• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

New laptop advice for HD video

Pez1702

Novice Member
I'm looking for a new laptop. I've searched the forums but am still at a loss...

I currently have a samsung tv with dlna that I use to watch movies on my external nas (buffalo linkstation) but most of my hd content won't play. Furthermore they do no play smoothly on my laptop either.

So what I want is a laptop that can easily play and convert HD video and ideally stream it to my tv, or, failing that, can just play it through an hdmi cable.

I won't ever play games on it, so don't need a gaming graphics card, but I do want one that will handle hd video.

Apart from video editing, the laptop will be used for graphic design as well as the usual internet email blah blah blah...

Budget - up to £600
Size - 15-17"
Display - 1080
Bluray is required

Apart from that, I'm not too fussy. I don't really care what the brand is as long as it is decent, and I don't really care too much about looks. I have a nas so don't care too much about hard drive size, I think most new laptops would be adequate.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

next010

Distinguished Member
Before you go spending money what make laptop do you currently have as you could possibly avoid spending money unless you really want a new laptop.

Secondly install Serviio on your laptop, when the Samsung TV IP address appears in Serviio control panel (see renderer profiles) apply the Samsung profile to it which will tell Serviio when to convert and when not to.

Also a cheap way to avoid having to transcode video at all, would be buy a WDTV Live for £89 and forget about the Samsung media player.

Anything with a Core i3/5 processor is fine for the task transcoding wise, use a media player with hardware acceleration support like MPC-HC, you must also have an up to date build of Direct-X installed for Direct-X Video Acceleration to work which offloads the video from the CPU to the hardware decoder in the GPU but this does not apply to real time transcoding tasks.

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom