1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New JPEG2000 Format !

Discussion in 'Photography Forums' started by KO.NET, Jul 13, 2003.

1. KO.NET

KO.NET

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've been reading and hearing about JPEG2000 for over 2 years now, but still its nowhere to be found ! For those of you have have never heard of JPEG2000, well im sure you've heard the of the picture format JPEG, well basically JPEG2000 is a much improved version of this. It uses an newly developed compression system called "Wavelet Transform" (interesting stuff) which can produce pictures with far greater detail and at far smaller file sizes than that of the original JPEG format. JPEG2000 is a great new format i think and cant wait to use it, but where the hell is it???? As i said i've been reading about it for over 2 years and it still not around ! Microsoft dont support it in Explorer, digital cameras dont support it and neither do a lot of software packages ! why??? Does anybody know anything about this situation and when JPEG2000 will actually be available for the "mass market" ???

By the way here are some links about JPEG2000 if you're interested :

http://www.jpeg2000info.com/

http://www.jpeg.org/JPEG2000.html

2. jtgraphics

jtgraphics

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    JPEG2000 is an option now with the Adobe Photoshop Raw plug-in.
    JPEG2000 will become more widely used in a few years but for now most all programs don't support it.
    Some real file size samples here for you.
    An original Photoshop .psd file of 56.1 mb
    Saved as a .jpf which is extended JPEG2000 format and .jp2 the standard JPEG2000 format has a file size of 15.8 mb
    Saved as a .jpg with quality at high 10 is 11.7 mb and saved at a quality of 8 is 3.61 mb
    Saved as a .tif file 63.6 mb