1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New LCD Owner Questions

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by Beancounter, Jul 3, 2005.

1. Beancounter

Beancounter

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +53
    I took delivery of my new Sony KLV27HR3 yesterday. Firstly, the tv looks great, I must admit to being a little disappointed by the picture quality when upclose to the screen although at normal viewing distance it doesn't really show.

Close up, the picture looks rather grainy (for the want of a better word), is this normal for a LCD screen? I have been experimenting with the different settings but can't get something I am happy with yet.

Finally, connections. I currenty have my Topfield PVR, a DVD recorder and a Sky+ box connected to a Philips videosender, all via el cheapo scart leads. Will spending a few quid on quality scarts make a noticeable difference and if so any recommendations?

Thanks

2. David Mackenzie

David Mackenzie
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,310
    Can you describe the "grainy" a little more? What inputs is this using?

3. Beancounter

Beancounter

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +53
    Hard to describe really. Hazy could be another way of describing it, as I say, on the sofa you hardly notice it.

The scart from the videosender is into AV1.

4. DaveP

DaveP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Why are you connecting by video sender? This is only composite (just about the worst possible way to connect!) and is probably why you have a bad picture.

Try connecting the Sky+ by RGB Scart and s-video and see what you think then

Dave

5. Beancounter

Beancounter

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +53
    Thanks, there is a slight improvement there. I have everything going through the videosender to aid switching between devices. If I connect straight to the tv how would i connect to the videosender.

Sky + will be going soon so I can forget about that. That would leave the Topfield PVR the DVD recorder and the videosender, can you advise on the best way to connect all these?

6. Beancounter

Beancounter

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +53
    I switched around everything and now have the DVD recorder into the RGB scart on the telly and I must say the picture is excellent. The pictures from my Sky box and the Topfield PVR however are still pretty disappointing even when I put them directly into the RGB scart. The fact that the DVD is so good perhaps suggests that Freeview and standard Sky transmissions are not that good?