New iPhone not impressed and may now go towards the Desire

Status
Not open for further replies.

gerbilly

Prominent Member
Reaction score
I am a 3g user of the i phone and after having a play with the new i phone to fork out £140 for the phone and then £45 a month for not a great deal much apart from camera, and a slightly improved screen. However with the signal issues and despite being a mac user I may be tempted to go for the Desire with T Mobile as I will get it for zilch and on friends and family, its a pity but I dont think this new phone is worth the money, it looks the same face on, no customization and i think I will just have to wait and see what I Phone 5 is like.

Every phone shop i have went into have said the Desire is better so I might have a wee hands on trial for a week and go towards the darkside!:devil:
Disappointed with apple:mad:

Don't fix it if it ain't broke. Why should there be a huge change.

Don't fix it if it ain't broke. Why should there be a huge change.

what do you mean mate, stick with the 3g or go with a better phone like the desire which I will pay less for than my current contract?

Just saying really what did expect form a new iphone? fair enough go for the HTC save some cash.

Just don't understand people saying its not much different to my previous iphone. As I don't think Apple need to change a lot.

a slightly improved screen.
No offence, but if you only think the iPhone 4 screen is "slightly" improved over the 3G, then you probably need to go to Specsavers first. For me, the difference is night and day, especially when compared side-by-side.

No offence, but if you only think the iPhone 4 screen is "slightly" improved over the 3G, then you probably need to go to Specsavers first. For me, the difference is night and day, especially when compared side-by-side.

Agree with that and the speed as well is so much better!

Mate i am no idiot I have held both in the hand and did tinternet searches and yes it is a tad quicker, but i am not prepared to pay 45 quid for 2 years and 140 for the handset. My 3g cost me 80 quid at the time.
For me to consider paying at this price it should have been 32gb and 64gb HD and a faster processor. Look at my info at the bottom I am a massive apple fan but I dont see the improvements as much as you do. I dont like the feel of it and prefer the curved body of the older phones.
Side by side they look the exact same mate it is only when you turn them over it looks different.
Sure the camera is great but it aint £45 X 24 then add another £140 great.
The Desire is multitasking better and is more easy to customize and most apps are free.
Its processor is quicker also and doesnt have signal issues as a phone also:rolleyes:

Everytime i look at the old iphone screen all i can see is how pixely it is and wonder why i always thought it was a good screen:D

the desire is a good phone and if it were not for the app store or the fact i want my phone to be an ipod then i would probably have one to be honest.

I went from a 3G to iPhone 4 and in terms of speed it like going from a Mini to a Ferrari! Every feature from the 3g/3gs has been taken and improved upon. Live with it for a day or two and I'm sure if you went back to a 3g you would see just how much better this new incarnation is! I have friends who have the desire and are now looking to move to ip4 as a result of playing with mine!

Yawn. Another "I don't like the iPhone 4 thread"

Don't buy it then... :boring:

Just my opinion but I think the Iphone 4 is a spectacular failure. Seriously disappointed with it. Great build quality and looks great IMO but other than that the Desire and probably any other top end HTC android phone released from now will be better than it.

thou shall never diss the iphone.

Yes please if you don't like it don't buy it. Android, iPhone, they're all great if you like them, just don't make me use an Android/Symbian/BB/etc..

If less of you buy it maybe the next one will be cheaper instead of costing the likely 799, the way it is going.

Oh and one more thing, don't start threads just saying that on AVF as well please.

Side by side they look the exact same mate it is only when you turn them over it looks different.
Quite frankly, I'm astonished that you couldn't tell the difference. For example, compare text messages on the 3G and iPhone 4. Are you really saying they look exactly the same on both? That the text doesn't look far, far sharper on the iPhone 4? It sounds to me that you're confusing how the screen looks aesthetically rather than what is actually on it (which would explain the "when you turn them over it looks different" comment). For me, the jump in quality is like going from SD to HD and based on the comments here, I am clearly not alone in thinking this.

And just to be clear: no-one here is actually trying to convince you to buy an iPhone 4. If you don't think it's worth it and the Desire suits you better then that's fine.

Yes please if you don't like it don't buy it. Android, iPhone, they're all great if you like them, just don't make me use an Android/Symbian/BB/etc..

If less of you buy it maybe the next one will be cheaper instead of costing the likely 799, the way it is going.

Oh and one more thing, don't start threads just saying that on AVF as well please.

Contrary to what you seem to think people are entitled to buy whatever they want with their hard earned money. We are even allowed to post our thoughts on such purchases on discussion forums such as this. Like many things in life you don't actually know how you feel about something until you buy it.

I've just come back to iPhone having had a desire. The desire is a really great phone but there were a few major annoyances for me.

1. The screen. Now, compared to the 3GS the desire's screen was fantastic, if a little overblown on the contrast side of things. However it did have a few niggles, due to the type of AMOLED screen used (something to do with the arrangement of the sub pixels according to the guys over at the XDA Developers forum) all grey tones had a pinkish tone which got progressively worse the lower your brightness. Secondly, it's hopeless in sunlight, seriously I really struggled to see anything, again thats down to the AMOLED screen. Thirdly, the touch screen was not as accurate as the iPhones, in my experience anyway, i'd regularly be zoomed in on a web page to hit a link and it would missinterperate it and select the wrong link, it got quite frustrating.

2. The keyboard. After two solid months of using the htc keyboard I was about ready to chuck the thing out the nearest window, I even tried some custom roms that allowed me to use the standard android keyboard but I found that to be even worse. In landscape it wasn't so bad but the space bar was too short so i'd always miss it.

3. The Marketplace/apps. While this is growing all the time and there is much more freedom at the same time it's very fragmented. Some apps work for one device/version of android and not another. Gaming is a bit of a non starter on there at the moment, lots of clones but not a lot of really high quality stuff. On it's plus side though, you get a 24hour cooling off period for all apps in which time you can request a refund, apps can do a lot more with the phones hardware and replace core functionality, unlike the iPhone. They also don't have to go through the approval process that iPhone apps have to.

I still think it's a great phone, but I just prefer the iPhone, i'll jailbreak my iPhone 4 once it becomes available and get all that functionality back that I miss about the android OS but for now i'm happy I moved back over. IMO apple just do software right, iOS is highly polished, android looks unfinished, especially a non sense skinned version of it but on the flip side android has more functionality.

Last edited:
Mate i am no idiot I have held both in the hand and did tinternet searches and yes it is a tad quicker, but i am not prepared to pay 45 quid for 2 years and 140 for the handset. My 3g cost me 80 quid at the time.
For me to consider paying at this price it should have been 32gb and 64gb HD and a faster processor. Look at my info at the bottom I am a massive apple fan but I dont see the improvements as much as you do. I dont like the feel of it and prefer the curved body of the older phones.
Sure the camera is great but it aint £45 X 24 then add another £140 great.
The Desire is multitasking better and is more easy to customize and most apps are free.
Its processor is quicker also and doesnt have signal issues as a phone also:rolleyes:
what network you with? I pay £35 a month and paid £189 for the 32gb

Contrary to what you seem to think people are entitled to buy whatever they want with their hard earned money. We are even allowed to post our thoughts on such purchases on discussion forums such as this. Like many things in life you don't actually know how you feel about something until you buy it.

That's what I was saying, you're free to do whatever you want with your money, if you like the iPhone buy it if OTH the Desire makes you feel better please go ahead.

Also, unlike many things in life, you're allowed to try the iPhone and return it a few days later if you don't like it.

As for posting the thoughts, I'm not sure what a post titled "New iPhone not impressed and may now go towards the Desire" in an iPhone forum aims to achieve. It's only purpose seems to be bringing out the fanboys saying, "don't! the iphone is fantastic!" and the apple haters saying "yeah it's crap move on".

Hopefully you'll allow me to post my thoughts on this type of posts.

Do Android phones even Sync with OS X?

I sold my 3g and got a HTC desire, nice quick phone but the call quality was poor IMO and also the battery was rubbish, i mean it wouldnt even last a day if you were using it quite a bit, and as said about the app store is nothing and i mean nothing compared to the Iphones.

I have the Iphone 4 now and i couldnt be happier, no problems and that screen is just AMAZING, its fast as anything and the battery lasts me for 2 days easily.

Hate to admit it but there really is no better phone on the market IMO.

I'll just throw in my tuppence worth and say that I've just made the jump from 3G to iPhone 4 and there's a massive difference. Love the new feel of the phone, feel it sits better in the hand and find it easier to use. Not had a problem with the signal, no dropped calls etc.

The phone is MUCH faster and just so responsive compared to the 3G.

And then there's the screen.... it's sublime. Everything is so much clearer, sharper and easier to read, video looks great on it and it goes ridiculously bright.

It's a night and day difference for me, never used the 3GS so can't comment on the difference between those. Two mates have the Desire and both love it, the major downfall for them is the screen. Looks great indoors but in sunlight it's impossible to read, they have a few other minor niggles but are generally happy. For me the iPhone is superb, love it and not experienced any dropped calls as others are reporting. My mates also complement the iPhone and love it but are happy with the Desire. Horses for courses, if you don't it like then just switch, there's more and more options appearing out there for you!

Status
Not open for further replies.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom