1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New LCD to old DVD, is it time for DVI / HDMI ?

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by neoglow, Jul 13, 2005.

1. neoglow

neoglow
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I recently got a Sharp LC26GA3E LCD panel and wanted to connect my existing Component DVD player (Toshiba SD220EB) and view in Progressive Scan, to my dissapointment I dont think my Tosh DVD player is Progressive Scan capable. Which I found a little weird since I thought Component outputs meant it could do Progressive Scanning too, ie, I thought they were the same thing????

Ultimately, I would prefer to get a Progressive DVD player now but considered DVI / HDMI if I'm going to be buying a new player. Now obviously DVI / HDMI would give a better image quality than Component but is it worth it since no DVD movies available now are High Defintion compatible so is it like the term "The picture will be the same quality as the source"?

Mark.

2. sandstheman

sandstheman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +46
    Well DVI/HDMI isn;t always necessarily better than Component, and since all LCD/PLASMA are Progressive Scan displays anyway getting a dvd player that does Progressive Scan isn't really much of an issue either, as you would just be moving the same step from the screen to the DVD Player.

What could be a factor is upscaling, i.e. taking standard defenition DVD and scaling it up to an HD resolution i.e. 720p, 480p. That can make an improvement to the image quality over a non scaled dvd.

Have a look in the DVD players forums, plenty of discussion there on this topic and on whether HDMI/DVI is better than component