New LCR speakers for apartment living room (2700 cu ft)

ringwraith24

Hi All,
So I recently got into a new apartment and have been upgrading my AV gear. Started with a 65" TV added 2x10" monoprice monolith 10" THX subwoofers. The last remaining bit is the speakers. I have an old Polk monitor 30s (with CS2 centers) which are clearly no match for the subwoofers and are not really that great for music. They are ok for movies though along with the CS2 and the subwoofer doing most of the heavy lifting.

Looking for recommendations on upgrading the LCR set (preferably bookshelves) to something that is good for music and movies alike and doesnt cost a bomb (max budget of £1K). Dont really have the ability to run surrounds as it is a multi purpose room, but I would be happy with a good LCR. Open to buying used speakers as well. The room is an open plan living room and I typically listen at low/medium volumes. I am not in a hurry though as the current system is serviceable, so can wait for a good deal. Browsing through the reviews, monolith 365s (when they are on a deal) could be a good option, but I don't really need the THX volume levels. I hear they sound good at low volumes as well and when on a deal could fit my budget.

Thanks!

PS pic of the current setup so you know what I am working with.

Attachments

• 20220224_134034.jpg
    20220224_134034.jpg
    122.8 KB · Views: 33
Last edited:

Gasp3621

Distinguished Member
MA Silver 100 would be great and musical choice giving you fuller sound for 2ch listening without sub(s) partly due to 8" drivers and fairly good size cabs. The 6G is on sale for under 500£ while new gen pair costs 750£ (Silver 100 7G).

You just missed the super deals of Silver C350 3-way centre, i can´t find them anywhere anymore. So it would be the smaller Silver C150 then which might still do the trick for you fine. Dirt cheap this one too.

Sadly you limited to black gloss or oak, but the gloss finish doesn´t raise much the cost.

If you not familiar with S100 check some reviews to get started. They are highly praised by most folks who has heard them. AVF editor gave them Best Buy.

Of course the 365 would be great too especially for movies. The subs as stands are fairly low (48cm), maybe short 10-12cm stands would be something to consider on top of subs unless you sit very low. Just to think the tweeters should be roughly at seated ear height. And then tilting the center channel shooting more upward toward ears.

ringwraith24

Hi @Gasp3621 many thanks for the recommendations! The MA silver 100s look good. Would they be better than these for example considering I have 2 subwoofers? The prices are very similar

Regarding the centres, the c350s look like a good step up. I could wait for a good deal on those since I am in no great hurry.

D

Deleted member 901590

Have you checked if your AVR has support for front heights, so you could go 3.2.2?

The Monoprice THXs include an upfiring Atmos driver, may make your viewing more immersive?

Gasp3621

Distinguished Member
Hi @Gasp3621 many thanks for the recommendations! The MA silver 100s look good. Would they be better than these for example considering I have 2 subwoofers? The prices are very similar

Regarding the centres, the c350s look like a good step up. I could wait for a good deal on those since I am in no great hurry.

Tough to say without hearing. Monoprice likely has edge with movies although you aren´t pushing the system loud either. Silvers may be more exciting with music as they are more typical audiophile speakers. They also come with nicer finish which is important for some people.

Another great deal is with the Focal Aria range which is often compared to likes of Kef R in US. Seems to be highly enjoyable speakers which measure great too. Also big centre channel with dual 6,5" drivers. Slightly over your budget though, but if looking competitor prices they are quite a lot more.

Gasp3621

Distinguished Member

If you would buy Monoprices i would just wait until the deal comes for the 365T and 365C. You don´t buy speakers often so i would really make it count and choose something to keep you happy long term. 265 typically used as surround channels while the 365T has 3-way design and is similar to centre, ideally that should be the goal.

ringwraith24

Have you checked if your AVR has support for front heights, so you could go 3.2.2?

The Monoprice THXs include an upfiring Atmos driver, may make your viewing more immersive?
Hi @AEIOU I have a yamaha rx667. It's quite old but it has presence speaker connections, dont think it has heights. Would it still be useful with the upfiring atmos driver?

ringwraith24

Thanks @Gasp3621 . The focals look nice, but also a bit over my budget. Yes, I am ok to wait for deals indeed. I hope they do come though as I hear talks about price rises etc. :D

D

Deleted member 901590

Hi @AEIOU I have a yamaha rx667. It's quite old but it has presence speaker connections, dont think it has heights. Would it still be useful with the upfiring atmos driver?

A lot of members would probably reply saying "waste of time" as I believe they are only a matrixed sound mode for those front presence.

But I would say DEFINITELY gvie it a go! I used to have front heights, years ago from a Sony AVR, that were just matrixed Dolby PLIIz and they were really effective.

You'd need to check first in the manual if it will do the front presence without any surrounds.

ringwraith24

If you would buy Monoprices i would just wait until the deal comes for the 365T and 365C. You don´t buy speakers often so i would really make it count and choose something to keep you happy long term. 265 typically used as surround channels while the 365T has 3-way design and is similar to centre, ideally that should be the goal.
The monoprice 365T + 365C would ring in more than £1000. The monitor silvers seem like they would come in much cheaper if I get the gen6s so seriously considering them!

kbfern

Distinguished Member

The mono 265b are available from Mono's ebay site at £215 ea which is a steal and they have 4 left so go for those and get the 365C from Monouk either now or when on offer.

There are 2 users at least on here with that configuration with 10" THX sub who think they sound great.

ringwraith24

Thanks @kbfern . Yes, the 265bs look like a good deal. I confirmed with monoprice support that they offer 5 year warranties on the ebay sales.

I don't really need THX ultra as it is a living room and I have a sub, but did not find many reviews of the 265s being used as main L/R.

kbfern

Distinguished Member

kbfern

Distinguished Member
As I said both bsheep and TC have the 356C and 265B as LCR but I was wrong about the subs BS has a pair of Mono 12" THX and TC has an SVS sb3000 IIRC subwoofer.

blacksheep99

The mono 265b are available from Mono's ebay site at £215 ea which is a steal and they have 4 left so go for those and get the 365C from Monouk either now or when on offer.

There are 2 users at least on here with that configuration with 10" THX sub who think they sound great.

I started with the 265's for LR with the 365C and it worked well. So well in fact I bought the 365's for L&R to complete the front and moved the 265's to rears. For value and performance I think they're hard to beat. I've very happy. Great for movies and good for music.

blacksheep99

If you go mono then I'd snap up the 265's with the centre and then you can always use get the 365's in future if you wanted. The 265's well sell on no problems or you may do the same as I did. FYI the tweeter in the 265 is at the same height as the 365 which you would expect but worth mentioning as I wall mounted mine.

kbfern

Distinguished Member
Also consider the new Mono Encore B6 bookshelf along with the C6 centre they should do you a great job and even cheaper than the THX range with no Atmos drivers included.

American audio has them in stock or from Mono uk both are selling at the same price £179 ea B6 and £227 for centre.

ringwraith24

Thanks a lot guys! Great info. @blacksheep99 , if you dont mind, how much of an upgrade were the 365Ts over the 256Bs? I am guessing the extra drivers are worth putting 200 bucks extra for?

blacksheep99

They're definitely a step up and of course match with the centre which was another factor for me. I was that impressed with the centre coming from my old speakers (q acoustics 7000 series) that I felt it was worth the investment to have the matching set. I've just checked I got a discount on the LR, paying £783 in the end.

kbfern

Distinguished Member
I have heard the 365T should be back in stock sometime in March but doubt they will be on offer straight away.

The other thing to watch is if you find you can get the 365T and 375C at the same time as they do seem to go out of stock of one or the other and rarely together available for long.

blacksheep99

If I see any offers come up I'll pop something in here. Also look at Quidco, they offer some cashback on monoprice. All adds up.

The latest video from AVForums

Samsung S95B QD-OLED Review - A Quantum Leap for OLED!
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

PSB Speakers unveils Passif 50 loudspeaker
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
Samsung Gaming Hub goes live
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
Huawei unveils FreeBuds Pro 2 true wireless earbuds
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
Sony unveils Inzone gaming brand