB equipped TVs. Why not having it if you can.

Of course putting BNCs would be more important for some of us, but why not having both?

By the way, I heard from a friend in London when I was there last month that price should be 4k - 4,5k and here comes the best: same as MC-8! Overpriced definitely but nice kit too!

9. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,276
    £4.5k and SCARTs, now someone is winding me up. :devil: I can live with it if they add proper connectors (BNCs) aswell but who does? In the mean time we have have to live with a sub standard connectors not properly designed to take the majority of signals that go through it.

Life is too short to compromise on quality, certainly at this level.

I wait for all the How do I connect my Lexicon to projector / plasma threads to follow.;)

10. Garincha

Garincha

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well Beekeeper, I think you're missing the point here. It is nothing bad with putting the Scart on, at least as long as there are better connectors to use along.
    We all do not like Scarts but it is definitely better to have something than not to have it.

And that 40k Levinson processor also offers Scart as an option, you believe it or not.

I am using the Scart only between my VCR and TV in our bedroom, but there are people out there who need it, do not ignore that fact. Even if it were better it had never been invented and Europe went Component way as overseas did.

11. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,276
    Er, isn't that what I said :(

If you want to use a connector that degrades signals, fine it is very convenient and it is your choice. I as ever put the balanced view as to the pros and cons of whats avaialable. Then people can make their own choice. The fact that SCART (and RCA) connectors cannot accurately pass digital / video signals is a matter of fact.

Convenience or quality on a high end Lexicon or both as I suggested?

12. Garincha

Garincha

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well, if you say so. But I still do not agree that we agree :)

And by the way all connectors degrade the signal , not only Scart or RCA. BNCs that you love soo much too!

It is much more SPDIF design that causes problems on digital connections than the fact that RCA plug (female part actually) is not 75 OHM "makable"

I would like to see someone who can reliably spot the difference between two good video leads between RCAs and BNCs. No way! Not even on digital audio signal!

Before someone attacks:
    I do not say it is not measurable, but it is hardly audible. I'd even say it is not audible.

Subject closed :)

13. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,970
    I spoke with a Lexicon guy at CES about the lack of DVI out on the thing and he said that it was too late in design to impliment but that something might happen in the futre in that regard.

Linn had the other star hi-end universal player though in the form of the Unidisk player which was designed by CD12 guy and featured Linn's own proprietry mechanism rather than an off the shelf thing from someone else......pretty sure it also has a DVI output.

Gordon

14. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,276
    Of course they do but surely it is better to have a plug / socket arrangement designed for the job? Like BNCs?

Don't disagree with this, can you change the SPDIF interface as easily as RCAs to BNCs? I can :devil: but most are stuck with SPDIF.

This is really very easy and can be done is seconds here. It is one of the easier things to spot in blind testing. (VIDEO AND DIGITAL)