new isp

leigh120585

just after a bit of aidvice, im currently with aol which is a good connection and is fixed to 2mb.

i was looking into getting sky hd and 8mb broadband with sky. i have done some speed checks and it says i can upto 8mb. I had a look at my netgear router home page and the downstream was 8128kbps
up stream was 448kbps

i had a look on sam knows and it said my exchange is adsl max.

most of this means nothing to me,:confused: just been doing some research on here to get my self any info!

Would i likely to get a good connection with sky?

thanx leigh

EndlessWaves

Distinguished Member
If you're already syncing at 8128/448kbps then I think you will get the full speed if you sign up to an 8Mbps package.

leigh120585

i spoke to sky and they can only offer me sky connect with 40gb cap a month, will this be enough for a bit of surfing, xbox live maybe 6-8 hours a week and the odd iplayer dowload on my touch?

EndlessWaves

Distinguished Member
i spoke to sky and they can only offer me sky connect with 40gb cap a month, will this be enough for a bit of surfing, xbox live maybe 6-8 hours a week and the odd iplayer dowload on my touch?

That'd be easily enough for that.

The Sky Connect package is ADSL Max, the Sky Max package is ADSL2+.

To get faster than that your exchange either needs to have WBC or one of the LLU Providers that offer ADSL2+ (Sky/Easynet, O2/Be, Entanet, TalkTalk or C&W / Bulldog). And if you're syncing at 8Mbps now then you'll be able to get pretty close to the 24Mbps top speed of ADSL2+ as well if someone's offering it and you go for that.

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom