New kid on the block (DVD recorder)

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by malcom, Apr 19, 2002.

1. malcom

malcom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I see from the PRC web site that there is a new kid on the block in the form of a JVC DVD-RAM/R recorder. Model number HMVDR10
    Anyone have any more info on this JVC model! Will it be a clone of the E20/30 I wonder? Malcom.

2. encaser

encaser

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +112
    HCC news just said this,

"JVC is set to launch its first DVD recorder in May. The HM-VDR10EK will set you back around £1,000, and has both DVD-RAM and DVD-R recording options. It also features simultaneous record and playback, playback of both DVD-Audio discs and MP3 files, a DV in/out i.Link terminal, and both block noise reduction and a frame synchroniser for removing jitter from recording sources"

Sounds good if you're willing to brave the format wars. DVD-Audio and MP3 + firewire are V.nice features.
    Also if got a pc and don't want to lug into living room can get exteranl HDD with firewire port.

3. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,268
    Surely if DVD-R and DVD+RW work in most DVD players it isn't a question of braving the format wars when buying a DVD recorder - not in the same way as buying a Betamax was anyway.

Whatever DVD format eventually takes off means that the write once disks will play in all players. As for the rewrite disks well DVD+RW play in some DVD players and DVD-RAM/DVD-RW presummably will as it they are included in the 'DVD Multi' branding.

4. PhilipL

PhilipL

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +421
    Hi

Just to point out that a Firewire Hard Drive will not work with a Firewire connection on a DVD Recorder. While they use the same plug and cable they can not talk to each other.

Think of it a bit like trying to connect a USB keyboard to a USB Harddrive, yes they physically connect but can do nothing useful together.

Regards

Philip

5. encaser

encaser

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +112
    The firewire maybe with software updates possible to send data from the JVC as encoder to hdd bit like tivo principle, we'll see.
    When I said brave format the concern is that NOT all rewrite or as yet dvd-r discs will be readable by ANY dvd player, further the dvd-ram discs which are caddy fixed CANNOT be used in a 'normal' dvd player due to physical restrications as well as possible software conflicts.
    Rasczak what's the point of trying to dismiss a post which is a warning to the non-universality when you're own contains cannots, as yets and maybes? Isn't that a warning in it's self?!

6. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,268
    I was not trying to 'dismiss' your post - I was merely pointing out that whatever DVD format you go for it won't end up being a 'dud' as it will still play standard DVD disks and will still be able to record DVD disks viewable on most other DVD players.

DVD-RAM disks can be removed from their caddy and, in future, played in any DVD Multi player.

7. encaser

encaser

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +112
    Fair enough, matie! It's just all the future bit that is annoying me, when buying one now means hassle/disappointment. The possible long-term issue is that some manu's may well not allow for multi-read to push people toward their product capable discs, something we're seeing already, and have seen in the past. So the dud issue may live on at least as far as rewrite discs are concerned. Dvd-r discs are a selling point for all so unsurprisingly this is the best looking 'multi-capable' option.