New iPad vs iPad 2 graphics query

gino_76ph

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi there!

I am planning to buy an iPad and I will be mainly using it whilst i'm travelling watching movies, listening to music, surfing the net, taking notes and most especially playing games.(Oh...yes!)

I have seen loads of videos comparing the CPU and the GPU of both devices especially when comparing it with website graphics rendering, photos and reading e-books which on careful scrutiny (and setting your eyes to macro mode) the "new" iPad looks better than the previous-gen. But, how about games?

When i had my iPad 2 4 months ago i mostly have fighting games (Marvel vs Capcom 2, Soul Calibur & Infinity Blade) and i am planning to buy more games like Resident Evil, FIFA, some shooters, more fighting games and the usual casual/everyday games like Angry Birds and Cut the rope.

Because of the specs difference (esp. on the RAM & GPU department) is it worth getting the new iPad (3rd-gen) as it renders better graphics i.e. better shading, colours, sharpness, pixels, etc.? Or would the difference be negligible? Seen comparison videos showing the iPad 2 actually loads apps slightly faster than the "new" iPad.

So, get the "new" iPad or wait for the rumoured 7-inch iPad Mini with rumoured even faster CPU and an improved GPU?

Advice please. Thanks.

No brainer IMO get the "New" iPad.

The Retina display will blow you away :cool: :thumbsup:

I want to ask about the overheating issue. As the "new" iPad has a better display than the iPad 2 it uses more power to generate/render those pixels. Would this be a problem in the future like when i'm playing games or watching a 3 hour movie?

I also want to ask about bluetooth. it has the 4.0 standard but does that mean one can connect any bluetooth-enabled device to it? and can one send a file via bluetooth to any non-iOS devices now?

I want to ask about the overheating issue. As the "new" iPad has a better display than the iPad 2 it uses more power to generate/render those pixels. Would this be a problem in the future like when i'm playing games or watching a 3 hour movie?
There was a few comments about overheating when the new iPad first came out, but I have heard nothing since, so it was probably just hype.

My iPad 3 is in a case and I've never noticed it getting hot even when playing graphically intensive games.

It does get hot but not to the point that it will burn you. I have never had it switch it's self of due to being too hot.

Re: the Bluetooth, I have not tried to connect to anything other that my iPhone to use as the controller for Fifa12 but would imagine that it will be locked out by Apple as per the other devices. I might give a try tonight just to see what happens :smashin:

With regard to bluetooth its locked down in the same way as the iPhone. I've used Bluetooth as above as a controller plus tethering to my iPhone. Other than that you can probably connect to stereos, docks etc for airplay and alike but unless you jailbreak it you wont be transferring any files with it.

That's the problem with Apple. their close-mindedness sometimes doesn't help us consumers having to buy only 1st-party stuff from them.

Back to the issue of graphics when i went to a random Curry's-PCWorld branch today and spoke to one of the sales people there. And the person did said that the difference of graphics is negligible and almost not noticeable. Perhaps if you are a fuzzy person, one that has enough cash to splash, or one that has eye problems or your work demands the graphical powers of the new iPad then maybe yes get the new one.

On the issue of overheating i have scoured the net and have found out that 1. because of the Retina display the battery does overheat when playing/using the iPad for a period of time especially when playing games because of the required battery power to render those pixels. what also troubles me is the amount of time (i.e. slowness) the battery charges itself. again due to the above reason and the size of the battery. also the issue of battery draining slightly faster than the iPad 2. why? again, the reasons are as above.

gino_76ph said:
On the issue of overheating i have scoured the net and have found out that 1. because of the Retina display the battery does overheat when playing/using the iPad for a period of time especially when playing games because of the required battery power to render those pixels. what also troubles me is the amount of time (i.e. slowness) the battery charges itself. again due to the above reason and the size of the battery. also the issue of battery draining slightly faster than the iPad 2. why? again, the reasons are as above.

I've had my ipad3 since April and hammer it with game playing (Doom, Angry Birds, Sonic etc) and it has never once got hot. Ive also never had an issue with the battery it lasts all day, pretty much in use from the moment I'm awake to the moment I go to sleep. When I go to sleep I put it on charge and were back to 100% in the morning.

That's the problem with Apple. their close-mindedness sometimes doesn't help us consumers having to buy only 1st-party stuff from them.

