New laptop, what bloatware can i safely remove?

Wildkarrde

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have bought my first laptop in years, a Toshiba, and it's going to come with the following :-

Satellite S70-A-11H - Toshiba

DTS® Sound
McAfee LiveSafe™ - Protects ALL your devices (complimentary 30 day subscription)
Microsoft® Office - 1 month trial for new Microsoft Office 365 customers
TOSHIBA Desktop Assist
TOSHIBA Display Utility
TOSHIBA Eco Utility™
TOSHIBA Function Key
TOSHIBA Gesture Controller
TOSHIBA Media Player by sMedio TrueLink+
TOSHIBA PC Health Monitor
TOSHIBA System Settings

Now, McAfee and Office are a given but what about the others?

Does De-crapifier still do the best job from new?

Appreciate any help.

Wildkarrde.

I'd dump
McAfee
MS Office (if you dont need/use it, use libreoffice/google docs)
T desktop assist
T gesture controller (if laptop has touch screen and you actually use this you might want to keep or if this is for touch pad then dump it)
T media player
T PC heath

The display utility might have something related to orientation or stuff. I'd run it and see if there is anything you feel you need to keep otherwise you can get rid of it.

The Eco utility I would probably keep as thats Toshibas custom power profile for battery life, same goes for system settings keep that.

If you have win 8.1 check the task manager\start up section which lists which apps have the biggest impact on startup, there might one or two you can get rid of.

Thanks.

Yeah, it's going to come with 8.1 which will be a learning curve on it's own!!

Just install startisback if you want classic windows you can have win 7 start menu or xp start menu and it can suppress all the charms bar too.

Boot to desktop in the taskbar properties\navigation area, it may be enabled already depending upon the type of system.

Start menu is coming back to Win 9 anyway so the start screen and charms bars might behave differently in that.

Just install startisback if you want classic windows you can have win 7 start menu or xp start menu and it can suppress all the charms bar too.

Boot to desktop in the taskbar properties\navigation area, it may be enabled already depending upon the type of system.

Start menu is coming back to Win 9 anyway so the start screen and charms bars might behave differently in that.

Thanks for the handy tips. Very familiar with Win 7 so having that option is very useful indeed :)

I did try to find a Win 7 laptop, like trying to find hens teeth!

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom