New Laptop Advice

UrbanBumpkin

Standard Member
Hope you can help.

I'm currently looking for a new lap top to be used for internet browsing, downloading music, playing you tube, the odd spreadsheet / word doc and that's about it. It doesn't necessarily need to portable, more of desktop replacement, a 15" -17" screen would be an ideal. I don't use it for gaming.

Ideally I'd like to be spending about £350-£450 maybe a bit more if it's worth spending an extra few quid.

My existing Acer is about 5 years old and is extremely slow and I'm in need of something much faster. I have a I-Tunes, Photos on my existing lap top and would obviously need to transfer this to the new one or another external device. Is there a better way to do this other than storing them on the actual laptop?

Any suggestions on a spec or a make model would be greatly appreciated?

Many Thanks

Clive

RichardZE2

Novice Member
Post your current laptops model, specs and OS - you may be able to make a massive improvement on its performance for a very small cost, not enough RAM tends to cripple older machines and its a cheap upgrade.

UrbanBumpkin

Standard Member
Thanks for your reply Richard. I currently have a
Acer Aspire 5021WLMi - Turion 64 ML-28 799 MHz- 15.4"

Apparently I believe my spec is as follows:-

Processor

Processor AMD Turion 64 mobile technology ML-28 / 1.6 GHz
64-bit Computing Yes
Chipset Type ATI Radeon 128MB

Cache Memory
Type L2 cache
Installed Size 512.0 KB
RAM

Installed Size 512.0 MB / 2.0 GB (max)
Technology DDR SDRAM Configuration Features 2 x 256 MB

Hard Drive 100 GB

Running windows XP Home edition.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated

Many Thanks

Clive

jagr

UrbanBumpkin

Standard Member
Thanks for the recomendations Jagr.

I know changing the RAM on laptops is fairly straight forward. How easy is it to change the hard drive?

Regarding the Refurb laptops will I be running into the same problems reagrding having to up grade or uying a new one in 2-3 years?

UrbanBumpkin

Standard Member
Thanks all for your advice. I ended going for the Acer 5750, picked one up a couple of days ago from PC World in the end. Increadibly fast, Superb!!!

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Philips OLED+935 impressions, Denon AVC110 Review, Film Reviews, News and More...
Top Bottom