NEW LED backlight LCDs with video footage these samsung tvs are out this year

Meridius

Prominent Member
Reaction score
These are what i might wait for, out this year only 4 months away i think
These are called the 81 panels in america dont know the model number here in the uk thay have back light LEDs that do 100,000:1 contrast ratio ouch which it achieves through ‘local dimming' LEDs – a system whereby the LEDs are automatically switched off in dark areas of the screen to create perfect blacks and 500cd/m2 brightness and super wide 180 degree viewing angle.

found this very interesting

just to point out

As we have said, it is impossible to convey the full effect of HDR without seeing it in person. This video can only serve as a guide at best: it shows the black vs grey at the low end, and basically, any time our camera can't handle the extra luminance, you will just have to imagine a really dazzlingly bright scene. It is also worth noting that these videos are LDR being extrapolated to HDR by the display. Once the industry reaches the point of producing true HDR video at the source, you can expect the effect to be even more dramatic.

the screen is that bright it looks to have bloom as it states its the cameras fault and can not handle it, can not wait for these LCD displays this yeat bring it on samsung.

here is the link to tell you how it works and theres video footage of the new LED LCDs to

very good at telling you how it works

http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/2005/10/04/brightside_hdr_edr/6.html

I wonder what sort of price tag these guys are going to command?

I wonder what sort of price tag these guys are going to command?

You know....these last few weeks I've been sitting in peace and tranquillity after finally deciding that I wanted to get the M87. Then this thread turns up......and now my world has returned to the chaotic mess it was when I had to decide which lcd to get. :(

However, I'm glad someone started this thread. And I hope these tvs dont cost a bomb. What I want to know is whether these LED LCDs suffer from clouding like their predecessors...anyone know?

dont think anyone knows as these tvs are not out yet but not to long now as many people are dying to see this new set and to test it beside the new plasma 2 from pioneer but its going to be a good year as this years going to set new standerds.

To the first link in the topic

Quite literally, in fact: these low-volume production models currently sell for US$49,000 each. :eek: :eek:

To the first link in the topic

Quite literally, in fact: these low-volume production models currently sell for US$49,000 each. :eek: :eek:

That article was written in 2005.....I think things have improved considerably since then

Aaa I never thought to check the date :smashin:

@pistolas & blackbolt360

The link you provided is the older model these are not the new local dimming LED BL technology LCDs this set is just a (Dimming LED BL LCD) thats does not have the new (Local dimming LED BL technology) Brightside technology this set was reviewed last year by this site

http://www.areadvd.de/hardware/2006/Samsung_LE-40M91B_01.shtml

theres a big big diffrence between the older (Dimming LED BL LCD TVs) and (Local dimming LED BL technology LCD Brightside technology Tvs) two complety diffrent technologys my first post tells you this uses the new Brightside technology.

the new set that are comming this year have the new (Local dimming LED BL technology Brightside technology).

more info on this new LCD TVs

Sizes - 40,46,52,57 inches
1080p
120Hz
LED BLU
Contrast - 100 000:1
Local Dimming
HDMI 1.3 (3 ports)
Color Gamut - 105% NTSC
MSRPs - unknown
Availability - July 2007

Continuing its series of CES announcements, Samsung tonight revealed a large collection of new LCD TVs, all targeted at improving the oft-maligned color accuracy of flat-panel displays. At the head of the announcements is the company's 81 series. The company says the new LCDs, ranging between the 40-inch LN-T4081F and the 57-inch LN-T5781F, all mark the first LED-backlit TVs with local dimming. The new lighting technique dramatically improves the color gamut to 105% of the NTSC range, promising images that perfectly match the source material. Local dimming on the lights also boosts the contrast ratio to an exceptional 100,000:1 by selectively reducing light for pixels that display darker colors in a given scene. All the sets will be 1080p-capable and will include three HDMI ports when they go on sale in July for an unrevealed price

Samsung had an impressive showing of newly developed LCD technology beside the old. Their LED backlit model boasted a 100,000:1 contrast ratio and a new, clearer panel for enhanced contrast and color clarity. One comparison showed how the LED backlit set, even working at 60 hz, was able to show motion as clear as a conventional set running at 120 hz. While Sharp seems to have the advantage in LCD right now, that may all change in the third quarter of this year when these new Samsung models arrive.

a link for you

http://gizmodo.com/gadgets/home-ent...een-size-its-contrast-that-matters-227801.php

and these TVs are 1080p

happy eading i can give you more links to these tvs news and stuff if you want it

I knew it...
Samsung is leading in the LCD panel technology.

Even Sony had to join Samsung in LCD panels production, a strong sign of Samsung domination.

_

I actually think this really may be worth waiting for. I really wouldn't care if it was double the price of the M87. For the sake of a couple of months and a TV I'll be keeping for several years can I miss out on this. The demo shots on Bit-Tech are astonishing.

The demo shots on Bit-Tech are astonishing.

The demo shots are indeed amazing. I cant get over that Lord of the Rings footage. The technology is just leap years ahead in terms of picture quality. The only problem is that although its coming out in the US in July, I still think it will take a month or two before its over here which may mean having to wait 5 to 6 months which I dont think I can do. What I might do is just get a cheap lcd until then.

to wait 5 to 6 months which I dont think I can do. What I might do is just get a cheap lcd until then.

Regretfully that's what I should have done and waits, rather than getting this Sony with Halo problem creating troubled colour object boundary (like ghosting or double contour). :mad:
Search this forum for Hannspree, Mirai, Orion, AOC :devil:
and go to Kelkoo for the best deal.

_

Well i cant wait and see how these perform but i just hope thay deliver but every news i have read on these say thay are up there With SED but we will have to wait and see, i can wait another 6 months if this is what is going to be the next real gen stuff

theres one more link but can not seem to get it working
http://blog.ultimateavmag.com/ces2007/010907SamsungLCD/

might be down

I've been waiting for these displays to come out for a while now.

One interesting question would be "With such bright whites, how much do my eyes hurt after watching these displays for 1h / 2h / 3h ?"

Im hoping the answer to the question is "The increased contrast ratio is down to the blacker blacks",

fingers crossed :)

Does anyone have any guesses on the prices of these Locally Dimmed LED-backlit LCD TVs.

I think these are the babies for me, I'm just worried that initally i may be priced out the market (as someone mentioned before, these feature new technology so will command a high cost)

I'm willing to part with £2500 max, just home they come in at this sort of price range and if they do, i'll have my on pre-order (as soon as it becomes avialable)

Found this link, check out the link to New Monitors, it's got pictures of Local Dimmed LCD compared to LED BLU.

The Newer Local Dimmed LCD is on the right!!! is it me or does it seem a bit too dark in some of these pictures and makes the Pic look worse then the LED BLU LCD's?

http://www.dailytech.com/Samsung+LC...+Local+Dimming+LED+Backlights/article6008.htm

To confirm that the right had side monitor is the newer Local Dimming LED Display check out this link which states so under the pictures at the bottom.

http://www.engadget.com/2007/02/01/samsungs-15-4-30-and-40-inch-led-backlit-lcds/

The models comming out later in the year maybe a bit better though as these are 720 models and not the 1080p ones

Remember, folks. Don't judge these new displays by the pictures you see online. The camera will not handle the HDR contrast, neither will your monitor, coupled with the JPEG compression. You THINK theyre crushing the black, but I would bet my bottom dollar theyre not...

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom