New kid on the block need help & guidance

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Buying & Building' started by roadrunner7, Jan 2, 2007.

1. roadrunner7

roadrunner7

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    happy new year guys, this is my first posting and i need your help can you please advise the best way of being able to listen to music and watch tv / satalite / dvd in most rooms in my house.
    At present i don't have much idea about hardware and costs but all replys will be reviewed and consideredforwardto you answers:
    I have been told by a friend that I should consider upgrading my computer and use cat 5 cable but this doesen't really mean anything to me a total novice.

If you need any further info please mail me and I'll try and be more spacific
    look
    Thanks for your help

2. BruceH

BruceH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    I think your question is probably a bit general to get an answer.
    But I'll try and give you a few pointers.

option 1)
    Go to a professional install company, give them a pile of money and ask them to do it.

option 2)
    Do a lot of reading / experimenting and do it yourself, but this is really only an option, if you enjoy the experimenting as much as I do, and don't want it to "just work"

When your friend talks about using Cat5, I assume he means wiring your whole house with "structured wiring".
    This means that you have a wire or many from each location to a central point.
    At this point you would have a patch cabinet that allows you to connect any point to any other point.

You can then use these wires for network or telephone communication.
    Using various adaptors, you can also send audio and/or video.

If you want to watch the same source in each room, you could just distribute one signal around the house.
    If you want different sources in each room, you would need some kind of matrix switcher.
    Also you need the ability to control all the gear from each room.

I know this probably doesn't give you the answers you are looking for, but the next step is to think about what you really want and then do some serious reading in these forums.

Cheers and good luck,
    Bruce.

3. roadrunner7

roadrunner7

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Bruce
    Sorry for the delay in replying but have been busy out at work and not getting in till late hardly spending much time at home.
    Will do some serious reading as i want to make this a little project.
    I like yourslf like tinkering around like yourself.
    Any pointers on good reading material, something fairly plain and simple to understand not to much jargon at this time
    Thanks

Roadrunner7

4. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,353
    roadrunner7,

Welcome to the forums :hiya: You won't find a better source of AV advice in the UK IMHO. However, as BruceH mentions, it would help if you could narrow your question somewhat - this would also mean you could post in the various sub-forums that tend to get a much higher turnover of experts than this general one.

As you can imagine there are many ways of doing this - implementations can vary from costing a few pounds to many thousands.

For DVD playback you might want to just consider getting a DVD player for each room - if you thinking a small bedroom TV you only need a dirt cheap DVD player - and it would be better than going to another room to insert a DVD. Checkout the DVD players forum for advice.

For Satellite and multi-room TV you may want to consider the Satellite forum - you could run a cable or buy a second Sky box and use the multiroom.

Ultimately then I would recommend going to each sub-forum and getting specific advice and take it from there.