New kitchen fit issues - Advice required

dobbin44

Established Member
Reaction score
Help. Recently paid 13k for a complete kitchen refit which hasn't gone as smooth as I would have liked. Missing doors. Incorrect colour cornice, poorly installed under cupboard lights and what I consider to be a generally shoddy finish on top of the cupboards.
Wiring has electrical tape on and a splodge of filler over wires that go to the oven housing.
Out of sight but not what I would expect to see and I'm not sure how safe.
Extractor ducting also looks shoddy and I feel lacks quality.
To top it all my ceiling has cracked, upstand has scorched at the back of the hob and MDF skirting board has blown in a few places after we mopped the floor.
Will be contacting the company tomorrow due to the upstand scorching tonight, but generally I want to give them a right verbal bashing.
Any thoughts and advice would be appreciated.
I've attached some photos of the issues

Attachments

• IMG_0107.JPG
    IMG_0107.JPG
    825.6 KB · Views: 723
  • IMG_0108.JPG
    IMG_0108.JPG
    822.2 KB · Views: 707
  • IMG_0110.JPG
    IMG_0110.JPG
    392.1 KB · Views: 691
  • IMG_0111.JPG
    IMG_0111.JPG
    461 KB · Views: 697
  • IMG_0113.JPG
    IMG_0113.JPG
    638.9 KB · Views: 694
  • IMG_0117.JPG
    IMG_0117.JPG
    467.2 KB · Views: 708
  • IMG_3166.JPG
    IMG_3166.JPG
    19.7 KB · Views: 673
  • IMG_3165.JPG
    IMG_3165.JPG
    32.6 KB · Views: 675
  • IMG_3156.JPG
    IMG_3156.JPG
    21.9 KB · Views: 686
  • IMG_3168.JPG
    IMG_3168.JPG
    24.2 KB · Views: 681
That's a horrible job... are they finished?

I was just about to ask the same thing, it's as though they haven't finished yet. If they have, that's absolutely shoddy work. A couple of hours tidying things up would have made it look a lot better, I can't understand why anyone would leave it like that.

That's a horrible job... are they finished?
Apart from the fitting of one missing door and replacement cornice which is due to be done on Friday. Yes.
Seriously thinking of taking some action, but I have to be careful in knowing what my rights are.

Paint didn't adhere to the ceiling where the crack appeared.
First coat was watered down, but there was an an area where it just didn't cover. I've filed the crack and rubbed it down, but the paint just kept peeling as I rubbed. Hopefully when I repaint the blemish will disappear.
Annoying thing is that no advice was given regarding the new plaster for painting and I've followed the manufacturers instructions.
Never experienced anything like this before.
I've searched the net and everyone recommends not using upstands at the back of a gas hob as they will blister. The gas hob seems to be too close to the upstand. It's all getting rather stressful.

All paid for.
Kitchen company uses contractors. So I paid for plastering/ electrical and fitting all separately. I didn't notice the top of the cupboards till I started painting. I complained and the Electrician came back to tidy the cabling up as it looked worse than it does now and to replace the fittings for the under lights as they weren't functioning correctly. A plasterer came back to see the ceiling and he said there wasn't much they could do and he suggested I fill the crack and repaint.
Fitter has been backwards and forwards since the installation fitting the cornice and missing doors, but he has had issues with the colour/damage to cornice and wrong size doors being supplied.
I just can't get to grips with the finishing as it just looks shoddy.
I know some of it is out of sight, but generally I don't consider it to be acceptable.
Annoying thing is that I think the whole installation has been done incorrectly.
Thankfully I did pay the Kitchen company partially with my credit card. Just not sure where the buck lies with.

Apart from the fitting of one missing door and replacement cornice which is due to be done on Friday. Yes.
Seriously thinking of taking some action, but I have to be careful in knowing what my rights are.
Dont pay see there boss

Can you show us a photo of the complete kitchen from a distance, the close up pics look awful, just wondering about how it looks in general

You need to carefully check your contract to see what it says as certain things they may not be liable for, like the decorating. Agree for 13k its shoddy work.

One bit of good news (so to speak) though, the gas hob looks like it is fitted to close too the wall. I assume you have the installation instructions for the hob? If so check the stated clearance against the clearance present. If under then you have a powerful card you can use

Last edited:
You need to carefully check your contract to see what it says as certain things they may not be liable for, like the decorating. Agree for 13k its shoddy work.

One bit of good news (so to speak) though, the gas hob looks like it is fitted to close too the wall. I assume you have the installation instructions for the hob? If so check the stated clearance against the clearance present. If under then you have a powerful card you can use

Any signs of scorching is a safety defect anyway so the op has got grounds to kick off on that basis alone

Very true @Fergal82

Add the fact that you can call gas safe who will do a free inspection, force the installer to put the gas side correct (at there expense) and prosecute as required. And it's a very powerful card

Very shoddy work. The electrics don't comply with Regs. Cables should be clipped and LED drivers and junction boxes should be secured from movement. Also, in your picture of the cooker hood, there appears to be a plastic bag inside the unit? That looks like it should have been removed and doesn't look right, could be a fire hazzard.

Can you show us a photo of the complete kitchen from a distance, the close up pics look awful, just wondering about how it looks in general

The kitchen generally looks fine and I will take a couple of photos when I get home later today

Very shoddy work. The electrics don't comply with Regs. Cables should be clipped and LED drivers and junction boxes should be secured from movement. Also, in your picture of the cooker hood, there appears to be a plastic bag inside the unit? That looks like it should have been removed and doesn't look right, could be a fire hazzard.

The plastic bag is actually Tape wrapped round the extractor vent and extractor hose. Doesn't look right in my eyes and surely this could be done better.

Regarding the paint on the ceiling I had a similar experience myself. I went to give my ceiling a second coat and it all started to peel off.
I scrapped it all off ( complete nightmare) and then used screwfix bare plaster paint : No Nonsense Trade Bare Plaster Paint Brilliant White 10Ltr
which did adhere correctly. Two coats of that plus a standard kitchen paint top coat and all is well.

Thanks for the info. I will look into this.
Have to agree, scraping the paint off is a nightmare.

The decorating wasn't part of the contract I'm told (Lesson learnt with this)
Quite happy to do it myself, but the cracked ceiling and the peeling paint was not something I expected.
The gas hob instructions state a minimum of 50mm gap to wall for the recess to accept the hob.
With the hob fitted we are about 19mm to the upstand.
Way too close in my book and the large burner on the hob is at the back.

The dishwasher/washing machine waste should go into a spigot trap, not straight into the waste. It contravenes Part H of the building regs.

A lot of the pics of the top of the units look perfectly normal to me. It just needs cleaning.

Last edited:
The decorating wasn't part of the contract I'm told (Lesson learnt with this)
Quite happy to do it myself, but the cracked ceiling and the peeling paint was not something I expected.
The gas hob instructions state a minimum of 50mm gap to wall for the recess to accept the hob.
With the hob fitted we are about 19mm to the upstand.
Way too close in my book and the large burner on the hob is at the back.
In that case (bar the decorating) say that unless they fix and replace (where needed) all the issues in a reasonable time, you will call gas safe in to inspect and prosecute. Same goes with whatever electrical body they should be part of, but that's not my area

I thought there had to be certain distance between sockets and sink and is it safe to screw a plastic socket to the top of a wooden unit.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom