1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New KEF speaker volume enhancement

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Building DIY' started by fomoria, Mar 26, 2004.

1. fomoria

fomoria
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    wondered if anyone had seen this article on volume enhancement and thought about trying a diy version.

http://www.homecinemachoice.com/new...emachoice.com/cgi-bin/displaynews.php?id=5908

From my chemistry background I have had a look around and there appear to be a few alternatives, activated carbon does indeed have the largest surface area of most adsorbants, but this is not used to best effect at atmospheric pressures. Zeolites and silica offer greater surface area and faster adsorbtion rates around atmospheric pressure than charcoal - a fact not mentioned in the associated patent after a very quick look on a friday afternoon at work.

I may give this a go when I can get some adsorbants from work (weeks holiday at the moment), but a 3x increase in effective volume seems well worth the effort, especially for sub projects.

Any ideas on how to approach this would be welcomed?? I may have to invest in a spl meter and experiment .

Kev.

2. GaryG

GaryG
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I look forward to hearing how you get on. Polyfill is a popular 'filler' for subs to give an apparent increase in volume, however there is a point at which it becomes counterproductive, presumeably the same applies for activated carbon or silica.

http://www.win.net/audtatious/audio/fiber.html

3. Exeter Man

Exeter Man

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    fomoria,

Heard a demo of the speakers in question at the Bristol Show, but the Kef guy wanted to show everyone how they could deal with delicate effects, so I can't really comment on bass output.

He showed us the adsorption medium, and IIRC, it was in goretex type bags, which are simply packed into the cabinet.

If this really works, and is easily/cheaply DIYable, it will make some fantastic sub and speaker designs possible.

Regards