New Ipad on Watchdog tonight

Gadget123

Established Member
Reaction score
Seemingly there's a bit about the new Ipad on Watchdog tonight. Watching now to see what it's about maybe the yellow tint?

People seriously need to get a grip...

Ummm .... In a word No !!!
Do you think apple would sell a product that would potentially harm anyone they have too much at stake to lose there image !!

Powderface said:
Ummm .... In a word No !!!
Do you think apple would sell a product that would potentially harm anyone they have too much at stake to lose there image !!

iPod nano 1st gen, was on a mass recall, was this for over heating

Last edited:
Just played modern combat 3 for an hour and my new iPad is mildly warm in the middle towards the bottom, a total non issue.

Typical Watchdog scare-mongering tabloid TV crap.

wildy74 said:
iPod nano 1st gen, was on a mass recall, was this for over heating

No, it was a potential fault with the battery.

The new iPad gets warm simply because it's got a powerful GPU and stronger backlight.

At least Which? were honest and clear with their analysis.

while it may be a bit warm, considering Apple are already hitting sales of around US$1.5 billion now, I doubt Apple would risk that kind of revenue by bringing out a device that you could fry an egg on.

while it may be a bit warm, considering Apple are already hitting sales of around US$1.5 billion now, I doubt Apple would risk that kind of revenue by bringing out a device that you could fry an egg on.

speaking of frying an egg....my Precision M6400 'laptop' was in my bag after closing the screen but it hadnt gone into standby - instead it was still on and must have been doing something as when i took it out the bag a few hours later, the entire machine was HOT HOT HOT! The hottest part was the battery but it was literally radiating heat and i could barely take it out the bag. it wasnt helped by anodised aluminium chasis.

im sure if i cracked an egg on the lid it would have cooked to perfection ... could even have been a world first.... damn there's an opportunity missed :laugh:

Watchdog do let themselves down with this kind of rubbish. The problem is those that are easily led will now not buy the iPad for this reason. A few at work today mentioned it and I said it was just ********!

Just a perfect people talker for watchdog. Anything for more publicity etc.

speaking of frying an egg....my Precision M6400 'laptop' was in my bag after closing the screen but it hadnt gone into standby - instead it was still on and must have been doing something as when i took it out the bag a few hours later, the entire machine was HOT HOT HOT! The hottest part was the battery but it was literally radiating heat and i could barely take it out the bag. it wasnt helped by anodised aluminium chasis.

im sure if i cracked an egg on the lid it would have cooked to perfection ... could even have been a world first.... damn there's an opportunity missed :laugh:

lol, my old Dell Dimension that looked like this
attachment.php
from '06 was more a heating unit than an actual computer :laugh:

Attachments

• dim_9200.jpg
    dim_9200.jpg
    19.6 KB · Views: 1,995
Must admit, that the reports of extra temperature does worry me.

But not from the view that my hands are going to burn, but from what's happening inside.

The iPad 2 relies on passive heat dissipation - the reason the back is brushed aluminium is not a fashion statment but that it's a giant heatsink.

The new battery delivers 42.5W compared with 25W of the iPad2. Much of a computers energy is wasted as heat which you need to get away from the components as quickly as possible.

So the new iPad3 has about 70% more excess heat to get rid off using exactly the same heatsink arrangement as the iPad2.

It goes without saying that it is going to get warmer - so the reports don't surprise me, though they are significant bigger than Apple's original design statement of 35degC.

My real concern is if it is doing that on the outside, what's happening on the inside. The surface of CPUs and GPUs run at hundreds of degrees and will burn out if you can get that away from the chip. The battery is just a bag of chemicals, which gets hot in use - you need to get that away otherwise the chemicals will cook.

Hopefully, Apple of got their maths right, but it is basic heatsink dynamics, that if the outside surface is getting hotter than expected then the inside surface is getting even more hotter than expected.

Cheers,

Nigel

I don't mind the fact it gets warmer but im not impressed by how the device uses double the power of the previous model, Apple makes out how it's all environmentally friendly then goes and does something which is totally against the grain of the move towards eco-friendly power sipping chips and devices.

Cloysterpeteuk said:
I don't mind the fact it gets warmer but im not impressed by how the device uses double the power of the previous model, Apple makes out how it's all environmentally friendly then goes and does something which is totally against the grain of the move towards eco-friendly power sipping chips and devices.
It'a to be expected though, the new iPad has double the graphics capabilities of the iPad 2 and the 3 is pumping out graphics on par the The Xbox 360 and PC, both of which pump out alot of heat.

Not to mention the the graphics chip has to power the new display as well as any graphics intensive apps and games.

At the end of the day a portable device as powerful as the iPad 3 is expected to get hot, cramming that advanced tech into such a small space is going to generate some heat.

But in perspective, it is still only the same power as a low energy lightbulb, and only a 1/2 the power of the new Sky boxes when they are in standby.

Cheers,

Nigel

nheather said:
Must admit, that the reports of extra temperature does worry me.

But not from the view that my hands are going to burn, but from what's happening inside.

The iPad 2 relies on passive heat dissipation - the reason the back is brushed aluminium is not a fashion statment but that it's a giant heatsink.

The new battery delivers 42.5W compared with 25W of the iPad2. Much of a computers energy is wasted as heat which you need to get away from the components as quickly as possible.

So the new iPad3 has about 70% more excess heat to get rid off using exactly the same heatsink arrangement as the iPad2.

It goes without saying that it is going to get warmer - so the reports don't surprise me, though they are significant bigger than Apple's original design statement of 35degC.

My real concern is if it is doing that on the outside, what's happening on the inside. The surface of CPUs and GPUs run at hundreds of degrees and will burn out if you can get that away from the chip. The battery is just a bag of chemicals, which gets hot in use - you need to get that away otherwise the chemicals will cook.

Hopefully, Apple of got their maths right, but it is basic heatsink dynamics, that if the outside surface is getting hotter than expected then the inside surface is getting even more hotter than expected.

Cheers,

Nigel

That's an interesting post Nigel.
I wonder what the extra heat will do to the internals after a period i.e. Will we see any failures or other problems showing after a while.

Right so if the aluminium back chassis is one massive heatsink, is it a bad idea to have a case on it?

40 degrees isn't that hot to be honest and even the Which story says as much. All a bit of a non issue really.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom