• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

New Lamp or Replace Projector

artemis60

Standard Member
So my VPL-HS10 lamp is nearing the end of its life (done 2850 hrs since August 2003 and still going but getting a bit dim) Now do I replace the lamp at about £300, unless someone knows a cheap supplier or do I replace the projector?

I wouldn't want to spend much more than about a £1000 and don't know if that would get me anything better than I already have?

A couple of other points, the position of the projector is fixed so any replacement would need the same sort of throw as the HS10 and as the wiring is buried into the walls and ceiling I am stuck with the Sony cable (component s-video and composite all in one) which only fits the HS10 I guess and a DVI cable, I bet not many modern projectors come with DVI input.

Any thoughts or suggestions

cyberheater

Prominent Member
Well for starters. You can pick up a cheap DVI to hdmi adapter. That should help with your choices.

robfitzp

Established Member
Nice to see another HS10 owner given so many people on here upgrade every year!

You can get the bulb on pricejapan for about 200 euro - I bought my last hs10 bulb from them a couple of years ago and had no problems - did not attract customs attention though that might have been down to luck.

I have been weighing up the same question for the past few months. I guess it comes down to whether you are still happy with the image etc? If you are, no real reason to bin it as the HS10 is not really worth anything now.

For me, the fan noise is the biggest irritation and after living with it for nearly 6 years I have had enough. So a JVC HD750 is now on order:Dand I am giving the HS10 to a mate - have to try and drag more people into this money pit....

Issue you may have with replacements is that the HS10 is fairly long throw - Z2000 is a nice unit but much shorter throw. A friend's Z5 would not work in the position my HS10 is mounted for instance. Zoom ranges seem a bit more flexible now though so check the range calculators to see if they would work.

Cheers
Rob

spooney

Prominent Member
I was in a similar situation recentl (Z4 actually) and had a hard time thinking it over and over again. I fully understand your situation.

I was very happy with my pj and there was no real reason to replace it. I talked with a lot of people and the commonn sense was: Either spent serious money on a 1080p or stick to it. The difference between a budget 1080p and your current (well, in my case calibrated) image might not be worth the price difference.

True: Throw-range might become an issue but this is something easily to be figured out (www.projectorcentral.com)

In case you are interested: I am waiting for my pre-ordered HC7000 and waiting and waiting :(

artemis60

Standard Member
Thanks for all the thoughts, given me something to think about.

A new lamp from price japan 248 euros or a new projector @ 1200 pounds-ish

I was quite happy with the picture from the hs10 but since getting a HDTV and Sky HD the picture from the projector has not looked quite so good but this maybe down to the lamp nearing the end of its life, but i agree with Rob the noise is intrusive and after 5 years, it may be time for a change, although i'm not sure.

Rob, when you replaced the lamp in your HS10 was there a noticable improvement?

If I replace the HS10 the Z2000 fits the bill price wise and throw wise although I will have to get a DVI to HDMI adaptor and I will have to try and mod the Sony HS10 cable to use the component as I am still using this for Xbox.

I will now go and checkout the z2000 thread, any known faults with this projector?

robfitzp

Established Member
If you are up to 2850 hours on the original bulb there should be a hell of a difference from replacing it - mine only lasted 2100 hours of low setting usage before it fell off the cliff. It was like getting a new projector at the time!

There are some good reviews of the Z2000 eg projectorreviews.com. From memory the only downsides were it was not suited to larger screens and the video processing was not great for SD sources. Very quiet though - my HS10 gripe made me look at one.

Good luck modding the pj-multi cable!

Cheers
Rob

artemis60

Standard Member
So I've been looking at lots of stuff on here and avs forums and got to reading the threads about 1080p vs 720p projectors and can you really tell the difference?

I watch my hs10 5 metres from a 100inch diagonal screen and it seems i might not be able to tell the difference between the 2 types at this distance, as the hs10 is a 720p (if you can get the resultion right with powerstrip and your Graphics card:mad:) there may not be any need to upgrade, except of course the noise and I guess black levels will be far better from a newer projector.

I may be better going for a better 720p projector than the Z2000, thoughts anyone?

robfitzp

Established Member
I think you can clearly tell the difference in resolution - would suggest you demo a few units before parting with any cash. I would not be buying a new 720p projector now though - with the prices of 1080s falling so much they cannot be long for this world (IMHO).

What about a lightly used more recent 720 from the regular upgraders in the classifieds?

Cheers
Rob

Last edited:

beetle

Established Member
Hi mate,just throwing in my tuppence worth...I recently joined the pj ranks and bought Panasonic PTAX200E 720p HD for the princely sum of £700.I added a Grandview Electric Screen (£250) and must admit I have been in awe ever since ! Now I realise that 1080p true HD would be even better but to be honest like many people budget was a BIG factor in all of this....all I can say is it was definitely the right decision.Watching movies on SKY HD (I also until recently used a Toshiba HD EP 30 for HD DVD movies ) and I find both sources are stunning via my Panny PJ.I think a 1080p pj will be even more awesome (but only for my Blu-Ray...) as others have said this is not the time to invest in one...my plan is to give it 9months to a year and trade up.I am no expert by the way but do know good quality image when I see it... good luck in making your decision though and let us know what you decide.

spooney

Prominent Member
I will now go and checkout the z2000 thread, any known faults with this projector?

It gets good reviews and is one of the least expensive 1080p. Very sharp image. Very quiet. The sliding door is great for avoiding dust on the lense,
The biggest complaint is it looks like a toaster :devil: (actually my better half said that about my Z4 which sits in the same case type)

kbfern

Distinguished Member
I think lamps4u may be out of business as I have tried to contact them half a dozen times by phone over the last couple of months and left messages and no one has got back.

Last time I called a week ago the message box is full,so it looks like no one is picking up messages.:(

The latest video from AVForums

Is 8K TV dead? Philips OLED+907, Pioneer LX505 AVR plus B&W 700 S3 Reviews & Visit + AV/HiFi News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom