• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Question New iphone 5 or used iphone 5s for the same price?

fedeluppi

Novice Member
Hi,
I need to buy an iphone because I’ve lost mine. Searching on the web I have found a brand new unboxed iphone 5, and a used iphone 5s with the fingerprint not working but in good condition, both for 180 pounds. Which one would you buy?
Thanks

Professor Chaos

Prominent Member
Neither. The '5' is definitely overpriced. Im pretty sure the second hand price is lower than that.

5s without the fingerprint working is just a '5' (albeit a bit faster???),

fedeluppi

Novice Member
Thanks for your reply. I just need a phone that can serve me decently for the next couple years, and I don’t want to expend more than 200 pounds. I want an iphone because the rest of my devices are Apple’s. But do you suggest then, buying an iphone 4 for 100-120?

Professor Chaos

Prominent Member
The 5 is probably worth closer to 150 but all depends on condition and whether unlocked or not

fedeluppi

Novice Member
That’s the reason that this iphone 5 is 180, because the condition is unboxed. That means that the battery is immaculate and will last me longer than a 1-2 years used phone.

Dave X

Prominent Member
Hi,
I need to buy an iphone because I’ve lost mine. Searching on the web I have found a brand new unboxed iphone 5, and a used iphone 5s with the fingerprint not working but in good condition, both for 180 pounds. Which one would you buy?
Thanks

The 5s is a much better phone, performance wise, but if the print reader isn't working it's likely the phone has been apart and for some reason another screen fitted (the fingerprint reader only works with the original board), so for some reason you have had a different reader and/or screen fitted.

There are plenty of 5s available around £180, I would keep looking. I would definitely not be paying £180 for an iPhone 5, no matter the condition.

fedeluppi

Novice Member
The 5s is a much better phone, performance wise, but if the print reader isn't working it's likely the phone has been apart and for some reason another screen fitted (the fingerprint reader only works with the original board), so for some reason you have had a different reader and/or screen fitted.

There are plenty of 5s available around £180, I would keep looking. I would definitely not be paying £180 for an iPhone 5, no matter the condition.

Thanks, that is a good advice. I have noticed that iphones, and all devices really, start loosing battery duration after a year or so. Hence, I though that an unboxed phone would be a better deal...

BM08

Prominent Member
Keep looking, I've just been on gumtree and in about 20 seconds i found an unlocked 5S in "good condition" for £180, so they are out there. As above don't bother with a 5, the 5S is clearly in your price range, all be it second hand but I've had plenty of second hand iPhones including the iPhone 6 I'm currently typing this message on, had it nearly a year and it's been faultless, no problem with battery either.

Dave X

Prominent Member
And to add to what @BM08 says, I still have my 2 year old 5s which I keep as a spare phone now, battery life is still very good, Apple batteries seem to be of good quality with good longevity.

KyleS1

Distinguished Member
I'm still running a 3/4 year old iPhone 5. I've changed the battery (£20) and it's like new again. Certainly not lacking in processor or RAM considering its age. However for another couple of years it might be a push.

bransoj

Prominent Member
I'm still on my launch day iPhone 5 and the battery is fine to be honest. Probably not quite as good as it used to be but still perfectly fine for day to day use. Also have it on the latest version of iOS9 and its running that without to many issues either.

The latest video from AVForums

SVS Prime Wireless Pro Powered Speakers - Review Coming Soon
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom