New JVC laser line - rumours ?

alebonau

Distinguished Member
I see mention from reezepees on avsforum of a new laser line from jvc - see article below both source and Google translated …

No understanding of validity of source so read and make of it as feel. Says sept ? and starting at 10,000 euro base model and no confirmation re hdmi 2.1

“According to my current information, the light output is quantified as follows:
  • 2,000 lumens for the 4K laser entry-level model
  • 2,500 lumens for the medium 4K laser model
  • 3,000 lumens for the top laser model”

“Prices and availability

The names are 25,000 euros for the top model, 15,000 euros for the medium and 10,000 euros for the entry-level 4K / laser model.
~“

But yeah at 10k euros I suspect many/most apart from the well heeled :D will be sitting pretty :D

IF article is true and let’s face it … it’s very much in hearsay/rumour category … still if true those sitting on hands can continue to do so in good knowledge jvc continues to develop not sit on its laurels. …

Last edited:

kenshingintoki

Distinguished Member
sounds like rubbish lol but if it’s true, then PJ world is getting exciting

kenshingintoki

Distinguished Member
I see mention from reezepees on avsforum of a new laser line from jvc - see article below both source and Google translated …

No understanding of validity of source so read and make of it as feel. Says sept ? and starting at 10,000 euro base model and no confirmation re hdmi 2.1

“According to my current information, the light output is quantified as follows:
  • 2,000 lumens for the 4K laser entry-level model
  • 2,500 lumens for the medium 4K laser model
  • 3,000 lumens for the top laser model”

“Prices and availability

The names are 25,000 euros for the top model, 15,000 euros for the medium and 10,000 euros for the entry-level 4K / laser model.
~“

But yeah at 10k euros I suspect many/most apart from the well heeled :D will be sitting pretty :D

IF article is true and let’s face it … it’s very much in hearsay/rumour category … still if true those sitting on hands can continue to do so in good knowledge jvc continues to develop not sit on its laurels. …

I wonder if JVC will now offer a lamp AND laser lineup moving forwards for next gen?

2500 lumen model is what would interest me and that price is too high. 2000 lumen I could somewhat stomach... not easily... but could stomach.. lol.

I wonder if they will continue to sell bulb based range or apply a price reduction.

If new range looks like this:

N5 £4k
N7 £6k
N9: £8k
N5 lazer: £10k
N7 lazer: £15k
N9 lazer: £25k

That would be insane.

Surely Epson are then VERY VERY worried because that £4k N5 will eat up into their market share A LOT. I doubt N9 will ever be £8k so they will probably just discontinue it. The N5 laser might be a bit of a redundant model which is difficult to sell tho.

who will pay £10k for N5 laser over N5 bulb when you dont even get a big lumen upgrade??

Anyway I am just excited we have some rumours... gives hope we will evolution in the technology within the next 12 months. its been a very boring 36 months.

clausdk

Quite exciting.

Was hoping for an actual z1 replacement with 5k lumens and not "just" a n9 laser. Although upgrading from my 2200 lumen n9 to the speculated n9 laser would be cool I had hoped for more.

Looking forward to more info!

mb3195

Distinguished Member
I wonder if JVC will now offer a lamp AND laser lineup moving forwards for next gen?

2500 lumen model is what would interest me and that price is too high. 2000 lumen I could somewhat stomach... not easily... but could stomach.. lol.

I wonder if they will continue to sell bulb based range or apply a price reduction.

N5 £4k
N7 £6k

That would be insane.

Surely Epson are then VERY VERY worried because that £4k N5 will eat up into their market share A LOT. I doubt N9 will ever be £8k so they will probably just discontinue it. The N5 laser might be a bit of a redundant model which is difficult to sell tho.

who will pay £10k for N5 laser over N5 bulb when you dont even get a big lumen upgrade??

Anyway I am just excited we have some rumours... gives hope we will evolution in the technology within the next 12 months. its been a very boring 36 months.
No chance at these prices mate

Furnace Inferno

Beyond no chance, they can’t even stock the current N7 at £8.5k so there is zero reason the lower the price especially if the lowest laser was £10k. I doubt there is any truth in this though but only 2 months to find out I guess.

kenshingintoki

Distinguished Member
Beyond no chance, they can’t even stock the current N7 at £8.5k so there is zero reason the lower the price especially if the lowest laser was £10k. I doubt there is any truth in this though but only 2 months to find out I guess.
No chance at these prices mate

Yeah the lumen outputs sound insane too.

I’d be happy with w price drop, lumen bump ant the n9 being replaced with a laser model which I think is fairly reasonable

Furnace Inferno

Best case scenario is a £25k laser model above the NX9 which will be a replacement for the Z1, £10k price drop better contrast and the same 3000 lumens and still unobtainable for most of us!

I don’t think a laser is coming from JVC at an “affordable” price any time soon. When the N7 level gets replaced allowing for Brexit/Covid and inflation I think we’ll be looking at £10k pricing in the same way the N7 was quiet a step up on previous 7 series price wise.

Happy to be proven wrong though!

panman40

Distinguished Member
What with the N series constantly on back order due to covid short supplies and brexit I seriously can’t see a new line up of jvcs anytime soon, unless of course it’s simply a matter of manufacture swapping out the lamp assembly for laser units but highly unlikely!.

kenshingintoki

Distinguished Member
What with the N series constantly on back order due to covid short supplies and brexit I seriously can’t see a new line up of jvcs anytime soon, unless of course it’s simply a matter of manufacture swapping out the lamp assembly for laser units but highly unlikely!.

Unless they are doing a revision which is easier to produce with slightly different parts which are more easily available.

I’ve seen a few tech companies like Nintendo do this with their new OlED switch.

small upgrade but they’ve changed some internals which are in shortage due to covid to make the product much easier to produce and shift

alebonau

Distinguished Member
Quite exciting.

Was hoping for an actual z1 replacement with 5k lumens

quoting Rwestley on AVS below with a bit more info from some german forum where the rumours originally surfaced....

it seems the 3000lumen one top of tree is really a Z1 update ? which makes sense given the lumen jump on N series and kind of cooling something of this ilk would need. so IF true its only the base and middle model that are N series based. the top model is Z1 replacement if what looking for... but still pegged at 300lm rather than 5k might be looking for :) this makes sense given the projected euro price got top model would translate to $40k where i am which is indeed what Z1 goes for now...

"There have been some interesting questions and comments on the German Forum where the rumor was first posted.

"The 3 new devices will be offshoots of this Devices become.
All devices below 2000lm are in the N-housing, even with a laser.
The 3000 lm is only available in the Z1 housing".

"Old phosphor technology, relatively few lumens and enormous price.
Unfortunately, due to the lack of competition, that's enough.
I was hoping for bigger jumps, but wait for the official announcement."

"That much will not change, 2500 lumens gross (color brightness?) And really usable after calibration then? 2000-2200 lumens, but only from 15K €
5.gif

Uninteresting for me, but perhaps the second-hand market will be a little "lively"
4.gif

But it is not a big surprise either, there was already speculation back then because of the size of the housing.""

.... anyways ... its all only still rumours :D

howieeb

It'd be nice if these rumours were true. I need around 2000 calibrated lumens for our desired screen size/material and want a bit of head room for bulbs and laser dimming over time

alebonau

Distinguished Member
It'd be nice if these rumours were true. I need around 2000 calibrated lumens for our desired screen size/material and want a bit of head room for bulbs and laser dimming over time
nigel (arrowav) on AVs has made some telling points

"First thing that strikes me is that I was kinda hoping for higher light output than this in particular for the top laser model:

2,000 lumens for the 4K laser entry-level model
2,500 lumens for the medium 4K laser model
3,000 lumens for the top laser model

Calibrated peformance is likely to drop to:

1,600 lumens for the 4K laser entry-level model
2,000 lumens for the medium 4K laser model
2,450 lumens for the top laser model

Hence at first glance this would appear to be no improvement in peak light output performance as compared with the JVC RS4500."

the key would seem to be what they can achieve with a better colour filter for 100% p3...wihtout hurting output so much ...especially when see just how much it hits the current 4500/Z1 !

"However, if JVC are able to make use of a better next generation color filter that achieves 100% of DCI-P3 but with less loss of light output as compared with the color filter in the RS4500 which reduces calibrated light output by a whopping 40%, then the peak calibrated light output with the color filter and achieving 100% of DCI-P3 color gamut will hopefully measure significantly higher light output as compared with the JVC RS4500.

Specifically, here are my measurements for the JVC RS4500:

JVC%20Z1%20-%20LIGHT%20OUTPUT-X2.jpg

Peak light output with the color filter measures only circa 1460 lumens calibrated, versus circa 2450 lumens without the color filter."

RGB laser or dual laser at least is another solution... but we are not seeming to hear anything on that ..perhaps because of cost... cheaper to pop a filter in :D

kenshingintoki

Distinguished Member
You got to love it, guessing calibrated light output from rumoured not yet released figures. :rotfl:
I was thinking the same but didn’t want to sound too negative 🤣🤣🤣

DaViD Boulet

Standard Member
quoting Rwestley on AVS below with a bit more info from some german forum where the rumours originally surfaced....

it seems the 3000lumen one top of tree is really a Z1 update ? which makes sense given the lumen jump on N series and kind of cooling something of this ilk would need. so IF true its only the base and middle model that are N series based. the top model is Z1 replacement if what looking for... but still pegged at 300lm rather than 5k might be looking for :) this makes sense given the projected euro price got top model would translate to $40k where i am which is indeed what Z1 goes for now...

"There have been some interesting questions and comments on the German Forum where the rumor was first posted.

"The 3 new devices will be offshoots of this Devices become.
All devices below 2000lm are in the N-housing, even with a laser.
The 3000 lm is only available in the Z1 housing".

"Old phosphor technology, relatively few lumens and enormous price.
Unfortunately, due to the lack of competition, that's enough.
I was hoping for bigger jumps, but wait for the official announcement."

"That much will not change, 2500 lumens gross (color brightness?) And really usable after calibration then? 2000-2200 lumens, but only from 15K €
5.gif

Uninteresting for me, but perhaps the second-hand market will be a little "lively"
4.gif

But it is not a big surprise either, there was already speculation back then because of the size of the housing.""

.... anyways ... its all only still rumours :D

Interesting.

So, if #3 used the Z1 housing, then does #1 = N7 and #2 = N9?

If so, then these (uncalibrated) lumens gains would be much less impressive (albeit still an increase):

DB9S

N5 £4k
N7 £6k
My guess (if this comes to pass and all models remain on sale) then it will look something like:

N5 £6k
N7 £8k
N5 laser £10k
N7 laser £12k
N9 £18k
N9 laser £25k

They would have zero reason to make the N9 less than anything except the N9 laser, just due to the lens.

Last edited:

howieeb

nigel (arrowav) on AVs has made some telling points
Cheers. I've followed a few of arrow's threads - he knows his stuff. All speculation atm ofc.

Re. laser pjs - is there a rough light loss rate? For the money these will likely end up at i'd want a good 5-10 years use at around 10hrs a week.

alebonau

Distinguished Member
Interesting.

So, if #3 used the Z1 housing, then does #1 = N7 and #2 = N9?

~

Yes that seems to be like of thought, and would be consistent in lumens vs cooling efficacy the respective chassis seem to support now so not way out there in thinking :) the z1 needs updating too … long overdue :) you’d just think they’d be able to squeeze a dual laser in that massive chassis though for full p3 rather than massive loss with filter they are getting now

~If so, then these (uncalibrated) lumens gains would be much less impressive (albeit still an increase):

For those chasing laser and lumens lot more affordably … there is the jvc laser lx-nz3 ?

Will give people laser, more affordably even has DTM(missing frame by frame of the N series) … but it is a single chip DLP(not native 4K) so can be more compact. But there are some folk allergic to their RBE and also inherently quite lower contrast … so not sure just how popular a thing they are and whether jvc actually sells any ? For some folk definitely something to consider around price of Epson 9400 :)

Last edited:

alebonau

Distinguished Member
Cheers. I've followed a few of arrow's threads - he knows his stuff. All speculation atm ofc.
Indeed, only all respect for nigel(arrow) and certainly appreciate his perspective given amount of testing and measuring has done on current laser units. Gives some grounding to whats possible in the current realm...if JVC are just using that as basis for new units.

Re. laser pjs - is there a rough light loss rate? For the money these will likely end up at i'd want a good 5-10 years use at around 10hrs a week.
i have not heard of much output drop off to speak off. but there is certainly things like gamma drift and such. its not correct what folks peddle that they dont need recalibration as likes of Kris deering and Chad B as pro calibrators have on more than one occasion debunked this thinking ...

Luminated67

Distinguished Member
I think the light output has more bearing on those intending to use screens greater than 130-140”.

Or am I missing something? 🤔

As I said on the other thread the cost difference can be justified IF you intend to use your projector like a TV and lots of hours per day which would negate the cost of bulbs and pro calibrations but for those that don’t use it like this then you still have the bulb version.

Win, win on both fronts.

Will be interesting to see how the native contrast compares. 🤔

alebonau

Distinguished Member
I think the light output has more bearing on those intending to use screens greater than 130-140”.
I know folk using 130-140" scope screens calibrated and doing a wonderfull job with JVC lamp projectors...and thats on LOW lamp :D so yes thats not an issue.

Or am I missing something? 🤔
its more a case for some folk size isnt enough and want biggest screen can fit in :D even going beyond 120" 16:9 and you are pushing it for some folk :)

As I said on the other thread the cost difference can be justified IF you intend to use your projector like a TV and lots of hours per day which would negate the cost of bulbs and pro calibrations but for those that don’t use it like this then you still have the bulb version.
just depends how much you watch doesnt it ? do people watch more than say 4 hours a day ? 7 days a week x 365 days a year ? thats going to take a lamp through about 3 years and change out ? so even with 4 hours a day thats looking at lamp and a half at that sort of usage ? hardly justifies the kind of dollars we are talking here ?as to pro calibrations.... its a furphy spread by some as i said the laser projectors dont drift and have gamma droop. but i doubt very much any one would look at a calibration with even use like that every couple of years or so... suspect what folks will do as i know pro calibrators suggest ie a touch up mid life of lamp and full calibration with a new lamp. still doesnt justify ?

maybe if you were going through a lamp a year or something ? but that woudl be what 10-12 hours a day every day...7 days a week 365 days a year ? who watches that sort of amount ? seems a bit extreme ? if its just trash TV its probably more worth just watching that on a TV ?

there are other reasons for laser i think. but cant be justifying on bulb cost i dont think...

clausdk

Ok so if rumours are true upgrading from my n9 to new n9 laser in z1 chassis is around 800-1000 more lumens and a laser light engine. Maybe other features. I suppose 50% more light while keeping the same CR is decent.

alebonau

Distinguished Member
Ok so if rumours are true upgrading from my n9 to new n9 laser in z1 chassis is around 800-1000 more lumens and a laser light engine. Maybe other features. I suppose 50% more light while keeping the same CR is decent.
as far as i can see the rumour the middle model is likely the n9 in n9 chassis still ? modest bump in lumens 2200 in lamp to 2500 in laser. the lamp in the n9 calibrates at 1829 lumens according to Dylan S at HT review ht and only drops an amazing 5% output if use the filter.
we have no idea really how the laser version will compare.

if you are talking the Z1 chasis model then really talking current Z1 update ? which is the same current output 3000 lumens and seems to quite well match with the suggested new laser model :)

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

AVForums Movies Podcast: Streaming Theatrical Releases And The Future Of Cinema
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

Magico announces Titan 15 subwoofer
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Ajax Systems adds UK Socket to expand smart home options
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Best TVs of 2021 - Editor's Choice Awards