• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

New Internal Hard Drive for Video Editing

cliveg

Established Member
Hi all,

I've just purchased the latest Pinnacle Studio 15, after having used previous versions (7, 12 and 14).

I do a fair amount of video editing - holidays etc - both for myself and friends, but lately I have been struggling with editing my latest project, which was recorded in HD. When previewing, the scrubber bar moves along, then will suddenly stop showing the video, although the audio can still be heard.

Anyway, I've decided to add another internal hard drive to my PC, and use that for all my editing, and not have anything else on it. I'm looking at a 1TB SATA III 64mb cache 7200rpm.

Can anyone recommend one that would do the job?

Thanks in advance
Clive

bobbymax

Prominent Member
How about an SSD?.
I've not got one myself (yet), but hopeing to get one soon for my OS, Photoshop CS6 & Adobe Lightroom if I can afford one to cover these apps :D

cliveg

Established Member
Hi bobbymax...thanks for the reply.

So you think an SSD drive is the way to go? I didn't think they had a particularly large storage capacity, but I may be wrong...:D

Cheers for now,
Clive

Spudhead

Established Member
Hi bobbymax...thanks for the reply.

So you think an SSD drive is the way to go? I didn't think they had a particularly large storage capacity, but I may be wrong...:D

Cheers for now,
Clive

You can get them upto around 1tb now. But they are big bucks! ... But you can pick up a really good 480gb - 512gb SSD now in the region of £300 - £400.

£300 = 512GB Crucial M4 SSD
£400 = 480GB Intel 520 SSD

SSD is definitely the way to go, the difference will be literally night and day and you couldn't ever go back to a regular HDD again. Hope this helps.

MarkE19

HD video is very highly compressed and threrefore takes a lot of processing power to edit. Therefore if you have an old PC then it will struggle and upgrading the HDD even to an SSD wont make much difference IMO.

What specs are your PC?
With an older Intel core2 CPU you are likely to require a quad core, but a newer i3/i5 dual core CPU may be fine but I would still recommend a quad core.

Mark.

cliveg

Established Member
hiya MarkE19...spec as follows...

AMD PHENOM II X 4 965 3400MHZ 4CORE
WINDOWS 7 ULTIMATE
8GB RAM
ATI RADEON HD 5450 1GB RAM
LG 22" MONITOR
...and 3 internal hard drives, partioned to various sizes.

Cheers for now,
Clive

bobbymax

Prominent Member
Interesting read in "Computer Shopper" Magazine about SSD's
It reviewed 16 SSD's and tells how to set one up.

The Crucial deal looks the best bet for me, what with having a 5 year warranty and being relatively cheap :)

cliveg

Established Member
Hi...Thanks to everyone that replied...I appreciate it.

I've gone with a standard 1tb SATA hard drive, and upped the RAM to 12gb.

FYI, I decided to un-install all previous versions of Pinnacle Studio, cleared out the registry of all the rubbish the un-install left behind...:eek:...and deleted all Pinnacle folders. I then re-installed Studio onto the new hard drive.

I also noticed that the latest Zone Alarm firewall and anti-virus programme was using loads of CPU and memory, so I removed that...again going into the registry and clearing out what it left behind...and decided to run with Windows Defender and Windows Security Essentials, downloaded from the Microsoft website.

Now Studio has more resources to play with, it seems to be working fine.

Thanks again to everyone...:smashin:

Cheers for now,
Clive

bobbymax

Prominent Member
I had an older version of Pinnacle studio (v9) and I used to turn off a lot of the background running stuff ie, disconnect the router/modem, then stop the internet security (anti virus and Firewall) and anything else running that wasn't needed while I used Pinnace.Then it worked worked flawlessly.

STdrez625

Banned
It sounds like you are running out of processing power and maybe memeory bandwidth. the amd procs have a worse bandwidth problem than Intels. I would still think a small 64gb SSD would be ideal as a boot drive and a scratchpad for video editing workfiles. Copy a current prject to the SSD, work on it there and then offload to your harddisk when finished. Video editing is one of the things that a SSD should be particularly good for, notwithstanding the large file sizes involved. 64 or 128gb of any modern SSD wlll be multiples faster than a HDD. Having enough memory(ram) to fit your project completely into ram is also a very good strategy.

The latest video from AVForums

CES 2023 Round Up: New TV Lineups for 2023 from LG, Samsung, Panasonic, Hisense & TCL
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom