Question New laptop advice

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by Deleted member 598831, Apr 12, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Deleted member 598831

Deleted member 598831

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi folk's.

Looking for a new laptop. As I use my phone for nearly everything I only want a laptop to run anthem arc and to rip blu ray to a nas.

Plan is to use laptop to rip discs to nas and stream using oppo 105 as the player.

Any recommendations?

My current laptop is windows 7.

Kind regards
    Steve

2. EndlessWaves

EndlessWaves
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,341
    Your choice basically hinges on two questions.

1. Do you want a laptop with a blu-ray drive built in or will you be using an external drive? We've passed the high point for disc drives in laptops and they're being phased out. A quick check shows blu-ray drive equipped laptops are rather expensive.

2. Are you just remuxing when you rip or transcoding too? Remuxing doesn't take much CPU power so the limitation of rip speed will be the blu-ray drive and laptop performance isn't very important. If you also want to transcode to a newer, more efficient video format like HEVC or VP9 then CPU power and/or transcoding circuitry (Quicksync or NVENC) is something you'll want to consider.

If you are transcoding, you'll also want to know which technologies your transcoding application supports. There's no point in paying extra for a laptop with NVENC for example if your transcoder software can't use it.

3. Deleted member 598831

Deleted member 598831

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thank you for the reply.

I think the format i need to rip blu ray is mkv?

My plan was to buy an innuos zen for oppo, its a one box solution to store blu ray. But thinking i need a new laptop as its getting on a bit and really slow.

I apologise for my lack of computer knowledge but how expensive we talking for laptop with bd drive?

What stand alone unit would i look for?

Edit....just a quick look about 1k for a laptop with blu ray?

Cheers
    Steve