Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

New kid: Denon 3910 - HDMI Question

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by devs, Mar 3, 2005.

1. devs

devs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Hi people I've just bought a Denon 3910 my intention is to hook it up via HDMI to a Sony HS20 projector, that I'm hoping to get in a week or so... I'm pretty new to this kind of technology and have been reading things about microblocking and copyright protection when using HDMI as a connection. Does this mean than I will be unable to play my backed up DVD media this way?

Thanks,

Devs. ;)

2. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Macroblocking has nothing to do with HDMI, it's due to a fault in the deinterlacer used in most current Denons and a wide variety of other brands.

As for copy protection, HDMI implements HDCP which is enabled by a source, eg. a DVD player, when it's playing copy-protected media .. though some manufacturers are lazy and always enable it regardless of CSS being present.

However, media that isn't protected is played normally whether or not the player wrongly enables HDCP, which means your 'backups' will play perfectly okay as long as the player can actually recognise the media.

3. devs

devs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    That's great - many thanks for the clarification KraGorn. That just want I wanted to hear.

Cheers,

dEVS! ;)