New Kuro owner

AES25L

Novice Member
Hi All, Recently bought a 508XD and moved my 2011 Samsung 46" LCD to the bedroom. Pretty impressed with the quality tbh, can understand why you have to spend a lot of money to improve on it and for £100 collected locally I think it was a bargain.

It's got me into the bug (which was previously more directed to audio).....now just secured a 5080 with below screen speaker and remote (508XD came with non pioneer remote and no speaker) for £52 :)

It's unfortunately got 1 green hot pixel in left top but thinking of stashing and replacing the 508XD with it if it fails - the remote and speaker is easily worth the money on their own. My question is does 1 hot pixel mean it's on it's way out and more will follow - in which case I'll advertise for £52 noting the fault? Also, is the 5080 much better than the 508 and worth swapping despite pixel or will that annoy after a while and not really give any improvement?

I will try and bodge the speaker to fit or alternatively hook behind the screen at the top firing up which I think should still give ok sound for general watching as we use a Yamaha YSP-2500 for movies and this may look odd sitting right below speaker if I mount at the bottom.

For background I've got the Denon 3930 in bedroom and using a Pioneer 51FD/Sky with main screen in lounge - the BR is better than the 3930 for picture which given the amazing build of the Denon I'm disappointed in (as I'd love to have it in the lounge). Additionally we have a 2018 65" Samsung in log cabin but picture quality on that is not as good as the other TV's - decent for cinema feel though.

Thanks
Andy

Timmy C

Distinguished Member
I think the 508 is better than the 5080 isn't it? As I recall it's the same TV only the 508 has some extra features.

AES25L

Novice Member
Thanks, I believe the 5080 is fully HD versus 508 not fully but that does not mean everything if processer was better in the 508 - I maybe wrong though.

Timmy C

Distinguished Member
The 5080 is definitely not full HD. I have two of them so certain of that. Of the 8th gen models, the only full HD one was the 508D (not to be confused with the 508xd). If the 8th gen model features followed that of the 7th gen then the 5080 is the more stripped down version with the 508xd having ISF options and probably a fancier remote.

Last edited:

Timmy C

Distinguished Member
Oh that one is very much a 1080p model. Although I don't have one, I do have a KRP which is notably better than the 5080's. I would have thought you would still be happier with the 5090 even with the stuck pixel. That said, I still watch Sky HD on my 4280 and 5080 on a regular basis and don't find myself itching to upgrade so try both and see which you like best.

AES25L

Novice Member
Thanks Timmy. I swapped over from the 508XD to the LX5090 last night and we enjoyed a film, a little better PQ than the 508XD but certainly not light and day.

Unfortunately today it seems to have the '9 blink fault' - hence probably explains why I got the TV for £52 :) - still happy though as the speaker is excellent sound and original remote is also superb.

From a quick search it seems I can get the TV repaired for £250 and perfectly happy with the single hot green pixel which is really not noticeable unless you are looking for it (3/4's way up right on left). What I'm slightly worried about is getting the 9 blink fault fixed and then coming across the 8 blink fault a little later down the line? May ask for a price to replace both elements as it must be a fair bit cheaper once they already have the back off etc.

My question is have many people had the screens fixed and had decent service afterwards or is the fix in someway unreliable / lead to other faults?

My idea is to get the LX5090 up and repaired and stash the 508XD for when the LX5090 fails (although obviously spending £250 to repair I'd hope for a few years service).

Any thoughts / advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks

AES25L

Novice Member
Actually....seems to turn on once left for short while via mains switch (rather than on/off)...good if I can still use as wife and son would be very unhappy me asking them to help lift swap over again :)

Still the plan is to get fixed though, just good I don't have to swap over again today!

Timmy C

Distinguished Member
If that's the genuine Pioneer undermount speaker then it has a second hand value of over 52 quid alone so even if you dump the TV you still got a good deal. I don't think I would spend 250 on a repair though. If it were me I'd put the 508 back and hang on to the £250 until another 5090 or better still a KRP comes along at a good price.

AES25L

Novice Member
Yes it's the original 5090 speaker and remote which is why I bought the set (508xr is perfect picture fortunately but did not come with speaker and had a cheap after market remote).

I think you are right, put the 508xr back up and enjoy that until it goes wrong (at which point I could probably still repair either of buy something else).

Thanks for input channel 😊

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Hisense A7G, Zidoo Z1000 & Kudos Cardea C10 Reviews + Movie News and Reviews
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom