1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New JVC - same problems?

Discussion in 'TVs' started by barnabybear, Mar 30, 2002.

1. barnabybear

barnabybear

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi
    Just had a look at the new JVC model, the AV28R25EKS, does anyone know if this has the same "famous" JVC problem of those strange lines in the edges of the screen? Or perhaps they have sorted it out.
    I couldn't see any probs in the shop - but I was a bit rushed - and alright - I forgot:rolleyes:

Thanks in advance

2. barnabybear

barnabybear

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I decided there is no better thing if your considering buying something - to go back and have another look. This time I took my dvd player and persuaded Curry's to let me hook it up (Their dvd's most likely won't play R1)

Unfortunately the answer to my question is - yes, the same problem is still there. As noted by others, it's not so bad on NTSC, but a PAL anamorphic RGB picture is pretty grim with the patterning all too obvious.

Well - I posted this just in case it's helpful to someone here.

3. Nyquil Driver

Nyquil Driver
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the info BB- I just wish the problem had been articulated on this site BEFORE I bought my JVC S2 (which I'm sending back this Wednesday BTW!). JVC must know about the problem because it's been evident on all their recent ranges (FT1, 100EKS, S2, R2). People keep buying them (and hardly anyone complains), so it's no wonder they spend all their resources on re-designing the chassis' instead.

I sit quite close to the screen myself, so the patterns on PAL material look quite horrible. I tend to use PAL 50 for R1 discs aswell (to eliminate scan-lines) so in my case every type of DVD playback is obscured by lines. When I e-mailed JVC about it they played dumb to begin with. When I e-mailed them again with links to comments/reviews detailing the fault, they stopped talking to me.

I do find it annoying that JVC sets received nothing but praise before I bought one. Then as soon as I'd noticed the problem there were loads of other people saying "yes, I've seen those lines aswell...."(!). The reviews even mention them in a veiled and overly tactful way (giving the impression that there's nothing to worry about) so you shouldn't expect JVC to remedy the 'quirk' anytime soon (don't expect them to care either!).

I'm not bitter though.... (Grrr!!).

4. shez316

shez316

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Nyquil

I am sorry to hear about your ongoing problems with your JVC set. I own the WFT1 and have had no such problems. I use RGB for my digibox and S-Video for my DVDs. I have a Panasonic Scht 70 home cinema system. It only has an S-Video output thus I can't try RGB. I have a suggestion for you to try. Hook up your DVD via the S-Video route and see if you still notice the problems. Good luck!
    The new JVC is looking good! Try the following link:

http://www.whatvideotv.com/news/fra...atvideotv.com/cgi-bin/displaynews.php?id=1673[/url]

5. Nyquil Driver

Nyquil Driver
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    shez- My S2 was collected by delivery guys this morning, so hopefully it's all academic now. If it does come back (NO!!!) then obviously I'll have to look at ways of reducing the intrusiveness of the lines....

I did try an S-video connection actually, but although the pattern was slightly less obvious, I just couldn't live without RGB's better clarity!. It's been suggested in other threads (quite plausibly) that "the higher the resolution, the worse the problem" and this argument is backed-up by the fact that anamorphic discs look worst of all.

Basically, the lines form part of the TV's projected image and it's just that certain types of material make them stand-out more than they should (my close proximity doesn't help!). I don't want to come across as a rabid JVC hater or anything because (line-pattern aside) I can see why people like them. By the same token though, I couldn't really recommend one unless you were able to hand-pick one yourself (enabling you to check for the afore-mentioned anomaly).

I'll post more about the S2/Hi-Spek situation as soon as they get back to me (concluding the "Visiting engineer" thread)....

6. Alan Philp

Alan Philp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I’m not sure if I had the same problem as you guys, but I noticed some cable channels produced a ragged flickering edge on the right of the screen on my 28WFT1. I sorted the horizontal centre in the service options [it was quite a bit off to the left] and it completely fixed the problem.

Check this thread: http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=33766

7. shez316

shez316

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Alan I think you're talking about a geometry problem. The other guyz are talking about lines and dots in the picture (at the sides).