Back to the issue of graphics when i went to a random Curry's-PCWorld branch today and spoke to one of the sales people there. And the person did said that the difference of graphics is negligible and almost not noticeable. Perhaps if you are a fuzzy person, one that has enough cash to splash, or one that has eye problems or your work demands the graphical powers of the new iPad then maybe yes get the new one.

You believe what Currys/PCWorld staff tell you? :facepalm:

To me, the difference between the screens is night and day.

As for overheating, obviously the experience of people on this forum who actually use a new iPad day to day without any hint of overheating problems counts for nothing. Also, the battery takes slightly longer to charge because it's a bigger battery! As above, this poses no problems in the real world.

You believe what Currys/PCWorld staff tell you? :facepalm:

To me, the difference between the screens is night and day.

As for overheating, obviously the experience of people on this forum who actually use a new iPad day to day without any hint of overheating problems counts for nothing. Also, the battery takes slightly longer to charge because it's a bigger battery! As above, this poses no problems in the real world.
Never really used an iPad 2 so cant speak for how better the screen is but a colleague at work who has one looked at my iPad 3 and said it was far better. With regards to overheating mine gets used a lot and never been a issue at all. As far as charging goes....providing i make sure i use the specific iPad plug and cable that came with it it charges fairly quickly considering its a larger battery. I tend to just plug mine it at night if need be and its 100% by the time i wake up!!

As regards those overheating et al issues i think there will be no significant noticeable way of determining the degree of heatness in a store (Curry's/PCWorld or an Apple Store) as either the iPad will be non-working (aside fro Apple store), there will be a long queue for the thing or the apps or games there will not be a determinant enough. You don't want to stay in a store for an hour would you? and besides you might start feeling the heat when people start staring at you or maybe the airconditioning isn't working.

I know the heating issues is very subjective. But the news & reviews are there for a reason. The iPad 3 is significantly hotter than the iPad 2 because of the required power to render those pixels. This was proven and shown from an average use to giving the GPU some stress by playing a graphic-intensive game like Infiinty Blade. And the battery also significantly discharges quicker than the iPad 2. This has been proven by well-know mobile/tablet/gadget websites. Heating will cause damage to internal parts. That's not rocket science.

Is it worth a gamble between an improved graphics and a "very good" graphics with the iPad 2? Would i need a Retina-powered tablet in practice?

Last edited:
So you are still undecided eh?

This forum is full of real-world users of the new iPad, and they are telling you there are no issues.

The iPad 2 is still a great device, and a lot cheaper. If you want a new one you'll have to settle for a 16GB one. However, it that suits you, go for it.

It would be interesting to know these "real-world" users of the new iPad on how many apps they have, what apps or games they use, how long they use the iPad 3, what do they use the iPad 3 for, etc.

You could have 10 apps and you only use one app for 5 minutes. Or you could have 2 apps but you use both for a minimum of 2 hours EACH. Big difference isn't it?

It would be interesting to know these "real-world" users of the new iPad on how many apps they have, what apps or games they use, how long they use the iPad 3, what do they use the iPad 3 for, etc.

You could have 10 apps and you only use one app for 5 minutes. Or you could have 2 apps but you use both for a minimum of 2 hours EACH. Big difference isn't it?

I'm not sure what answer you are looking for.

Do you want me to play RealRacing2HD all day just to prove that the new iPad doesn't overheat?

In maybe near-real life terms i would probably be playing a game for an hour. You might also share the same game genres as i have. I would install Marvel vs Capcom 2, Dead Trigger, Real Racing, Modern Warfare and Infinity Blade. Would maybe play them for an hour each but NOT necessarily all of them in one day.

Maybe try play one of them games for at least half an hour and if possible please check weather the increase in temperature is significant or "manageable" or to a point that the tablet is really unusable. Give it half an hour and maybe go beyond that. WOuld be nice also if the battery discharges a bit quicker than the iPad 2 or what you are hoping for.

For me overheating is a serious matter. It damages the internals and a message will constantly appear on the screen reminding you to take a break and rest the thing. Battery discharging quickly would be also another issue.

Rung Apple and they said that they are not aware of any of the said issues. And this was based on customer feedback and their colleagues. I wonder what those people are doing with thei iPads, what apps they have, etc. There was no indication that Apple people are living in the same world as we are or they just don't care and choose not to listen to other customers comments/concerns/issues.

