New iPhone appears to be locked

Discussion in 'iPhone Forum' started by Dazo, Dec 29, 2011.

Tags:
  1. Dazo

Dazo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +73
    My dad bought my son a iPhone 4s for his xmas we stuck his Tmobile sim in all appeared to be working fine. I was changing over my sons contract from tmobile to 3 over the festive period and the number change over went through today. Put the 3 sim in the phone but I keep getting a sim is not supported or similar type error when trying to activate. Now I may have wrongly assumed the phone was sim free but my dad would have no idea what network my son was on and I am pretty sure T mobile don't sell payg iPhone 4's.

Parents on holiday so I can't get in touch with them to find out where he got it. I assume the phone is now locked to T Mobile ?

2. RobM

RobM
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,168
    Find out where it came from. If it was from Apple it will be SIM Free and there is no reason a Three SIM wont work. If it was from anywhere else and supplied with a networks SIM (TBag in this case) then it will be locked to that network.

3. Dazo

Dazo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +73
    Due to them being being on holiday I won't be able to find out for a fortnight. It didn't actually come with a sim we used his current sim. Only thing I can think off his my old man got lucky with his choice of network but I doubt he would have taken out a new contract to get the phone.

4. gkpm

gkpm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +355
    Maybe he got it on PAYG from the Carphone Warehouse?

CPW says "iPhone will lock itself to the network of the first SIM card that is used in the phone. Subsequently attempting to use it on any other network, for example by replacing the SIM card, may mean it becomes permanently unusable."

http://www.carphonewarehouse.com/mobiles/mobile-phones/APPLE-IPHONE-4S-32GB/HANDSET&clearance=false (near the bottom of the description)

Which seems to match your problem. Not sure how to undo it though, sorry. Hopefully somewhere else here will or failing that try giving CPW and/or Apple a call.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2011
  5. Dazo

Dazo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +73
    Cheers I checked the CPW earlier and noticed they do sell PAYG tmobile iphones so I assume this is what happened. Bit of a schoolboy error on my part assuming it was unlocked since the price is pretty much the same.

So got a brand new phone that won't work with his new contract. :blush:

6. Dazo

Dazo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +73
    Right managed to get in touch with him and he bought the phone Sim Free from the CPW but as gkpm noted above it appears even their sim free iPhones lock to the first sim inserted. Surely this can't be right ? How can they sell a sim free phone that locks to a specific network.

7. gkpm

gkpm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +355
    Sorry to say but that does seem to be right, even if makes no sense. Only Apple sells truly unlocked sim-free phones.

I think Apple may be able to change the lock to the 3, but you'll need to send them a copy of the receipt showing the sim free purchase from CPW, which I'm thinking you may not be able to get for a few days?

Or maybe even consider returning the phone to CPW and buying from Apple if you still can? But again I suppose you need the receipt.

CPW should really make this clear at the point of sale, not just in small letters on a hidden corner of their website. It's ridiculous.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2011
  8. RobM

RobM
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,168
    CPW shouldn't even be advertising iPhones SIM-Free. As gkpm quite rightly says, only Apple can sell them. CPW are just taking PAYG stock and selling them as SIM-Free, which isn't fair to the customer who would rightly expect SIM-Free to mean the same for iPhone as any other phone.

9. dc8900

dc8900
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,498
    what I love is that CPW, then shifts the problem to Apple when someone finds out they now have a locked iPhone on their hands, when it's CPW's fault that they are selling in effect locked phones :thumbsdow

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

10. bpsmith

bpsmith

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +709
    I will never buy from CPW again. They do what they please with PAYG phones and hound you for months when your contract nears or passes completion, despite being asked to remove you from their list to call. 4 calls a day for 3 months waiting for the. 4S to be released is a tad excessive!?!

I refuse to shop with them again and urge you to do the same based on the above?

11. Maggie

Maggie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +98
    It might be worth checking your network settings first before assuming you have bricked it. I recently completed my Tesco contract and had my iPhone 4 unlocked, I put in a '3' sim in and it said the same as yours did.

I contacted Tesco and they told me it had been unlocked and to contact Apple for further help. I booked a genius appointment and they confirmed it was unlocked, manually entered the correct network settings and Voilla all worked.

12. bpsmith

bpsmith

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +709
    So why can't CPW advise that, considering they sell all networks, unlike Tesco!?!

13. Maggie

Maggie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +98
    No idea, it's only a suggestion and could still end up being locked.

14. the porter

the porter

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,541
    this stinks and should be passed on to trading standards watchdog etc etc, i have long read about cpw stating iphone will lock to first inserted sim but selling as sim free and thought it was a missprint its so wrong imo

15. Dazo

Dazo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +73
    Thanks for all your replies I am going to speak to apple today and see what they can do. Although it is pretty clear on their website that it will lock to which network is first used they also have Sim Free in a large nice bold font when you purchase the phone. The phone is obviously not sim free. Pretty ****** of with myself for not knowing about this before I went all gung-ho with his sim on Xmas morning.

16. Bennybeanbag

Bennybeanbag

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +57
    I don't condone in any way what CPW are doing but there's a big difference between an unlocked iPhone and one that is sold sim free. As has been pointed out sim free just means you buy a handset and the first sim you pop in will lock onto that network. In the same way when you buy any sim free or PAYG handset, it's still locked to the network that supplied it.
    The only reason you can buy unlocked from Apple is that they are the manufacturer and they sell direct to the public. As far as I know, no other manufacturer does (anyone ever bought an unlocked Nokia from them?).
    Just saying before going in all guns blazing at CPW, they sold your dad exactly as described, sim free not unlocked. I'd try and get the money back and buy off Apple but not sure what reason you can give them for a refund.

17. gkpm

gkpm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +355
    Nokia did have retail stores - and a web store - in the UK selling sim-free unlocked handsets until recently. But they've closed almost all now.

http://gadgetcore.co.uk/blog/main/n...but-they-are-closing-along-with-the-web-store

Not been through Heathrow in a while to confirm it, but apparently they still kept that one open.

CPW's interpretation of "sim-free", while technically correct, is very misleading. Just to make matters worse Apple also calls phones you buy from them "SIM-free".

But I guess in CPW's world it's also fine to call a 500MB data plan "unlimited Internet".

Last edited: Dec 30, 2011
  18. Simian Sibling

Simian Sibling

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,176
    Don't apple offer a no quibble return of something like 30 days? Or is that just direct from them?

19. RobM

RobM
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,168
    That has never, ever been the definition of SIM-Free for as long as SIM-Free phones have been sold. Not ever.

20. Dazo

Dazo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +73
    You are the only person I have ever heard describe sim free with that definition.

Even on their website I found this.

21. RobM

RobM
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,168
    I would be very tempted to take a copy of that along with you to CPW and ask for an explanation. Or contact CPW Customer Services at least.

22. dc8900

dc8900
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,498
    Same here, that is the first time I heard that definition for SIM free

Anyway, It's outrageous that CPW are able to get away with this

23. Dazo

Dazo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +73
    I will be doing that Rob but I have funny feeling I am in for a bit of a struggle. :rolleyes:

Also anyone know a customer services number for apple ? Seems like everytime I call it is technical support and they don't deal with phone unlocking.

24. RobM

RobM
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,168
  25. gkpm

gkpm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +355
    You can call Apple on freephone 0800 0480408 which leads to everything. From a mobile call any Apple Store during opening hours (e.g. 020 7153 9000) and choose option 2 - or the other numbers RobM mentioned above (but may be more expensive :)

Not sure which department handles this though, you might even have to request to speak to a supervisor. Think even Apple techs are baffled that CPW is selling phones like this.

Also 99% sure they will need to see a copy of the CPW invoice to prove it's wasn't actually purchased as a locked phone.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2011
  26. Bennybeanbag

Bennybeanbag

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +57
    Sorry I didn't make myself very clear. The bit about it locking to the frist sim is not usual at all but the point I'm making is sim free is not the same as unlocked and never has been.

I was just trying to stop the OP going into CPW and getting into an argument he won't win if he pitches it that sim free means unlocked. It doesn't.

The bit for their website stating all their sim free phones are unlocked is the best evidence to get a refund. Clearly iPhones from them are not permenantly unlocked.

27. poppitypop

poppitypop

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +107
    O2 offer free unlocking of iphones purchased locked to their network. They have a webpage where you simply put in the phone details and within a few days it is unlocked. I wonder if T-Mobile offer the same? Might be worth looking into.

28. gkpm

gkpm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +355
    Could be an idea, but it costs £15 and - though not 100% sure of this - you have to already have been with T-mobile for a month.

So the problem may be that the OP already cancelled his T-mobile contract?

The advantage would be that the phone would be really unlocked, just like the ones that comes from Apple direct.

29. Dazo

Dazo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +73
    Going to phone T mobile tomorrow as after 3 or 4 phone calls Apple seem to think they can't unlock it and only T mobile can request the unlock code. Another solution is my wifes contract is due to be renewed so I could move her to T mobile/Orange(if orange will work) sell her phone then by my son a replacement from Apple.

30. ohyeh

ohyeh
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I also purchased an iPhone 4s from CPW and had the same problem.
    Luckily for me I found out about it locking to the first network (through reading some forum) before I inserted a sim.
    I also felt hard done by as I hadn't seen these t&c when I went through with the purchase online. All I was focused on was the fact that it was advertised as sim free and could be delivered to me the next day.
    Anyway after a few days deliberating about what to do I decided to take it back to a CPW shop and get a refund, which to there credit they did with no problems.
    I then ordered from apple and am now the proud owner of a sim free unlocked 4s. Although I did have to wait 2 weeks for it to be delivered.