1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New Kameleon - Trashy. What are the alternatives?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Control & Remote Controls' started by Autopilot, Feb 26, 2005.

1. Autopilot

Autopilot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,266
    I bought one of the 2nd gen Kameleon 6 in 1's off eBay a couple of days ago. I can't believe how nasty and tacky this thing is. It creeks, rattles and is made of very low quality 'chrome look' plastic that just gets really grubby really quickly. The 'hard' buttons feel so cheap and are not nice to use and have started collecting dust after 2 days! I really don't understand why at that price its so naff trashy. A real shame because it's very easy to set up and works well. However, the other really annoying thing is that the whole point of the the 'Kameleon' is that only the button you need light up, but this does not happen - my Cambridge Audio 640 amp is not a surround amp! All i want when AMP is sellected is input, power and volume. I would really love to be about to disable the buttons that have no use.

:rolleyes:

Right, rant over. So about that but when i spend a fair amount of money and am so disapointed i have to have a moan :D

So, what are the alternatives to One For All remotes? This christmas cracker jobs going back on eBay :hiya:

2. mac_monkey

mac_monkey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    I actually registered with the AV forms to post exactly the same thing. I bought a series 2 6in1 today and I am really disappointed. What was going on in the marketing room when the designed this thing? I can see it now...

Q."What do the kids want?"
    A."Bling is big with kids"

This remote is nasty :mad:

I was also under the impression that you could hide any buttons that were unused, but unfortunately this isn't the case.

I buy an all in 1 remote because I Don't want to compromise. I, like you dangerous_dom, need a totally customisable remote. Every button programmed, macros, rename any button etc. It will obviously have to be hooked up to a pc. From what I know I *think* it will have to be a Pronto.

Hopefully someone with a little more knowledge will contribute to this thread

:lease:

Either way my nasty lump of chrome is going back to Argos tomorrow.

3. Ikki

Ikki

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +97
    A lot depends on whether you can live with a touch screen for the buttons, or prefer hard buttons. All are highly programmable.

Hard buttons - Harmony H655 (£99) or H688 (£119), H880 (colour display, not yet on sale)

Touch screen - Marantz RC1400 (£80), RC3200 (related to the Pronto neo)(£140), Philips SBCRU930 Pronto Neo (£140), Philips SBCRU950/00 4MB Pronto (£240)

If it's any help Mac_Monkey, I run a Humax PVR8000T and a Yamaha receiver from the H655 and I don't have any redundant buttons claiming to do things that they don't.

4. Autopilot

Autopilot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,266
    Every device I have set up my Kameleon for has redundant buttons. Record button for my DVD player? I know it's the right code because there is only one working code for my DVD player, which is a highly popular Panasonic which has been out for nearly 2 years. Words can't describe how incredibly poor the build quality is and I have just started noticing that buzzing sound too.

I shall have a look at those other models. Thanks for the sugestions. Anyone got any links?

5. Ikki

Ikki

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +97
  6. visualundergrou

visualundergrou

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well took my Kameleon back to argos today, money back no problems.

I then went to John Lewis & Dixons to see what they had and wasnt very impressed, so I had a walk up to Richer Sounds & ended up coming back with a Cambridge Audio M1+.

At £50 this remote is fantastic. Let me explain how it works.

• There are no "codes" to programme
    • The buttons are fixed with a number of display options to cycle through on each one. Or you can choose to remove the button completely.
    • No PC link
    • The remote learns (piggyback I think the term is) all functions

This means you design your key layout for each device. Then press the learn button and the Cambridge Audio cycles through all of the buttons in your current design asking you to press the button on your original remote. Thats it, done. It took me about an hour to get it all sorted and now I'm really happy.

It also has macros, which I havent set up yet but I'm sure they work just as well.

This remote is perfect for my needs for example on the TV "tab" the volume controls my amps volume, the channel(0-9) control my digibox and the menu and power control my LCD TV :clap: .

7. Autopilot

Autopilot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,266
    Just had a look on CA's website. Looks good, whats the build quality like and can you disable (hide) any buttons that are not used? Also, does it have enough buttons to have options such as 'position memory' extra that my DVD player has?

Thanks.

8. GreenBars

GreenBars

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    I get the feeling that people posting on this thread are missing the point of the Kameleon remotes. I would not deny that the second generation remotes are not as well made as the first generation ones – aluminium has got to better than the easily stained chrome-effect plastic! - and the rattle that people complain about is due to the tacky ‘hard’ buttons. The buzz can be annoying; however it is only there as long as you are using the remote and when you are using it there is usually some sound in the room, e.g. the TV!

To ‘dangerous dom’ and ‘mac monkey’, my recommendation to both of you ( and I don’t want to appear patronising) would be to do more research before making such a purchase – you obviously have access to the internet so you could have downloaded the instruction manual from the OneForAll website. If you had read this before making your, not inexpensive, purchases, you would have recognised what you have perceived as shortcomings in the design of the Kameleon interface, i.e. it will show more buttons than may be available for your device. This is of course inevitable due to the fact that Sony, for example, use one set of IR codes for more than one TV, even though all the commands may not be available for each TV. The Kameleon remotes will show a set of buttons that will cover as many functions as possible hence a record button is shown on the DVD view. The real benefit Kameleon remotes have over hard button remotes is that you don’t have to have something with row upon row of buttons as the buttons are able to show different labels depending on the device selected, e.g. the button labelled ‘Timer’ in the VCR view shows ‘Info’ or ‘Back’ in the Satellite/Cable view. Extrapolate this further and you can see that this allows the total number of buttons to be reduced down to a minimum.

It isn’t perfect but for £55 it is pretty versatile, easy to program and does what it is supposed to – great customer service too.

Hopefully the third version will look like this:

http://www.remotecentral.com/cedia04/photo06.htm

9. Autopilot

Autopilot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,266
    Your quite right mate, I should have. I am usually very savy when it comes to buying technology and usually spend weeks making my mind up. I did rush into this, but maybe at that price I just thought, yeah, that will be ok. A bit foolish, i agree. I still think at RRP of £79.99 it should have been built more solid and with better materials. My main beef is the build quality, the interface just tipped it for me really. I would have put up with it if it was perfect (all i would need to do is be able to hide some keys - they could have added that feature with ease), but then as you say its as good as Sony etc will allow. I just don't have the cash for a Pronto really (although I am tempted by one for £99 on eBay).

To be fair, nothing in the instruction manual says that the build quality is so poor or mentions any of it faults. But then that would be extremly unlikely and rather stupid of One For All. Also, the instructions say that only the relevant buttons appear, hence the name 'Kameleon' - it does not mention that some reduntant ones that you can't remove appear. If it does, then my mistake.

But good points mate, I admit i have been a little naive. I am new to universal remotes, but you live and learn. All I can say is that god for eBay!

Back to the M1; What size is it compared to the Kameleon?

10. GreenBars

GreenBars

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
  11. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    while the CA units are good for the money the Harmony H655 is sooooooo much better at £99 it is nearly twice the price!!!! but it is incredibly good as long as you have internet access (which you must do to read this!)

12. mac_monkey

mac_monkey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    The reason I didnt do any research is because I wanted a remote then. This is also the reason I bought it from argos. I had intended to take it back even if I did like it & buy a cheaper one of the net. One of the big taglines for the 6-1 is "Hides the buttons you dont need" thats why I went for it.

I had a look at the Harmony in dixons, I dont know the model number but it wasnt for me. Didnt like the look of it, just personal prefrence + I'm a massive Logitech fanboy aswell and even that didnt swing me.

It's the hard buttons that put me off. I KNOW that some are going to be redundant.

I am now very pleased with my M1+. Yes you can delete any button from the screen apart from the source buttons and the power button. For example I dont have a CD player or a MD so if you press the source button on the remote, these sections are completely blank. I also dont have a VCR, but I have programmed it to control the PVR function of my Humax. This is why the CA is so flexible. The fact it doesnt use codes or presets of any kind means you can programme it how you want.

I must also say that the build quality is fantastic. It feels worth a lot more than £50.