New-ish B7 owner who fancied doing a mini review

Discussion in 'OLED TVs Forum' started by GaryPL, Jun 3, 2018.

1. GaryPL

GaryPL
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Hello,

Just a quick (and first) post as someone who has now had his B7 for a couple of months and is eager to share his experiences! :) There are a few things that I did not expect, which someone who's looking at buying one might like to know.

Loving the TV on the whole, but it has been a love/hate relationship at times. I am finding that I am constantly having to tinker with the picture settings, depending on what I am watching. My previous TV (Samsung 5500) would seem to cope better with a diverse range of content.

The deep blacks have taken some getting use to, along with the feeling that a lot of detail is being crushed in dark scenes. I guess this is just due to there being no back light, although getting the balance between true blacks and seeing detail has been a chore. Star Wars (or anything in space) films in particular have been tricky - getting away from grey space and getting the feeling that some detail is not coming through is a little frustrating.

Viewing Freeview interlaced broadcasts is not great. Whilst the picture is just about acceptable, you start realising that a lot of detail is being crushed - I noticed this mostly on football games where the pitch would take on a velvet like appearance and I couldn't see any of the marks on it. The TV would also be very unhappy de-interlacing images and applying various settings, which resulted in some ugly motion processing and other artefacts. I have gotten around this by investing in a cheap Manhattan Freeview HD box which has been set to send a progressive signal. The problems were no more after this! Except from a minor band about a foot from the right, which is noticeable in panning shots across a football pitch - this will get LG a phone call before too long. And the fact that a £35 box can better de-interlace content than a £1500 TV irks a little

The Manhattan box also leads me into the next couple of observations - the TV guide on my B7 is awful. It's laggy and takes 10+ seconds to fire up. The Manhattan one is much nicer to use. It's just a shame that a further remote control is now needed.

As someone who is sensitive to motion judder, I have found getting used to this to be challenging. My old TV had motion judder but it was far less offensive than it is on my OLED TV. Getting the right balance between minimal judder and limited artefacts has been challenging. The main fix has been getting progressive feeds to the TV and whilst it is not perfect now, it's less challenging to watch.

The speakers are very tinny. Thankfully I have a home cinema system - and hopefully others do too!

The WiFi is not great - sometimes slowing down to 4-5 meg. So I am now using a cabled connection.

Most HDR content feels a little dark - from my reading, this is due to it being mastered to a higher light output than what the B7 can kick out. The Grand Tour and Marco Polo appear very 'moody'.

The screen protection/input timeout is very aggressive. I have an old Wii attached, which I used to play old SNES and N64 games that downloaded. Sometimes, the TV interprets me trying o boot a game as there being no input signal and it kicks in the screen saver. So there are some games that I can no longer play on it. The interlacing issue also presents itself with the Wii - 576i looks considerably worse up-scaled than a 480p image. But on the whole, the up-scaling is excellent in my opinion.

The goods bits? The quality of the picture on the whole is amazing once you have it just so - right settings, right content, etc. The range of apps available is excellent - I love having Netflix, Amazon, Now TV and all of the catch up services in one place. In spite of the super bright nit numbers quoted by Samsung, the TV is plenty bright enough - even in my relatively bright living room. I just wish HDR content would be a little more palatable.

Anyway, hopefully this post isn't out of place for a new member! :thumbsup:

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  2. low-def.

low-def.

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +268
    Cheers for the mini review. I am looking at a change of tv right now as my Samsung KS8000 has to go back and RS are offering credit so was thinking of the B7 as an upgrade.

It will be used for a variety of sources like you, so not sure whether to stick with Samsung and get the QE55Q7F as I’m used to the Samsung picture.

3. Bemused One

Bemused One

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,716
    Welcome to the forums, @GaryPL. :)

It's always interesting to read about other owners experiences with their sets, so thanks for sharing. :smashin:

I'm curious to know if you were running the latest firmware on your B7? Whilst feeding the TV a progressive signal to work with is always the ideal, I'm sure I read on here a while back that LG had released a firmware for the B7 that helped it perform better with interlaced broadcasts. Perhaps some other B7 owners can confirm?

4. johnr2110

johnr2110

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +89
    As a potential purchaser I’d be interested to know if you’ve had the set proffessionally calibrated or you’re using one of the presets and if the latter which one. I’m sure that having to tinker with the settings can’t be right and I wonder if others have the same issues as you are?

5. Djuganight

Djuganight

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    I'm also very undecided about LG Oled55C7V and the new Samsung 55Q7FN but from the videos I have been seeing I get a bittersweet feeling with both.
    I find the colours on LG natural but in many cases very saturated. The whites are very bluish and overall there's seems to be a blue tint film over.
    Lg and Samsung side by side I feel that a lot of detail is being crushed on more darker scenes on the LG.
    Samsung the other end gets a very bright and vibrant image which seems to affect the colour depth but the overall image seems a lot sharper.
    Haven't seen any of the 2 in person yet though....

6. fat jez

fat jez

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +568
    You can't judge from Youtube videos. You've no idea what settings the user has used on each TV, what their video camera is doing to the image or indeed what effect your own display is having.

You really need to go and see them in person and not in Currys where they use the store mode and everything is cranked up to the maximum.

If you use Steve Withers' settings from on this site, you'll get a pretty good picture. If you want the best from your picture, then by all means go for a calibration.

7. Djuganight

Djuganight

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Well, somehow you should not judge by the videos.
    But when you see dozens of videos with side-by-side comparisons and all OLEDS show bluish whites and the TV next to it shows perfect white, the problem is no longer the Youtube videos....
    Take a look and find me 1 video showing LG OLED with proper whites.
    Good luck and see you in 10 years... eheheh :)

Anyway, just been in the biggest electronics shop from around here and they had the LG OLED55C8PLA, OLED55B7V and 55EG9A7V side by side.

Although the 55EG9A7V is just full hd it’s hard to tell the difference to the 4k panels. But, I confirm, hardly could see a proper white colour. Everything is kinda bluish and images of the sea, waves, clouds etc it is disappointing when you are looking with the intention of seeing.

If you look the overall picture, you end up being caught and you will miss it, or not…..

However, is unquestionable. White is indeed blue, or kida….Not proper white, period!

But overall image of the 3 TVs is simply stunning and they do stand on a different category from everything else (until you see the QLED). But I have sharp eye and can’t ignore the fact of the bluish whites and that, would haunt me forever.

Right next to it was the QLED stand with all TV and my god they are amazing!

Colours on OLED in the majority of the scenes (without with walls or waves or clouds, etc lolol) seem far more accurate and natural, but the QLED, it just sparkle. They look absolutely amazing.

Regarding viewing angle, the OLED is a clear winner as the image is pretty much the same even if you stand right at its side. The QLEDS are actually very good also, but not the same.

Resuming, I went to the shop trying to clear my doubts and I left more confused.

Both TVs are TOP! Simples as that. Impossible to say one is better than the other and in the end will depend on personal taste.

But forget that affirmation that you have OLED and the rest. QLED is a real alternative to OLED and to many, even better.

Putting the OLED/QLED aside, I was also very impressed with the UE55MU8005T and the UE55NU8005T. Cheaper options and they are also stunning. I was impressed and colours were very vibrant but natural. For those looking for a cheaper alternative, these 2 TV’s are indeed a real alternative.

I’m undecided regarding buying the 2018 Samsung QE55Q7FN or the 2017 LG OLED55C7V but after seeing those MU and NU8005, which impressed me, I’m starting to think that I would be probably very well served with one of those and save a lot of Euros…. Hard decision ;)

Last edited: Jun 9, 2018
  8. fat jez

fat jez

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +568
    If you change the setting to the recommended warm 2, the whites don't look blue.

9. GaryPL

GaryPL
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Sorry for the delayed reply. The alerts were going into my spam folder.

Thank you. I am running the latest software - first thing I did was update it out of the box.

Unfortunately the quality of the picture, even running the software released 'over the air' a couple of days ago, the TV's own de-interlacing is pretty awful. It's the motion. And whilst the cheap Manhattan box may deliver a slightly softer image than the TV itself, the motion is far more palatable.

I have not had the set professionally calibrated as I dislike the yellow/warm picture that results. The way I see it, the TV is giving me an image that I like, albeit a little colder than the 'ideal', but it's my TV and I will have the TV how I like it :)

I found the standard setting with some adjustments to be most agreeable. It takes some tweaking to get true blacks and minimal crushing though.

10. GaryPL

GaryPL
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    A further update. I have been looking at a lot more HDR content and it really is hit and miss. Almost anything on Amazon looks pretty awful - it's just way too dark. The Man in the High Castle, with all of its dark and moody scenes, is a particular chore to watch. Unfortunately the B7 just doesn't seem to be able to crank up the brightness to match the 1000+ nits that Amazon aims for. And the Grand Tour is another frustrating example. The double episode where they drive across the beach/desert should have been exploding onto my screen, but it was just meh.

Netflix is a bit better - Marco Polo is OK, but clearly aiming higher than what the B7 can manage.

However... I was very fortunate to be able to watch the Portugal vs Spain game using the BBC's first come, first served UHD iPlayer service. And my word, it was beautiful! I think it may have been downing to 2k resolution at times because my download speed tops out at 38 meg (and I get all of this, plus the odd meg more at times) and they said you need a constant 40 meg, but it remained in HDR HGL mode. Even at 2k though, it was amazing. It took a little tweaking as the picture suffered the same Amazon darkening problem, however once I popped dynamic contrast into high, it made it much more pleasing. Still a little dark, but a very different TV sporting experience to what I have seen before.

It's a shame that HDR content is so hit and miss as the TV can get pretty bright - it really can. But I guess the content providers are catering for the masses and these masses have brighter LED lit sets!

11. GaryPL

GaryPL
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    A further update on the band that I found on the right. It was getting on my nerves as it was becoming distracting with all the football I've been watching. It is almost reminiscent of the dirty screen effect that plagues almost all LCD TVs, but in the middle section of the panel and not the edges. I then started seeing a band on the left as well, pretty much the same distance from the edge on each side.

On remembering something that I saw on YouTube from Rtings.com, I ran through some colour panels and sure enough, on the magenta slide, I saw a box forming in the middle of the screen. It seems that I have one of the defective units with a 25% window shadow. Having run through some colour slides before and not seen this, it seems it gets worse with use, which is also what Rtings.com found.

So I'll be giving Richer Sounds and/or LG a call during the week. I am a little disappointed but I hope that it'll be a relatively pain free fix.

Rtings.com video here.

12. Mane UK

Mane UK
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Thanks for sharing your experiences, it's really helpful.

I think it is a pretty simple fix, to do with updating the tables used in the pixel refresh, but whether it can be done at Richer or not I do not know.

I'm enjoying a new quantum dot TV right now, but it's so new I am constantly noticing areas where OLED would clip detail and, of course, lamenting the blacks just being black and not looking like holes in space/time, rather than paying attention to the actual plot / content

13. Bemused One

Bemused One

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,716
    No worries. ;)

Ah right. Just thought I'd ask. :)

Did you turn off Eco mode and disable any unnecessary picture processing as well?

I'm very disappointed to read this. :thumbsdow I had hoped they would have improved this by now. As I said previously I'm sure I read they had somewhere on here.

@GaryPL - As others have said your shared experience and honesty has been most enlightening. :)

Sorry to read your panel is defective. Hope you can get that sorted or replaced. Please let us know how you get on and if the fix/new panel improves on things any.

14. GaryPL

GaryPL
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Thank you.

I found myself doing the whole examining the picture thing for ages. I was finding that I was struggling to like it but it's now growing on me. I'm sure I'll be wondering for years to come whether OLED was for me. But either way, it's a significant step up from my Samsung 5500 series TV.

Thank you.

Yes, lots of picture processing switched off along with eco mode. I sometimes click between the TV Freeview and the Manhattan one just to check I'm not going mad. The Manhattan signal definitely delivers a more pleasing image.

I called LG today and they now want pictures and photos before they'll consider doing something. How do you photograph a subtle problem?! Fortunately I have a pretty beefy camera at my disposal, so with any luck, it should be fine!

15. GaryPL

GaryPL
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    DSC03558 rfs.jpg DSC03558 - marked rfs.jpg DSC03559 rfs.jpg

Some images I did with my Sony SLT camera, which have just been reduced to meet the file size limit. My apologies for the slightly blurry image on the television's frame; I had to manually focus as there's not a reference point within the widest focus area that it can lock onto to enable it to focus automatically. I also found that when it was perfectly focused, there were a lot of wavy lines.

I took a video at 60FPS of tonight's England game but it's way too large to upload. I would also probably fall foul of copyright laws!

Edit: when I called Richer Sounds, they transferred me to LG as I have had the TV less than a year.

16. Bemused One

Bemused One

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,716
    I'm currently rocking a 32" Samsung 5520. :D Great little telly. :smashin: I'd love an Oled though. :p

Do you get your Freeview over the air or via satellite? I'm guessing it's the former?

That's pretty common practice for them. Others have had to do the same.

Interesting. Have you had a response from LG yet?

Definitely easier with the pics. ;)

If LG prove problematic, I'm sure the chaps at RS will step in and help you out. :)