New Iphone in June ?

Discussion in 'iPhone Forum' started by jerryq7777, Feb 4, 2009.

Tags:
  1. jerryq7777

jerryq7777

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +677
  2. laughingboyuk

laughingboyuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks for that. Ive had a first gen iphone from launch and have been mulling over upgrading to a 3g, mainly for the larger memory and 3g.

hopefully it will have-

-larger memory
    -better camera (+video capability built in)
    -MMS

ill keep my hands in my pockets for the moment!

3. hutch

hutch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,224
    Hate to say it but you can wait forever for that elusive upgrade!

Apple have a very big habit of upgrading in small steps, they do it with every single one of their products as it brings in more revenue to do it that way.

I have a strong feeling the next upgrade will be nothing more than a size upgrade to 32Gb, so much so that ive just upgraded my 2g to a 16gb 3G.

Hopefully they will prove me wrong though....

Last edited: Feb 4, 2009
  4. Tejstar

Tejstar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,149
    If it had that, I would seriously consider getting one myself. Up until now it's not been an option given the poor camera and video recording.

5. RockStrongo

RockStrongo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +53
    I'll never understand that. All camerphones are rubbish compared to a dedicated camera. They're fine for occasional snaps, but the difference between the best and worst cameraphones is so small as to be indistinguishable to me. It doesn't matter how big the sensor is, the lens is too close to it and necessarily of such poor quality that is the determining factor in image quality.

Would you decide on a digital camera based on which had the better mp3 player? :suicide:

6. bigdavecox90

bigdavecox90

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +53
    I read in Stuff magazine that they were on about bringing out a 32GB iPhone at the end of this year?

7. gkf9

gkf9
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,399
    I think in normal lighting conditions etc the iPhone takes an excellent pic and am more than happy with the camera.

As for Video, mms, and forwarding of texts etc I've got all these through jailbreaking so unless the new iPhone has anything different and worth while I won't be upgrading anytime soon if Apple do fetch a new phone out.

8. Tejstar

Tejstar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,149
    Not at all. I have owned many of the best (Nokia N82, SE K850i, LG Viewty, Samsung i8510 etc) and comparing these against low-range offerings the difference is huge.

Why not go for a dedicated camera? I hear this argument all the time. Well the simple answer is that I have a dedicated camera, but I don't have one with me at all times (unlike my mobile). Given the fact that I have a toddler there are times when I need to take a snap/video to capture the moment.
    Obviously, it's not important to all and people use their phones in different ways. However, especially since my boy was born, having a decent camera phone has been imperative to me.

9. RockStrongo

RockStrongo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +53
    Exactly - and for this reason the iPhone's camera is perfectly alright. IMHO there's ne reason to wait for a better camera to buy a phone as it's not going to be noticeably better than the one it's already got.

10. WhiteHartMart

WhiteHartMart

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,499
    Exactly the same for me mate (referring to Tejstar here) - I love my iphone, but at the moment I have a Sony Ericsson C905!

I've got 2 boys - 1 month and 4 years and there are always times when you just want to take a quick picture - just when out and about or visiting family. Short of taking my camera everywhere I go, the only option is a half decent cameraphone.

I've had a lot of phones lately, Samsun i8510, N79, C905 to name a few and the quality of the photos these take is vastly superior to the ones taken on the iphone - even when printing at 4x6 size.

An iphone with an improvement to the camera would be more than welcome - much more important to me then MMS! :)

11. Tejstar

Tejstar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,149
    The 3G iPhone camera could be markedly better than the one it supports now. It is a 2MP camera with no flash and no autofocus. I was using better camera phones than the current iPhone more than three years ago and the difference to those camera phones compared to the ones I use now is night and day.

12. JayBird

JayBird

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +48
    -1 for a decent camera.

Give me more basic features like forward SMS, Mark all emails as read etc out of the box

If you wanna take pictures, buy a camera

13. jerryq7777

jerryq7777

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +677
    So 32gb of memory,5mp camera with video,flash and auto focus,MMS,text forwarding,C&P,Bluetooth and the jobs a good un :smashin:

14. gken74

gken74

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +301
    I love my iphone but hate the crappy camera for exactly the same reasons Tejstar stated, I've got 3 month old twins and like to take pictures of them when they are upto new things. Now it's not really practical to carry around my 400D everywhere with me and my old N95 was great for this.....crap phone though in every other way bar having Tom Tom on it

All the othe stuff like MMS, text forwarding will come with the SW being hacked as it is now but the camera is hardware.

Come on Apple!

15. Jbuckman

Jbuckman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
  16. Gary D

Gary D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +838

Tej, your chopping your legs off mate. Unless you take 10's of photos a day your missing out on the greatest handset ever made. In defence of the iPhone camera i've compared it to the LG 5MP one from a year ago and the pictures are easily as good. I think i take an average amount of pictures and i'm perfectly happy with it. Sounds like the drongos that used to bag on about watts per channel and not care about quality.

On the other hand i have a handset that is about 3 years ahead of anything else on the market. you pays your money and you make your choice, but as any "geek" worth his salt knows if you wait for the next big thing, your wait forever and never buy anything again.

just buy one, jailbreak it and comeback being humble :D:smashin:

G

17. Tejstar

Tejstar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,149
    Lol Gary! :laugh:

There's no denying the iPhone has been a revolutionary product and don't get me wrong I would love to own one. However, I know that the poor imaging side of things would grate with me. The current phone I own (Nokia N82) has the best camera I've used to date. Yes, the interface & support cannot match what the iPhone offers but until Apple upgrades its hardware, I'll still be watching the party from the sidelines...

18. Gary D

Gary D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +838
    press your nose at the window and watch us have a good time :smashin:

(we wont laugh at your N82, well not while your looking anyway :D )

Many of the things that are listed below can be done by other devices but none of the things below can be done so easily as the iPhone does them. Last year i went through 8 mobiles trying to find one i really liked and i resisted the iPhone (in fact i dismissed it) but after i'd exhusted Nokias (E90, N95) a couple of sony's, 3 Blackberries and an LG i bought an iPhone and i never looked back.

It is the single best device that i've ever owned and is the only thing i would save from a burning house (even the wife could fend for herself :D)

G

Texting
    Email
    Contacts
    Task manager
    Notes
    Calculator
    World clock
    Timer
    Alarm clock
    RRS Reader
    Mobile Internet
    Games console (thats easily as good as a DS)
    GPS tracker
    Maps
    Google Earth
    Encyolopedia
    Football news
    Weather
    Camera
    video camera
    Photo viewer
    Music player
    Video player
    Podcast player
    Tv guide
    You tube
    Facebook
    Itunes
    App Store
    Twitter
    Location services (linked to GPS)
    Remote control for my PC
    Remote access to my PC from anywhere in the world
    Medical text book
    Project management tool (i'm a project manager)

etc etc etc

oh and its a phone :D

G

19. Naqv

Naqv

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +355
    I'm sorry Gary, but there is no way you can compare the iphone's camera to the latest handsets. They make the iphone look like the cheap £5 cameras, that are available on ebay for children.
    My old N95 and N95 8GB would leave the iphone standing and yes, I have used an iphone.
    The iphone needs to improve a whole lot more, as I would rather just buy a ipod touch to get a "taste" of the iphone features.

MAIN THING required by next iphone upgrade or it IS DEAD.
    -better camera (most likely, but probably only to 3.2mpixels)
    -larger flash memory (most likely to get).

The others are optionaly and won't affect people's decision to purchase the iphone, no matter how important they are (like mms). As T-mobile include mms in their flex-t package, whereas o2 don't, therefore, not a big deal.

By the way, what are you a Project Manager, if you don't mind me asking.:devil:
    As I would like to be one someday and looking for some advice on routes to take. Engineer?

Last edited: Feb 4, 2009
  20. dishdoc

dishdoc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +31
    There's no way thats true, its the most wanted phone in the world, and still will be even if it doesn't get a better camera. The camera is the last thing I use on mine, well behind email, Ipod, games etc

21. Naqv

Naqv

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +355
    I say that, because new phones are on the horizon that will absolutely murder the iphone, if it does not bring anything new to the table.

There is a new one from Palm being released in the summer, and is has been widely acknowledged to surpass the iphone in most features and usability of the touch screen (it uses very similar features, some say lawsuits will be filed)

22. Gary D

Gary D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +838
    firstly fella did i compare it to a latest handset? an 8 or 12 mp samsung? no i didn't, it was a year old LG. While the N95 does have a "better" camera it loses in every other department (including size!!) There is nothing the N95 does that cant be done on the better on the iPhone (i haven't just used these handsets i.e using a mates or having a look in a shop, i've owned and lived with them for a few weeks.)

i don't come into this discussion as a iPhone/apple fanboy - as i stated above i did everything not to buy an iPhone - its just that by the 9th handset i had nowhere else to go.

When you have bought and owned one for a month come back and give us your thoughts then, and no i dont mean picking a mates and saying "can i have a look" - i mean living with it. It is the best handset i've ever owned period.

As for better handsets on the horizon, thats the Sony game isn't it? "We've got quantum TVs/DVD/games consoles/food mixers coming next year - promise" Every other handset will still have to prove itself in the market place - the iPhone has already done that and frankly set the benchmark that all other handsets have to reach. The new Palm may look nice but who outside of the US is going to buy one? No one. and judging by palm's recent performance not even americans will buy one. Wasn't the Blackberry Storm meant to be the next iPhone killer - well having used one of those (Via my firms tech department - we've had them on trail for the last few months) i can assure you that its not and never will be. Its a horrible device with a "Clicky" screen and a really bad keyboard and its also really slow to use - i went back to my works 8800 as its better.

In short whatever else is coming will have to prove itself. Firms can promise the earth, but they have to prove it first.

as for career advice, not only is it off topic but i'd have to charge you £100 per hour for it :D

G

Last edited: Feb 5, 2009
  23. rss

rss

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +131
    I've just moved over to the iPhone from an N95 for 18 months, a Blackberry Storm for two months (also a Bold) and numerous other phones that my me/the wife has owned.

I'm with Gary on this one, nothing can touch the sheer usability of the iPhone, even if it is lacking in a number of features.

I often fall into the trap of going into geek mode with my toys and experiment and learn every feature, but after several days/weeks the novelty soon wears off and I go back to wanting/using only a few features. For me, the iPhone ticks the most boxes, the only thing I would like is a better camera, but in the right conditions you can get some decent photos from it.

The screen is a good size, perfect for web browsing on 3G/WiFi and I really use this feature a lot. iTunes integration and downloading music is superb. The App store is fantastic fun etc.

I'm just surprised it took me so long to get one! (Now I sound like a fanboy ;-)

24. devil1916

devil1916

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18

What apps are you using for them

25. Gary D

Gary D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +838
    logmein ignition

www.logmein.com (and an app store app.)

and remote to control iTunes

G

26. mook1979

mook1979
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    My sentiments exactly! :thumbsup:

27. mook1979

mook1979
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I completely agree! :smashin:

28. jerryq7777

jerryq7777

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +677
    As others have said once you've used an iPhone for 2-3 weeks you will never look back.I can't see me changing phones again until the new iPhone arrives.The app store and apps availible if you jailbreak make it so easy to customize it.I would miss that the most if I changed to another phone.I'm far from being an Apple fan either and don't even use iTunes unless I have too.

29. eddiethered

eddiethered

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    Hasn't this gone off topic a bit - it should be on the possibility of a new iphone and related news or info, not the well rehearsed views of the pros and cons of the iphone!!

30. Gary D

Gary D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +838
    It already is on topic, i think debating the future of the iPhone camera and the future of mobile devices is on topic. Also given that the device is mythical what do you expect to see here solid info? do you have any new info to add?

G

Last edited: Feb 5, 2009