I have had iPads from the start and currently own two of the current generation. We have also started using iPad 2s for work, so 14 of us were supplied with them in the spring. None of the iPads I have owned or am using have got hot. However, one of my colleagues has had to have his iPad 2 replaced because it was overheating and shutting down. Also battery life was poor.

My conclusion is that you will be unlucky if you buy an iPad that overheats. And obviously it will be completely covered by the warranty. I believe that if it is within warranty, Apple will swap an overheating iPad (I presume they can interogate the iPad and get a report) instantly if you take it to an Apple store.

Last edited:
I'm well aware of their returns policy but i was wondering if there is any reason why the iPads heat up that quickly? (see my previous replies)

I had an iPad 2 a few months ago and never heats up that quickly. battery life was pretty good. But these reports of overheating on the iPad 3 because of the Retina Display and the actual make of the processor (compared with the iPad 2) and the battery discharging quite fast because of <again reasons i've mentioned> is quite disturbing.

Apple is making it sound as if the issue is isolated and very limited. Yes it might be but another question that pops to mind is...does Apple really care and listen to such issues & concerns? So far all the answers point to No.

I'm well aware of their returns policy but i was wondering if there is any reason why the iPads heat up that quickly? (see my previous replies)

I had an iPad 2 a few months ago and never heats up that quickly. battery life was pretty good. But these reports of overheating on the iPad 3 because of the Retina Display and the actual make of the processor (compared with the iPad 2) and the battery discharging quite fast because of <again reasons i've mentioned> is quite disturbing.

Apple is making it sound as if the issue is isolated and very limited. Yes it might be but another question that pops to mind is...does Apple really care and listen to such issues & concerns? So far all the answers point to No.

With respect, it seems to be disturbing to you, but not to anybody else.

Remember the battery issues with the iPhone 4S and the 'antennagate' issue with the iPhone 4? The press were all over it. There has been hardly a squeak about the new iPad.

You seem to be looking for a problem that doesn't exist. Just buy and iPad 2 and enjoy it.

Please stop making a mountain out of a molehill, you've never used an iPad 3 yet you seem to want to be told that it has some kind of serious overheating issue.

Why don't you want to believe anyone when they tell you their experience of using the device?.

I've owned the first gen iPad and now own the 3rd so I know full well how those two devices operate, I've spent thousand of hours on each, gaming, browsing, all sorts.

Facts. Does ipad3 get uncomfortably warm?, no, it gets warm, it doesn't get hot. I use the iPad for a hours every day and I don't even notice it, you only notice it if you hold the iPad with your fingers wrapped round the back of it or holding it with one hand, I always rest mine somewhere, on the couch, table or maybe my lap - I don't feel the warmth unless I rest my hand there.

Does it overheat?, no it doesn't it's well within its designed operating temps, they test these things over and over. This issue doesn't exist so please just stop trying to use a non-existent problem to justify not purchasing ipad3.

As for the battery it's extremely similar in performance terms to that of the prior iPads, sure if you play something extremely graphics & processsor intensive like Infinity Blade that you battery will run out quicker and you might not get the stated ten hours, but that was the case with the older models also. Browsing, video, productivity apps etc all seem to produce the quoted battery life figures.

put a laptop on your knee for an hour and beads of sweat drip off your head:rotfl:
If it was that bad im sure someone would have an app already for a bed warmer for those winter nights:rotfl::rotfl:

Okay i get your point get an iPad 3 and test it yourself. I still think the issue(s) does exist. It might be very isolated & limited (as with other devices) but it doesn't exist because i don't have it yet. Point taken.

Cloysterpete insight into these issues are very helpful. Perhaps you can "sympathise" with me when i say that i just want to get the most out of my hard-earned money. It would be interesting to know though when you say you spent hours with the iPad is this without charging the thing? How many hours were you able to get from it? And i would like to know if you have those graphic & processor intensive games (like Infinity Blade) if you have played it say 1-2 hours straight and no discerning/noticeable increase in temperature like what you have described?

My other issue with Apple is they tend to underclock their processors and GPU's. Is this true?

A Nexus 7 Android 4.1 tablet cost half of the new iPad and yet its specs (in particular the CPU & the GPU), features & capability is (let's face it) better than the iPad because in part of its OS being "open-source".

I have a Macbook Air and i suppose having an iPad would be more practical mainly because of being made by the same company and the OSes complements each other.

Last edited:
I holding out a month or two just incase the mini iPad shows up. As that would suit me better

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom