New Laptop advice on software licences needed

windup

Established Member
Reaction score
A friend intends to buy a new windows laptop in new year. Unfortunately lives some distance away so I can't go with her. She intends to buy from Currys for convenience .. yes I know !!

On a previous visit she was told she had to pay annually for the windows package !!.. I have just called sales and they tell me its for the Office package, either £79 one off or annually. What other horrors will she find out when buying a new laptop ? I usually load my own software so can't really advise her to do this.

Also the Care package.. they say it allows return to store in event of a problem . but surely retailers are liable under the new sales act .. anyone with experience of all these issues please advise.

Windows 8.1 is buy once. Office 365 is an annual subscription and includes cloud storage. Really only worth it if you require the extras like MS Publisher or have 3 - 5 machines - as it is a family licence and can also be used on iPads as well. Office 2013 is about the same price for a single machine in perpetuity, but does not include any cloud storage or MS Publisher, use on iPads etc.

Care package is useful for non-techies, as it allows you to have any software issues sorted for free. Yes, the machine is covered under warranty, but as most issues are caused by the user or software, this would not be covered, hence the warranty.

I buy my machines from Ebuyer and look after them myself, but sometimes a care package is the right thing for some people.

Can't you point her to something on amazon rather than her getting fleeced by Currys for Office software and extended warranties

Windows 8.1 is buy once. Office 365 is an annual subscription and includes cloud storage. Really only worth it if you require the extras like MS Publisher or have 3 - 5 machines - as it is a family licence and can also be used on iPads as well. Office 2013 is about the same price for a single machine in perpetuity, but does not include any cloud storage or MS Publisher, use on iPads etc.

Care package is useful for non-techies, as it allows you to have any software issues sorted for free. Yes, the machine is covered under warranty, but as most issues are caused by the user or software, this would not be covered, hence the warranty.

I buy my machines from Ebuyer and look after them myself, but sometimes a care package is the right thing for some people.
Thanks .. so to ask the obvious .. I haven't bought a laptop for years and anyway load my own software.. when you buy the laptop win 8.1 is included in the price ?? and Office is supplied on a 30 days trial ? or do they try and load up the price before you purchase ??

Can't you point her to something on amazon rather than her getting fleeced by Currys for Office software and extended warranties
yes I would but she is 'determined' to go to Currys for convenience unless I can persuade her otherwise... I just need to know all the tricks they will try on her.

Correct, Windows will be pre-loaded and paid for and you will get an Office trial for 30 days as well. No need to buy this if you don't want it though. Free alternatives are available.

Correct, Windows will be pre-loaded and paid for and you will get an Office trial for 30 days as well. No need to buy this if you don't want it though. Free alternatives are available.
Ok .. many thanks .. I'll have to convince my friend to be aware of the sales hype.
I usually strip out all the bloatware myself but newbies are so vulnerable.
Merry Christmas to all.

I know what you mean. Bloatware tends to be manufacturer specific. I have bought a couple of HPs for my kids for Christmas and it took me a day to strip them both down and get them how I want them.

Is she at Uni? if so she can get Office cheap anyway. But she will will definitely be walking out of Curry's with and extended warranty and some antivirus software if she doesn't keep her wits about her

Is she at Uni? if so she can get Office cheap anyway. But she will will definitely be walking out of Curry's with and extended warranty and some antivirus software if she doesn't keep her wits about her
unfortunately at the wrong end of life, nearing retirement. PC literate but only as a user and has an iPad but wants a laptop now. So it might be worth her getting 365 after all to share with iPad .. any advice on free Office alternatives welcome.

Most of the momentum for OpenOffice got killed off with the Oracle takeover of Sun. Apache are trying to rebuild it, but these days the LibraOffice fork seems to have more momentum so is a better choice.

Software-wise the operating system is included as standard. This will be windows on the majority of laptops but there are a few offering ChromeOS or Android.

Windows these days includes an anti-virus, although third party ones have their place if you need better protection .

Many software manufacturers do offer to pay laptop manufacturers to include free trials of their software so when it comes to the tight margins of budget laptops you tend to get multiple trials included.

Hardware-wise it's worth pointing out that low power systems are being pushed heavily at the budget end to compete with tablets and laptops running Chrome OS ('Chromebooks', which are cheaper because they have no hard drive or OS licensing costs). This means that the difference between the a typical budget laptop processor and the mid-range has increased quite a bit so if she needs something with a bit of power/longevity she may not be able to get away with the cheapeast machine even if she has in the past.

Most of the momentum for OpenOffice got killed off with the Oracle takeover of Sun. Apache are trying to rebuild it, but these days the LibraOffice fork seems to have more momentum so is a better choice.

Software-wise the operating system is included as standard. This will be windows on the majority of laptops but there are a few offering ChromeOS or Android.

Windows these days includes an anti-virus, although third party ones have their place if you need better protection .

Many software manufacturers do offer to pay laptop manufacturers to include free trials of their software so when it comes to the tight margins of budget laptops you tend to get multiple trials included.

Hardware-wise it's worth pointing out that low power systems are being pushed heavily at the budget end to compete with tablets and laptops running Chrome OS ('Chromebooks', which are cheaper because they have no hard drive or OS licensing costs). This means that the difference between the a typical budget laptop processor and the mid-range has increased quite a bit so if she needs something with a bit of power/longevity she may not be able to get away with the cheapeast machine even if she has in the past.
many thanks for all advice given .. at the end of the day it will be her decision so all I can do is let her know what dangers lurk ahead.
Happy New Year to all... as for me it's a new 4K TV .. how difficult can that be LOL !!!

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom