1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New LCD TV lines

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by sabes35, Jul 19, 2004.

1. sabes35

sabes35

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've been waiting several months to buy an LCD tv. It seems like the new lines keep getting delayed and delayed more. Of those I'm interested in are:
    Phillips 32PF9996, Sharp LC32G4U, and the Samsung LTP326W (although the Sammy is prob my least fav given no PIP)
    I am probably most privy to the Phillips, although I'm worried it wont be out for awhile given the info i read about a recall on this forum.

My questions are these: I have a progressive scan DVD player, and PS 2 games. So Progressive scan is important to me. The Sharp description doesnt mention progressive scan, so does that mean I wont be able to take advantage of this techonology? 2nd, the Phillips obscurely mentions it in the product details on the sight, but I downloaded and read teh product manual and it makes no mention of it, is this because its always on or somehting?

2nd, how important is 3-2 pull-down processing, esp given none of the 3 TV ive mentioned apparantly have this.

Lastly, as u can see Im interested in a 32 inch LCD for DVD, PS 2, HDTV and reg cable use. If anyone has any other suggestions, please let me know. THANKS!

2. spanky2k

spanky2k

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +49
    I'm not sure about the specs of the individual models but just a note, make sure you download the specs from the UK Philips site and not the US one as the specs on identical models are different, as I found out to my disadvantage.

3. jdl

jdl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    The Philips model is the 32PF9986, it will be available at the end of August from reliable sourses only the 37pf9986 wil support progressive scan signals through the DVI-I input at least at the beggining.
    The 32 and 42 will follow later with an updated software, but...................
    the Pixel Plus 2 algorithm and the Digital Natural Motion are working in full power with the RGB Scart connection don't want to go deeper talking tech but what Philips want's to say is that you get better picture if you stick with the RGB Scart connection. :cool:

4. idhutt

idhutt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The Philips does not have component input, thus no progressive scan. However, there is believed to be a mod by Philips (do a search of the forums) that will allow component input via the DVI input, possibly in time for the relaunch. However, until official word is said by Philips on this, and whether this will allow progressive input, I would remain cautious on this units component/progressive capability.

5. sabes35

sabes35

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  6. sabes35

sabes35

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If you read the specs on the site I justed listed, the Phillips supposidly has 2 Component ins and progressive scan. Hence my interest in this tv.

7. idhutt

idhutt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry, just assumed that, being a UK site, you were looking at UK specs.

8. sabes35

sabes35

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No sorry, I can't find a good Plasma/LCD board in the US (anyone know of any?), so I came here.

9. 38H21543

38H21543

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    This news item may help:

http://www.homecinemachoice.com/cgi-bin/shownews.php?id=6594

Important update on Philips 32PF9986 LCD TVs
    We've just been told by Philips' press office that its 32PF9986 32in LCD TVs have started shipping with both component-to-VGA cable and VGA-to-DVI adaptors included as standard. Both these adaptors are necessary to get round the fact that the screen bears no component video inputs, meaning that people with high definition or progressive scan-capable source equipment using component outputs have to get their signals into the 32PF9986 via its DVI input. Originally Philips was only including the VGA-to-DVI adaptor, leaving consumers with the annoyance and potential confusion of having to find their own component to VGA adaptor.

10. idhutt

idhutt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  11. idhutt

idhutt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Oops, just noticed that you already found it.

Anyway, I'll leave the link in as it just goes to show how far behind we are in the UK WRT TV technology. It is also an excellent secondary source of info, but you do have to make allowances for it being an American site as some of the topics are so blinkered into doing things/knowing only the American way.