New laptop CPU & RAM issues

IamABC

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hi guys and gals, I wonder if someone could enlighten me please?

I have recently bought a new 2020 HP Pavillion Laptop to enable be to run video editing software. The specifications are as follows:
  • Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-1065G7 CPU @ 1.30GHz 1.50 GHz
  • 8.00 GB (7.70 GB usable)
  • 512 GB SSD
I currently Use Wondershare Filmora X which is relatively lightweight compared with some but Wondershare claims it needs:

• Intel i3 or better multicore processor, 2GHz or above
  • 4 GB RAM (8GB required for HD and 4K videos)
  • At least 10GB free hard-disk space for installation (SSD-Solid State Disk recommended for editing HD and 4K videos)
As this runs maybe twice a week the laptop should cope just fine as far as I can see, however when I do open Filmora or some video capture software, it usually stops responding for a minute or two and the CPU and RAM are usually maxed out meaning nothing works until it stops responding.

The biggest culprits I can find are Chrome and Bitdefender (sometimes Malwarebytes too).

My query is why would these seemingly use 60%+ of the RAM and often 80%+ of the CPU and that's while I am just using the internet?
  1. Bitdefender and Malwarebytes seemed to both run on a live basis (no scheduled scans)
  2. Chrome has just three extensions running and rarely have 5+ tabs open
I'm tempted to upgrade the RAM after Christmas to see if that works but having never done it before I might send it in when lockdown eases.
Thanks in advance.

If you are using the latest version of windows 10 do an update, the latest patch fixes a lot of bugs like this.
there is no real need to have two AVs Bitdefender and MBAM, they will compete for resources and give unpredictable results. I would remove one or the other and see if that improves things

So are Chrome and Bitdefender using high amounts of CPU only when you open Wondershare or are they running at 80%+ usage all the time, and opening a big program uses enough extra to slow the system down?

It's definitely not any lack of performance and is unlikely to be lack of memory, you're likely hitting some sort of bug.

If you are using the latest version of windows 10 do an update, the latest patch fixes a lot of bugs like this.
there is no real need to have two AVs Bitdefender and MBAM, they will compete for resources and give unpredictable results. I would remove one or the other and see if that improves things

Hi!

Thanks for your response, I apologise for the delay but I didn't have email notifications turned on.

I have made sure all updates are current and it does seem slightly better. Incidentally, I found that some software called Driver Boost was also sapping resources so that is now gone.

In terms of the AV point you made, I have looked into this and been advised that it is fine to run both as the AV runs constantly looking for known risks/issues where as MWB runs periodically and is more thorough. I understand what you are saying but for now I think I will run both to be safe.

So are Chrome and Bitdefender using high amounts of CPU only when you open Wondershare or are they running at 80%+ usage all the time, and opening a big program uses enough extra to slow the system down?

It's definitely not any lack of performance and is unlikely to be lack of memory, you're likely hitting some sort of bug.

Thanks for your response, I apologise for the delay but I didn't have email notifications turned on.

They seem to be running high all the time. As we speak, I have chrome open with four websites (not streaming or anything) and between chrome and bitdefender I am running at 72% of RAM even though the laptop has been on for a while (so automated background tasks such as backups and syncs are completed). So it doesn't take much to push it to 100% when I open Wondershare or others?

They seem to be running high all the time. As we speak, I have chrome open with four websites (not streaming or anything) and between chrome and bitdefender I am running at 72% of RAM even though the laptop has been on for a while (so automated background tasks such as backups and syncs are completed). So it doesn't take much to push it to 100% when I open Wondershare or others?

If you're seeing sustained high CPU use then I'd focus on that. That memory amount seems a bit on the high side but memory use is fairly dynamic with little in the way of penalty for grabbing large chunks when there's plenty to go around, it'll typically get released when necessary with no performance impact.

CPU use is a better diagnostic since it has a big impact on battery life if a program uses more than necessary so you can be certain if a program is averaging double digit percentages when doing nothing very much then there's something wrong.

If you're seeing sustained high CPU use then I'd focus on that. That memory amount seems a bit on the high side but memory use is fairly dynamic with little in the way of penalty for grabbing large chunks when there's plenty to go around, it'll typically get released when necessary with no performance impact.

CPU use is a better diagnostic since it has a big impact on battery life if a program uses more than necessary so you can be certain if a program is averaging double digit percentages when doing nothing very much then there's something wrong.

Thank you for that! You've been most helpful - I will try and get in touch with HP/PC world.

Thanks once again

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom