New laptop for my in-laws

KyleS1

Outstanding Member
Reaction score
Hi all, I'm looking for a laptop for my in-laws for basic web browsing and the odd zoom call. I want it to be as low maintenance as possible as I do all the tech support. I'm a bit out of touch on CPUs when buying a new machine. I can pretty much work out the rest. Anyone seen any good deals? Thanks! :thumbsup:

What is your budget? max £600 but closer to £500 if possible

What size laptop do you want? Ideally 15" but no smaller than 14". They have an old Dell machine of mine running linux 13", but it's a touch too small and too high maintenance for them

Do you have resolution requirements? Not overly important

Do you prefer a matte or glossy (reflective) screen? Not fussed

What will you be using the laptop for? Internet browsing, zoom, basic word processing

If you will be gaming, what games do you need to play? N/A

How long does the battery need to last? Not overly fussy

Does it need to be portable? Not overly fussed

Do you require Blu-Ray? No

Do you require HDMI output? No

Do you have a preferred brand? Not really but prefer larger brands such as Asus

Are there brands you would prefer to avoid? Chinese brands

Would you be happy with a refurbished laptop? No

Any other details you feel necessary... I want this to last for the in-laws as they never upgrade. So decent level of CPU and minimum 8Gb RAM. I think minimum 256gb SSD. Needs a decent webcam.

Look at the Dell website they have a range of configurable options. Your requirements of 8GB RAM and 256GB SSD will just about fit within your budget

Even Dell seem to be struggling with stock. No 15" versions of the Inspiron when moving the basket.

Sorry, I should’ve updated. I got them an ASUS Zenbook that I saw on HUKD. Reduced to £499 from £599

Hi all, I'm looking for a laptop for my in-laws for basic web browsing and the odd zoom call. I want it to be as low maintenance as possible as I do all the tech support. I'm a bit out of touch on CPUs when buying a new machine. I can pretty much work out the rest. Anyone seen any good deals? Thanks! :thumbsup:

What is your budget? max £600 but closer to £500 if possible

What size laptop do you want? Ideally 15" but no smaller than 14". They have an old Dell machine of mine running linux 13", but it's a touch too small and too high maintenance for them

Do you have resolution requirements? Not overly important

Do you prefer a matte or glossy (reflective) screen? Not fussed

What will you be using the laptop for? Internet browsing, zoom, basic word processing

If you will be gaming, what games do you need to play? N/A

How long does the battery need to last? Not overly fussy

Does it need to be portable? Not overly fussed

Do you require Blu-Ray? No

Do you require HDMI output? No

Do you have a preferred brand? Not really but prefer larger brands such as Asus

Are there brands you would prefer to avoid? Chinese brands

Would you be happy with a refurbished laptop? No

Any other details you feel necessary... I want this to last for the in-laws as they never upgrade. So decent level of CPU and minimum 8Gb RAM. I think minimum 256gb SSD. Needs a decent webcam.
Hi, If we talk about a laptop for basic browsing or something like this, there are tons of option out there in the market. But I would suggest you pick a Lenovo Thinkpad model because it won't cost you more + simple to use,

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom