• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

New iPad 4 screen issue.

Rhole

Standard Member
Hi.

I recently won an iPad 4 16GB Wifi. I believe it was purchased on the 26th of March (I have had it since Wednesday the 27th). As when I enter the Serial Number in the Apple website it says the warranty runs out on 26th March 2014.

Anyway, the screen has one side brighter than the other (the left side when holding in portrait with home button at bottom). I assume this is where the backlight is. This produces a slight warmer side and a noticeable gradiant to the screen when viewing anything on a single colour. Such as the background on websites.

I am not usually nitpicky on this type of thing. But, I tried to get used to it for a week and a half and failed.

So I booked an Genius Bar appointment for Monday 8th. Which is the 13th day I think.

So, my questions are...

Am I right in thinking that Apple should replace this with a 'new' one and not a refurbished one in the store since its within 14 days? (The guy on the phone said that even though I won the iPad, it makes no difference and its the same as if I bought it.).

I've never been to an Apple Store before so I am not sure how the staff are to these issues of screen tints and gradients, as I am sure they would pass it off as normal to most people. Should I expect to have to argue my case?

Also, what are the chances of being able to 'pay the difference' to get a 32GB model as exchange? Would that be a step too far since it was won and I'm not the original buyer (It was bought by someone at BT)? Super happy with the 16GB one as I already have it set up to stream video from a Network HDD etc, and I have Fibre Broadband so Cloud stuff isn't an issue... I guess more storage would be one less possible worry in the future.

Cheers for any advice offered. :thumbsup:

bpsmith

Distinguished Member
I doubt you will have any issues based on it being so new. You also may get lucky in paying the difference...possibly...as the 14 day rule comes into play. The issue being lack of receipt though I guess.

Ask nicely, and maybe ask for the Manager if you don't get anywhere. It's surely worthwhile for them to allow that to happen.

poppitypop

Established Member
Cant help here but just for info the warranty starts on the day it is first registered through iTunes/setup. This is to ensure stock which is on the shelves for months does not lose its warranty.

You activated it 27th so the warranty starts then and 365 days from that is March 26th Next year :)

The latest video from AVForums

CES 2023 Round Up: New TV Lineups for 2023 from LG, Samsung, Panasonic, Hisense & TCL
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom