New iPod nano

pixelated

Just bought a new iPod nano tonight... it's outrageous! Very tiny, very, very tiny! I suggest you check it out :)

pixelated

Not particularly interested in the video quality to be honest, the chances of me watching video on such a screen is very minimal. However I would suggest the video quality is identical to that of the outgoing iPod. :)

jont

pixelated

Trust me, when you see it the first thing you think will be "wow, that IS small..." not "that IS fat"! It just doesn't look fat in the flesh, not to me anyway. It's gorgeous!

opo101

I had a 1st gen nano, and i got the new nano 8gb on Sat. But i also got the 80gb Classic, and i've been so occupied with the classic, i haven't even opened my nano!

It's great! Just need an imac to complete the set!!!

pixelated

Just for a real user opinion on the video - I bought the Masterplan video by Oasis (the Lowry inspired one) last night as a test. It really is very good quality. Up the Nano! :)

hutch

Distinguished Member
Saw them on Sunday in the Apple store Manchester and they look fantastic :thumbsup:

dodger747

Just got a black 8gb Nano from the Trafford Centre.

No-one in my house could believe just how small it is. I'm still undecided if it looks better than the previous model but it still pleases aesthetically.

Slightly ot, what's the best software to convert movie files to an iPod compatible format?

dodger747

A small comparison shot just to emphasize how small it is...:)

web.jpg

jont

Try iSquint for avi's ... and Handbrake for dvd's ...

Jon

norealplan

Distinguished Member
New firmware update now out for it. Coverflow much improved, but still not perfect in my opinion.

I'm loving my 8gb nano though, my girlfriend however isn't. Hers today wouldn't switch on, and when connected to her Mac, doesn't charge or show up on her desktop or iTunes. Any ideas or should I just take it back to where she got it for a replacement?

Tenex

Novice Member
Is it connected directly? Mine through a powered hub plays up. Look at the iPod support pages on Apple's website if that doesn't work phone Apple tomorrow.

norealplan

Distinguished Member
Is it connected directly? Mine through a powered hub plays up. Look at the iPod support pages on Apple's website if that doesn't work phone Apple tomorrow.

Connected directly and doesn't work. It was working fine a few days ago when she was putting music on it, but now nothing. Looks like I'll be sorting out a replacement then :rolleyes:

Tenex

Novice Member
The new Nano is reckoned to be the highest profit margin item in Apple's line - something over 50% I think. Unlike earlier models the construction is cheaper as its actually glued together.

Bad luck hope it works out OK, BTW if one of you has a Nano why not go for a Classic or Touch for the other?

norealplan

Distinguished Member
The new Nano is reckoned to be the highest profit margin item in Apple's line - something over 50% I think. Unlike earlier models the construction is cheaper as its actually glued together.

Bad luck hope it works out OK, BTW if one of you has a Nano why not go for a Classic or Touch for the other?

I already have a 40gb iRiver H340 which always remains at work.

A few years ago, if available, I would have gone for 16gb Touch or 160gb Classic in a flash. Since then, call it wisdom, I have learned to spend my money on what i actually need, not just the product with the most features/capacity.

The fact we're not always together (thank god :rotfl:) also means that it would not be easy to swap if one of us wanted one on a certain day. We both wanted one to primarily listen to music, and when I got my Mac, I only transferred the songs from my 40gb iRiver to iTunes that I loved and regularly listened to. This came to 5gb. This highlighted to me, just how much of the music I have on my 40gb player is never listened to.

As for wifi, touch screen etc it would be nice to have, but would make the player a lot bigger, and I'm viewing the nano as a stop gap for me. I will wait for a future version of the iPhone, that way I won't mind having a bigger iPod, as I won't have to have room in my pocket for a separate phone. The nano suits both our current needs and will for the foreseeable future, that's if I can get the damn thing to work :rotfl:

Tenex

Novice Member
I know what you mean, I lost my 1G Nano last week and rather than splurge on a new 8Gb Nano I went with the 2G refurbs from Dixons as it suits my needs. With the price of the Touch an iPhone looks almost inevitable at some point - probably when they upgrade to 16Gb memory.

norealplan

Distinguished Member
Connected directly and doesn't work. It was working fine a few days ago when she was putting music on it, but now nothing. Looks like I'll be sorting out a replacement then :rolleyes:

Well I took my girlfriend's nano back today. I explained the problem of it just literally doing nothing for the last few days, no matter what buttons you pressed, cable plugged in or not, and the sales assistant was more than happy to swap it over.

She of course just quickly tried it out, and the damn thing actually came on! Still managed to swap it over, and felt it was still faulty, as I had been trying every day for the last 3 or 4 to get it working, and to no avail. I'll just put it down to sod's law.

Apart from that issue, me and my girlfriend are still loving our Nanos and I'd happily recommend them.

The latest video from AVForums

LG CX Best Picture Settings
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

What's new on Netflix UK for May 2021
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Samsung rumoured to be buying OLED TV panels from LG Display
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Netflix signs with Sony for first streaming rights in U.S.
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Audio Pro launches C10 MkII speaker
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
THX launches Onyx MQA supporting DAC/Amplifier
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom