Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

New JVC SR-DVM70 over Panny HS2?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by lilactime2000, Mar 8, 2005.

1. lilactime2000

lilactime2000

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi All (new poster)

I have had a panny DMR-HS2 for just under two years and thought I would upgrade. I have just bought a brand new JVC SR-DVM70EU, which is an interesting piece of kit. If anybody is thinking of getting one they have some nice advantages but also some major disadvantages for what should be a third generation DVD-R.

To keep it short it is a Mini-DV / HDD 160GB / DVD-R machine. For which it's major selling point is the built in top quality Mini-DV player. XP is more than tripled to 30 hours over the panny's 8'54". Connectivity is virtually everything you can think of.

However

Once recorded onto the HDD you cannot partial erase a title, only split it and then create a play list from the resultant bits, which is a logistical nightmare if you edit out 20 bits of Fuzz from a camcorder tape filmed over a typical 3 month period then you will be left with 21 short films instead of 1 long one...nightmare.

Then there is no automatic chaptering, YES there is manual chaptering which is an advantage over my old panny, so I can pick scenes and create chapters to my suiting, but it would have been better if there was the option to just bang in 5 minute chapters of the machines choosing.

Build quality is OK, but it still feels plasticky compared with the HS2, but I do prefer battleship quality, hence my two Bang & Olufsen V2000 machines weighing in at 20KG each.

If anybody is interested in the JVC and wants any more feedback let me know or I can post as new things arise. It is just a shame that there are as many negatives as positives for a £1300 machine which could be so much more use friendly. Oh and JVC didn't bother to answer my email queries either, so 5-3 to panasonic as we enter the second half.

Cheers
    Chris. :nono:

2. JH4

JH4

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +264
  3. MarkhamPete

MarkhamPete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    On a Toshiba, they explain in the manual that this is to prevent fragmentation of the hard drive. However, it is still puzzling to me that Pioneer allows this on the 520 without warning of fragmentation. If it's like the Toshiba, those 21 short clips should be able to be copied back to the hard drive as 1 new title.

4. JH4

JH4

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +264
    lilactime2000: Can you not edit the playlist as per Pioneer decks ? You should be able to do cuts, deletes, combines, moves, chapter titles etc on the playlist, leaving the original HDD footage intact. Hope this helps.

5. ROne

ROne

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    lilactime2000, I am very interested in this product (for professional use) - we are slightly hesitant due to the fact that every piece of pro kit from Jvc we have had in the past (about 10 items) has had some problem or quirk.

The things you mentioned don't hugely concern me - but if I could ask a couple of questions.

1) Do you know if it outputs the mini DV on the analogue component?

2) Does the miniDV appear to have a decent transport (is it slow at rewinding and switching between play/forward/controls)

3) Have you made any long form recordings and noticed any glitches on any of the recording formats? (Especially the HHD)

4) Where did you get it from?

Many thanks. tyrone.

6. phelings

phelings
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    JVC recorders lack RGB input too