New Laptop advice

elsmore1

Standard Member
Hello All,

I have been looking at a new laptop for under £500. I plan to use for general browsing, excel, word, music and video such as netflix. No gaming required except for basic games. I have been looking at maybe an intel i3, 8GB Ram and on windows. The Lenovo ipad 3 seems quite a good deal. I think that I will go with Intel rather than Ryzen as I read they are better. Its going to be a general family laptop, used for homework etc. I do tend to use BT cloud or dropbox as well. We have fibre interent so hopefully that will be all good. I like to have an RJ45 port just for backup, but I guess I could get a USB to RJ45 converter if needed?

Thanks for any advice

Atomic77

hmm I have heard both good things and bad things about Lenovo but I am not familier with that brand. I am from the USA so I don't know whats available where ever you are. My Laptop I got just this last summer July 2020 is a HP and it has a Ryzen 5 in it was $599.99 from CostCo.

RicksonGracie1972

Distinguished Member
Hello All,

I have been looking at a new laptop for under £500. I plan to use for general browsing, excel, word, music and video such as netflix. No gaming required except for basic games. I have been looking at maybe an intel i3, 8GB Ram and on windows. The Lenovo ipad 3 seems quite a good deal. I think that I will go with Intel rather than Ryzen as I read they are better. Its going to be a general family laptop, used for homework etc. I do tend to use BT cloud or dropbox as well. We have fibre interent so hopefully that will be all good. I like to have an RJ45 port just for backup, but I guess I could get a USB to RJ45 converter if needed?

Thanks for any advice
I would try and get an i5. I bought two laptops for my kids at the beginning of April for their school work, one was an ASUS and the other an ACER. Both with i5 processors, 8GB ram and SSD's. One was £499 and the other was £529. Both are super fast for everything they and I have done with them.

I myself have a 4 year old Toshiba with an i3 and 6gb ram and its painfully slow in comparison which means I'm actually shopping for a new laptop myself.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: CES '22 TV Announcement Round-up, Plus, Most Anticipated Movies of 2022 and More...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom