New laptop needed - (download music/games, upload video, play games, internet etc)

shell820810

Established Member
Reaction score
My husband bought a dell laptop in June 2008 (spec below).

Vostro 1510 : Intel Core 2 Duo T5670 (1.8GHz,800Mhz,2MB) 1 S
Memory : 2048MB (2x1024) 667MHz DDR2 Dual Channel 1 S
Hard Drive : 160GB Serial ATA (5400RPM) Single Hard Drive no.1 1 S
Graphics : 256 Mb NVIDIA GeForce 8400M GS 1 S
Wireless : Intel Pro Wireless 3945 (802.11 a/b/g) MiniPCI Card EUR 1 S
Display : 15.4" Widescreen WXGA 1 S
Optical Drive : 8X DVD+/-RW Drive including software 1 S
Battery : Primary 6-cell 58W/HR LI-ION 1 S
Operating System : English Windows Vista Home Premium SP1 (32Bit OS)

Apparently the graphics card has packed in, and it wouldn't be worth fixing, so he is on the lookout for a new laptop. Mod Comment: removed, please read the forum rules

He found the computer quite slow to load and use (but maybe due to malware etc rather than the spec).
He would also probably need 320GB hard drive.
He will want it able to play games such as Command and Conquer (the above wouldn't play all games), so prob need a better graphics card.
He also uploads a lot of videos - not sure if that makes a difference.

Here is the place we will probably buy from, and they have some laptops listed. I think their prices are a bit higher than if I bought elsewhere, so I am willing to haggle, if anyone can recommend a model or a spec that I will need.
C3 Computers: Desktops, Laptops, Servers, Peripherals, Components, Software & Accessories - C3 Computers

Not sure how up to date their stock levels are, so don't disregard out of stock models.

What should I expect to pay for what I need above?

Definitely willing to buy elsewhere if anyone spots a deal, and can vouch that it's a good system.

Last edited by a moderator:
First of all the Vostro is from Dells business line and with what you list as intended uses this laptop was possibly the wrong purchase in the first place.

You state that Dell are churning out rubbish, this you obviously can back up due to your intense knowledge in laptops (by the way the Vostro you have is fitted with a 256 Mb NVIDIA GeForce 8400M GS dedicated card NOT built in)

Possibly slow to load due to far too much rubbish installed and running in the back ground (user error not laptop specifications fault)

By the way the 256 Mb NVIDIA GeForce 8400M GS 1 S card is more than capable of running the games listed.

Keep the Vostro; Format and do a fresh install, don't load anything you don't need program wise (plenty of “How Too” on this forum for getting the best out of your laptop) Double the memory to 4gig (very cheap to do this) you could even pop in a better processor for less than £100.

I find your flippant comment regarding Dell offensive.

There are well documented problems with NVidia graphics cards failing due to inadequate cooling - call Dell and ask them to fix your laptop - even though it is out of warranty you may still be able to get it fixed - otherwise you are within your rights to take them to the small claims court to cover the cost of fixing it or a partial refund.

- Simon.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom