New LCR speakers for apartment living room (2700 cu ft)

ringwraith24

Hi all, happy Sunday, so as i was researching more on the monolith 365s it seems they are all rated for 4ohm. Now my rxv667 Yamaha is capable of 90w per channel, so that leads me now into doubting if they can drive the monoliths appropriately?
Is it safer to go with more sensitive speakers for the money like the monitor audios mentioned?
Thanks for any advice!

Gasp3621

Distinguished Member
Hi all, happy Sunday, so as i was researching more on the monolith 365s it seems they are all rated for 4ohm. Now my rxv667 Yamaha is capable of 90w per channel, so that leads me now into doubting if they can drive the monoliths appropriately?
Is it safer to go with more sensitive speakers for the money like the monitor audios mentioned?
Thanks for any advice!

If you don`t go too crazy with the volume you will be ok (don`t lower impedance switch or use ECO mode though!!!) I would assume you are going to look slightly better and newer receiver in future (Yamaha RX-A4A or Denon X3x00 / Marantz SR601x at minium)?

Monoprice specs these as 4-ohm speakers, and in that they are correct. The impedance never dips down below 4 ohms, but the steep phase angle at the impedance minima between 100 Hz and 200 Hz may be a tough load for cheaper amps. Budget amplifiers should be OK with this load if it isn’t played loud, but who buys THX speakers to only be played at soft volumes? Outside of a small but important frequency band between 100 Hz and 200 Hz, the electrical load is fairly easygoing. I wouldn’t task an entry-level AVR amp with running these speakers, but a mid-level AVR should be OK.

I measured both the Center Speaker and the Mini-Tower’s sensitivity at 91.0 dB for 2.82v at 1 meter. That is certainly an above-average sensitivity for a bookshelf speaker but not so surprising for large and powerful speakers such as these. While the lower impedance does play a role in that, this higher sensitivity will help alleviate the electrical load that these place on amplifiers. These are relatively sensitive speakers and don’t need a lot of electrical power to get loud.

Another intresting point the measurements shows that the highs rolls off sooner so they are bit more laid back so very much opposite to bright sounding speakers where as example the MA Silvers do have slight bump with the highs which makes them quite exciting to listen, but never overly bright/harsh at least what i have heard. So you shouldn`t choose by the specs, rather which type of sound you prefer. It`s hard as you can`t go listen Monoprices like the hifi brands. However Monoprice offers good return policy so you could buy them and ask example MA`s or any hifi speakers for home trial and compare them head to head at home. This way you would get your answers.

Last edited:

ringwraith24

@Gasp3621 great, thanks for the advice. I think i have exhausted my AV quota for this year ;) but maybe next year an Atmos receiver could be on the cards if things go well. I notice AVR prices have gone up in the last decade substantially.
I am after a more laid back and relaxing sound, not the exciting type of sound. I find after a long day at work, the bright sounds on my current polks to be too harsh and tiring

ringwraith24

Also found these while looking around for open box/used market. Worth considering? They have only a 90 day warranty however

Gasp3621

Distinguished Member
@Gasp3621 great, thanks for the advice. I think i have exhausted my AV quota for this year ;) but maybe next year an Atmos receiver could be on the cards if things go well. I notice AVR prices have gone up in the last decade substantially.
I am after a more laid back and relaxing sound, not the exciting type of sound. I find after a long day at work, the bright sounds on my current polks to be too harsh and tiring

Oh yes some of the older Polks are definitely that as ton of people are reporting that. I don´t think the MAs would be anything similar. If you want to play safe then the Monoprice seems good pick. Just need to wait deal to come up or you can email like member did with subwoofers and got big slice away from price.

I haven`t heard the Golds, they are with ribbon tweeters. I think that model won EISA award best in class bookshelf voted by big list of countries. But the center channel is very expensive. You would need to hear em. And need better amp for sure.

The latest video from AVForums

Samsung S95B Update, B&W Panorama 3 & Q Acoustics Reviews, HDR PQ EOTF/Gamma Calibration Discussion
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom