New laptop advice for someone in their 60's and up to £400

RussboyG

Standard Member
So my Dads currently got a quite low spec desktop thats ok but being that I bought it & built it via ebay about 6 yrs ago he wants to move into the 21st century.

For Christmas he's bringing his tv up set, phone & internet into one package so is moving up to Virgin Media on their 10mb broadband set up.

Reason for this is his current internet set up is unreliable.

I'm going to be getting a wireless router for him so now just need a new laptop. Followed the guide on here so would appreciate your help on what you think we should be going for:

What is your budget? - Up to £400, prefer between £300 & £400 though
What size laptop do you want? - 15”+
Do you have resolution requirements? - Don’t know
Do you want a matte or glossy (reflective) screen? - Not fussed
What will you be using the laptop for? – Email, eBay etc, nothing processor intensive
If you will be gaming, what games do you need to play? – N/A
How long does the battery need to last? – 3+ hrs without recharge would be cool
Does it need to be portable? – Yes
Will you be taking it out and about or just leaving it at home on a desk – Bit of both
Do you require Blu-Ray? – No
Do you require HDMI output? - No
Do you have a preferred brand? – No, although I suppose something he will recognise would be nice
Are there brands you would prefer to avoid? - No, but cheapies from eBay I think should be avoided
Would you be happy with a refurbished laptop? - No, needs to be brand new with warranty
Other spec – At least 2 GB of RAM & 200GB hard drive, wifi

RussboyG

Standard Member
Cool, thanks I will have a look.

I see mention on the other thread of an ipad 2 as well, thing is I think that may confuse my Dad but when they go to their holiday place (no internet set up there) he could poss use this.

Decisions, decisions!!

virtual_boy

I think iOS is perfect for older and less tech savvy users, it wouldn't even need to be an iPad 2 as a second hand first gen would do the trick.
I know what parents are like with tech and especially computers, they are always clicking pop-ups, downloading crap 'by accident' or simply pressing the wrong key and not knowing what they changed or how, who ends up 'fixing' it for them every five minutes? Us lol
I picked up an iPad for my parents for exactly this reason and I've not had them call me for help yet...

Last edited:

EndlessWaves

Distinguished Member
I think iOS is perfect for older and less tech savvy users, it wouldn't even need to be an iPad 2 as a second hand first gen would do the trick.

If he's after the communications aspect like e-mail and ebay then I'd imagine the lack of a decent keyboard on the iPad will be a deal breaker there, that's more of a young man's toy for those who want fancy, whizzy multimedia experiences.

And if he's a regular ebay user he's unlikely to be gullible.

For his use specs are irrelevant, so I'd advise finding somewhere locally with a good choice of brands and models and trying them so he can find one that's responsive and nice to use, if it's out of your budget you can always look online for discounts or lower spec versions of that model.

RussboyG

Standard Member
If he's after the communications aspect like e-mail and ebay then I'd imagine the lack of a decent keyboard on the iPad will be a deal breaker there, that's more of a young man's toy for those who want fancy, whizzy multimedia experiences.

And if he's a regular ebay user he's unlikely to be gullible.

For his use specs are irrelevant, so I'd advise finding somewhere locally with a good choice of brands and models and trying them so he can find one that's responsive and nice to use, if it's out of your budget you can always look online for discounts or lower spec versions of that model.

You're right, lack of keyboard is something that he would def not like.

Got to buy on line really as its a Christmas present but I know he'll be happy with whatever I get as his current desktop is so slow, especially when you combine that with his terribly slow net connection.

As it happens i've now gotta look for 2 as sister in law is after one for Christmas as well, same budget which makes it easier :smashin:

virtual_boy

The keyboard issue is easily solved with a Bluetooth keyboard, the ones that come as part of a protective case would be a good option.
But if it's not what your after then perhaps check out the laptops on the dell outlet.

RussboyG

Standard Member
Def not going to go for an ipad as I just dont think it'll suit my Dad.

The wife said I had to have a look on Tescos website, bit scheptical but for RAM & storage size they seem pretty good around the £300 mark.

Quick question, presume DDR3 is better than DDR2?

Also in what order do processors go in respect from bad to worse? Just no idea whats a good processor these days!

Are there any better makes or is it just the buyers choice, seems to be plenty to choose from as in Acer, Dell, Sony, HP, Samsung, Toshiba, Compaq etc etc

Thanks all

Russ

irradiated

Novice Member
for cpu's id look for i3 or i5 sandybridge, there newer and a little bit faster and less power use than earlier i core series
yes ddr3 is faster than ddr2 although in the real world im not saying youd notice
oh and if it was me, i'd look for a usb3 port too for future use ;)

RussboyG

Standard Member
Anyone else able to offer advise? Need to crack on get this ordered in the next day or so I think

Cheers

Russ

RussboyG

Standard Member
Budget has been capped at £350 so the choices are:

i3 processors:

http://www.saveonlaptops.co.uk/Toshiba_Satellite_Pro_C660-21C_1102627.html

http://www.comet.co.uk/p/Laptops/buy-ASUS-X54H-SX105V-Laptop/764981

other processors:

http://www.laptopsdirect.co.uk/Lenovo_B570_Windows_7_Laptop__M58FJUK/version.asp#maindesc

http://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/samsung-np-s3520-a03dx-15-6-laptop-silver-11296508-pdt.html

Any opinions on above? I hate the thought of buying from comet, currys, pc world etc but on this occassion they do seem to have some competative deals

Cheers,

Russ

maf1970

The i3 processors are OK. Wouldn't touch either of the other processor choices. Comet / Currys seem to have the best deals just now. Don't be drawn into buying their extra cover. If you want to extend the warranty on the machine do it with the maker direct. (Can be done anytime before standard warranty runs out and can be well worth it to give the machine a decent life span. When I spec Dell machines for people I always include the 3 year warranty option.)

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Samsung TV Launch & QN95A Neo QLED Review, plus Film & TV news & Reviews
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom