1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New ITV Drama Series: POW & Henry VIII

Discussion in 'TV Show Forum' started by Rasczak, Oct 3, 2003.

1. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,267
    Just seen a trailer on ITV for two upcoming drama series: POW and Henry VIII. The former is a WWII drama that starts on Friday, I assume about a POW. Anyone know anything about it? Is it likely to be any good?

The trailer for Henry VIII looked 'OK' as well - although I'm sure it will be nowhere near as good as the BBCs 70s "Henry VIII and his Sixth Wives".

2. Miyazaki

Miyazaki

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +849
    Can't be any worse than "Boudica" now can they?

:D :(

3. sdh500

sdh500

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Been looking forward to Henry VIII for a while now. It has an impressive cast and crew so I'm expecting a half decent show there. Don't know anything about POW, but keeping a lookout for Robert Carlyle in Hitler: The Rise Of Evil on Channel 4 soon. There was a very powerful trailer for it recently.

Still haven't seen the much-lauded early 70s version of Henry VIII, but did get to see Elizabeth R with Glenda Jackson which was made about the same time and that was superb.

4. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,267
    Any idea when it's going to be shown? The trailer I saw just said "Coming Soon".

Typical! Just seen it - it started 10minutes ago! :mad: Oh well - won't try to catch up (I hate missing the beginning) - I'll buy the DVD later this month.

The Henry VIII & His Six Wives was of the same callibre as Elizabeth R and, infact, used many of the sets (some of the actors are the same as well, e.g. Cranmer is played by the same Bernard Hepton in both series). It's available on Region 1 DVD and occasionally surfaces on UK Drama.

These two series were very historically accurate. They were both repeated on the BBC about 12 years ago - at the same time I was doing a History A-Level on Tudor England - and was amazed that they went into such details. Infact they probably helped me to secure a good pass in the subject - my revision was watching the series several times! :D

5. sdh500

sdh500

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Look's like I'm in the same boat. Had no idea it was on yesterday. No point watching it next week if I missed it yesterday. I was hoping for a repeat midweek but I've scanned the schedules - no joy, I'm afraid.

Great, just ordered both DVD boxsets. All this Henry talk reminds me of a period piece I saw on BBC2 earlier this year called The Other Boleyn Girl which focused solely on Henry's relationships with the Boleyn sisters. Very intense, Jodhi May was amazing. If I'd had my E50 then I would still have it now. :(

BTW, Henry VIII is on October 12 and 19

6. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,267
    :smashin:

7. PoochJD

PoochJD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,862
    Hi,

"Boudica" was dire! The acting was mediocre, bar Alex Kingston, but the main problem was the dialogue! Truly awful stuff!

ITV haven't done any decent dramas since the early 1990's!

Pooch

8. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,267
    Harsh - but mostly true. I did enjoy the Hornblower series though and Sharpe was 'OK'.

9. Faust

Faust

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +55
    Trouble is, ITV simply cannot do drama, certainly not period drama anyway. They always have to mess with the scripts, and cannot remain true to the original. I think they take the view that the average ITV viewers intellect is such that the viewer will not be able to follow what's going on and become bored. They'd have to make Jane Austen into a soap complete with pub, something akin to he Rovers.

10. sdh500

sdh500

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Henry VIII back on tonight - both episodes - ITV2

11. CrispyXUK

CrispyXUK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    God no - not more ITV dramas

12. sdh500

sdh500

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Save your prayers, Crispy, it's only a repeat.