New LCD, Sky HD and the World Cup

Laviscus

Standard Member
Hi all

First post in a new world so apologise if i make all the usual mistakes. :eek: Having suffered with poor quality images on my TV for too long now i thought i'd take the plunge and start looking for an LCD.

With Sky about to launch it's new HD service to coincide with the footy world cup and Blu Ray/HD-DVD getting some dates i'm assuming that there will be a number of new screens available as HDTV becomes more mass market. Thus my questions are:

1) Got about 2.5K to spend so any recommendations for a good LCD screen. Don't want a plasma as the Sky logo in top right of screen will burn in. Probably looking to get at least 37" as have quite a big room.
2) Sky will broadcast in 1080i and 720p. Is it worth waiting till some good screens are available to display 1080i in it's native resolution as i assume 1080i downscaled to 720i will not look as good.

Any advice greatfully received. Did try doing a search to see if there was already something posted but couldn't spot anything quite right.

Cheers

boksbox

Don't get over excited about the World Cup in HD just yet, it will only happen if the BBC or ITV deliver it over a HD platform such as Sky or Telwest TV drive, Sky won't have any World Cup rights.

inkinoo

Laviscus said:
Don't want a plasma as the Sky logo in top right of screen will burn in.

If that is your reason for not getting a plasma then I suggest you think again. All updated Sky boxes provide an option to turn the red dot off after 30 seconds.

Chippo2000

Novice Member
It's not the red dot that's the problem, rather the channel logo. I think it's unlikely that the channel logo will cause screen burn unless you are watching one channel almost exclusively over a very long period of time (months).

Sniper_007

Novice Member
Although it has its issues, the Philips 37PF9830 appears to be the best in class for a 37" LCD screen.. and can be bought for less than £2,500!! (And is one of the only sets available that is already ready to accept and display a true 1080i image!!!)

As for screen burn - unless you're wanting to play loads of games on it, then it really isn't an issue so much these days. And the Panasonic 37PV500 is a fantastic quality set, arguably better than the above LCD in some areas and quite a lot less, and has been noted to be particularly resistant to screen burn and image retention!!

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Trinnov Room Optimiser: A full explanation of Trinnov and its room optimiser technology
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom