1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New iTunes released - podcast/mobile phone ready

Discussion in 'iPhone Forum' started by mick's cat, Jun 28, 2005.

Tags:
  1. mick's cat

mick's cat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    For anyone who uses iTunes - the latest version (v4.9) has just been released (unnanounced) by Apple:

http://www.apple.com/itunes/download/

Notably, it includes the ability to subscribe to and automatically download podcasts directly to iTunes (and from there, of course, if you have one, to an iPod). Seems to work a treat, and means that no third-party podcasting software is required.

Also notable, opening the language files included with the software, there are several new terms such as:

* Eject mobile phone
    * Phone Podcasts
    * iPod mobile
    * iPod Phone Prefs
    * iPod Phone iTunes Setup
    * Phone Updating contacts
    * The name of my mobile phone is:
    * The mobile phone cannot be ejected because it contains files that are in use by another application.
    * Set Up Your Mobile Phone
    * Automatically choose songs for my mobile phone
    * iTunes will automatically fill your mobile phone with a random selection of songs from your library. You may fill your mobile phone with a different selection of songs by pressing Autofill in the mobile phone playlist
    * No mobile phone connected
    * Open iTunes when this mobile phone is attached

This ties up with the rumours of new iTunes-enabled mobile phones to be launched in the next week or so.

2. HMHB

HMHB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,966
    Blimey, that looks very interesting. What are these podcast thingies I keep hearing about ? Are they free ?

3. extremelydodgy

extremelydodgy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    It's been in the pipeline for a while. The Podcast functionality has been discussed for quite a long time among the Podcasting community. It's good to see Apple at the forefront of this sort of stuff yet again.

Podcasting is basically delayed radio, and allows anyone to broadcast to the masses from their PC's. The only issue now holding back widespread Podcast distribution is the cost of bandwidth. I know that there's already work on Podcast clients for Bittorrent to take care of that. Not sure what Apple will do on that side, but a P2P network takes a lot of the bandwidth cost issues out of the hands of the distributor, and that's a good thing.

4. gerbilly

gerbilly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +94

I have just downloaded 4.9 and it will check every hour for new podcasts. Most seem to be american unfortunately. Still unsure as to whether it will play on my 6mgb Mini I-Pod.

5. motleycrew

motleycrew

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    podcasts play fine on ggb mini... you need need to run the 06/26/05 update first.

6. Steven

Steven
    Senior Moderator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,239
    yes, Apple have also rejigged the iPod line slightly, so you get 20/60 gb iPods as standard with colour screens and 15 hrs batt. Seems they are just getting rid of the monochrome screen ones

7. mick's cat

mick's cat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    All the recently announced BBC podcasts are already on there, and I expect there'll be more as soon as the beeb's trial shows that they're being downloaded.

Should work fine with your mini, as long as the update is applied. After syncing, you'll just find a new playlist called Podcasts.

8. gerbilly

gerbilly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +94
    Downloaded BBC news there and listened to it on my computer. Sounded good. However I get the feeling this wont remain free for long though.

9. paulrwebster

paulrwebster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
  10. extremelydodgy

extremelydodgy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    On older iPods, it'll show up as a playlist. On 4G and 4.5G iPods there's specifically a Podcast option.

11. mick's cat

mick's cat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It's official: they are to remain free - straight from the horse's mouth:

http://abcnews.go.com/Technology/story?id=892335&page=1

Also available as a podcast off the iTunes Music Store if you prefer to listen... ;)

Interestingly, when the question was asked during the interview about whether there'd be a video iPod in the future, Steve Jobs didn't actually say there would *not* be one. In the past, he has always denied plans to make one.