New laptop advice.

Jazz Monkey Jr

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I need some advice on a laptop for a student, I have seen a dual core one here, is this any good.
Any other advice?

She gets £600 to spend on a laptop, just for normal stuff, maybe watching DVD's, sorting out ipod tunes etc.

Morgan have some good deals on Tosh I would go for a robust machine with good connections dont worry about weight (unless its carried to lectures) i killed 2 laptops as a student (both cooked with over use and batts died quickly) so i would say go for a named brand as they are far longer lasting ACER arent great for longevity for entertainment genral use something like http://www.morgancomputers.co.uk/shop/detail.asp?ProductID=2017&CategoryID=11&SubCategoryID=239
for more office based stuff http://www.morgancomputers.co.uk/shop/detail.asp?ProductID=3504&CategoryID=11&SubCategoryID=222 Morgan seem better than they used to be, but i havent used them recently

If you do decide to go with an Acer laptop check Comet online before you buy. I've been looking for one lately and Comet have been far cheaper than anywhere else for certain models. I don't think they have the 5602 but they do have the 5612 model for £599 which has 1gb ram instead of 512mb and also has an 80Gb hard drive rather than 60gb.

I've also heard that Acer maybe aren't as tough as some other brands but to get another brand with similar spec usually costs a fair bit more.

It's also always worth keeping an eye on Dell to see if they have any crazy offers on at the mo. Deals can change weekly so it's worth checking up. Keep an eye on the section that shows you the machines that are being advertised in the press/media as these tend to be the more spectacular deals.

It's a bit of a minefield choosing a laptop at the mo (well, always actually!), good luck !

Graham27 said:
If you do decide to go with an Acer laptop check Comet online before you buy. I've been looking for one lately and Comet have been far cheaper than anywhere else for certain models. Comet currently have the 5612 model for £599 (the site you linked to has it at £659) which has 1gb ram instead of 512mb and also has an 80Gb hard drive rather than 60gb.

I've also heard that Acer maybe aren't as tough as some other brands but to get another brand with similar spec usually costs a fair bit more.

It's always worth keeping an eye on Dell to see if they have any crazy offers on at the mo. Deals can change weekly so it's worth checking up. Keep an eye on the section that shows you the machines that are being advertised in the press/media as these tend to be the more spectacular deals.

It's a bit of a minefield choosing a laptop at the mo (well, always actually!), good luck !

Best Dell bargains to be had are at www.dell.co.uk/outlet

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom