New laptop

Joe the man

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, so I recently bought an hp laptop, it's an i5 11357g whit a 500gb ssd and 12gb of ram, is it normal for the laptop to come whit two different ram sticks?
One is a Samsung 4gb that clocks up to
20220903_170705.jpg
3200mhz.
And the other one 8gb only clock's up To 2600mhz.

No it isn't and it isn't even normal to find different capacities of ram in the same system let alone RAM with different speeds or specs, simply because you can't get the benefits of full dual channel performance in that configuration.

This is not to say your system won't run properly, just it isn't the optimal configuration.

No it isn't and it isn't even normal to find different capacities of ram in the same system let alone RAM with different speeds or specs, simply because you can't get the benefits of full dual channel performance in that configuration.

This is not to say your system won't run properly, just it isn't the optimal configuration.
I have noticed some slow down when gaming, I normally have msiafterburner running, and every time I pass that 5 to 6 gb of ram usage it gives me a major impact in the fps.
I think I will upgrade it to 16gb when I get the chance.
And when you said that " it isn't even normal to find different capacities of ram" I agree, I have looked up for the model of this PC in the Internet and I only find it at sale whit 8gb.

is it normal for the laptop to come whit two different ram sticks?
No but it shouldn't impact RAM speeds that much.

I would always go with 12gigs of mismatched RAM over 8gigs as Windows struggles in a few situations with 8gigs.

Horrible laptops come with 4gigs.

16gigs would be a great upgrade but it's frustrating when you buy a brand new laptop and it already needs an upgrade.

It's really weird, I'm thinking in contacting client support about this, because I use it more for gaming, It's not good for that but I noticed that weird slow downs It's just strange, It takes me back to the time when I had a laptop whit an Intel celeron n3350 I don't know if this is the right model number, but I had that thing for 6 years and it still works but I gave it to my mother, It still holds up pretty well for today's standards, you can play video at 1080p and play some old games like gta san andreas, it's not a bad machine for someone whit a low budget.
No but it shouldn't impact RAM speeds that much.

I would always go with 12gigs of mismatched RAM over 8gigs as Windows struggles in a few situations with 8gigs.

Horrible laptops come with 4gigs.

16gigs would be a great upgrade but it's frustrating when you buy a brand new laptop and it already needs an upgrade.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom