1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New iPod Mini Won't Work!

Discussion in 'Headphones, Earphones & Portable Music' started by eviljohn2, Jul 19, 2005.

Tags:
  1. eviljohn2

eviljohn2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +208
    Please Help!

I've spent the last 2 nights at my mates house trying to make his iPod mini work to no avail.

I've managed to reach a stage where if I connect it, it will charge but Windows XP SP2 doesn't recognise the device so it won't work with any software - it's not even recognised in Explorer as an additional drive.

Any ideas on what to try next?

2. HMHB

HMHB
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,755
    Have you tried reseting it ? Have a look in the iPod hints and tips in the FAQ thread for a couple of ideas.
    It's also important not to format the device from windows as there are hidden folders on an iPod and they areonly created through the iPod software that comes with the player.

3. eviljohn2

eviljohn2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +208
    Tried resetting it, tried reinstalling the software. I can't format the device as the computer won't recognise it - I've found these symptoms on a number of support sites but not one has the solution. :(

4. mick's cat

mick's cat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Assuming the iPod's on a USB port, try connecting your iPod to a computer with a FireWire port. I've seen a few reports that doing so can solve the situation (never confirmed it myself however, as I've already got FireWire so never bothered to use USB).

If you're close to an Apple dealer, then you might try taking it in there for them to check for you. They're normally pretty helpful.

Is the iPod still under warranty?

5. JayCee

JayCee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,882
    Have you installed the iPod updater software, then connecting it?

6. eviljohn2

eviljohn2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +208
    To answer the questions:

The iPod is only 2 weeks old so should still be under warranty.
    They don't have a firewire port on the computer - I had to install a USB2 card (which is working fine) as it is.
    They don't have broadband so I havn't been able to try the iPod updater software.

7. mick's cat

mick's cat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hmm, could still be the USB2 card, as the iPod may not be playing with it. You can check Apple's known list of cards that work:

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=93405

but just because a card's not on the list doean't mean it shouldn't work - it just hasn't been tried. I think the best test is if you can check the iPod on another computer to confirm whether it's the iPod or not.

8. JayCee

JayCee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,882
    I doubt very much the iPod is faulty.
    My daughter (despite me telling her I would do it) tried to install her new iPod herself, of course she did not do it properly and it then refused to recognise it when plugged in via USB.
    I told her to download the iPod updater, install it then plug in the iPod.........which was then recognized and proceeded to sync her iTunes.
    Get a friend to download the updater software, burn it to a CD, install it and all being well that should work.