New intel nuc 7 essential nuc7cjysal Question

NUCnoob

Novice Member
Recently purchased and set up a NUC7CJYSAL w/ Windows 10 Home. So far really like it. It is mostly a web surfing, video viewing, zoom calling computer. I have loaded a couple of simple programs such as Money Manager EX. Runs fine. I recently upgraded from 4GB Ram to 8 GB Ram due to a super deal on 4GB of RAM. That was successful.

I read a couple of reviews that stated the 32GB of disk storage is just sufficient for running the computer with installed factory software and should be upgraded. They are suggesting a 2.5" SSD drive which are easy to cross reference and install on Intel's web page about these computer. I not really looking for advice on what to buy for that upgrade.

My Question... do I really need to upgrade to 128GB or higher drive for storage? My computer pops up with a notification now and then that I need to upgrade to more storage. Is this necessary? Is this merely marketing to make me think I need an upgrade? I don't intend to add much for programs, maybe an ancestry program. That's about it. I can't seem to figure out how to find how much of the 32GB is available. Used to looking for a "C" drive.

Please, if you own one of these units let me know your thoughts. I am not interested in upgrading unless I have to. I know an SSD starts at only about $50, less for restored used ones.

Thanks,
Tim

outoftheknow

That model has no storage as such? The 32GB is eMMC as far as I can tell and there is a SATA port on the board specifically for an SSD.

the eMMC is for the OS and I would say you “should” add an SSD regardless of what you are using the PC for.

NUCnoob

Novice Member
OK, I'm old school and 32 GB in my recollection is a lot of storage. I mean way back when a 2 GB hard drive was way big... The unit seems to work fine.

Should I avoid a pre-owned, reconditioned drive if I can save twenty bucks? Thanks,. I'm on a fixed income and the Covid help check helped me upgrade from a 12 year old PC...

Tim

outoftheknow

32GB is pretty much nothing once you have the OS and associated drivers etc on it. It is eMMC and specifically for that kind of O/S stuff. There is a port and space for storage and the day to day access to that storage. It is designed to have hard disk storage plugged into that internal SATa port.

I wouldn’t go for anything less than SSD personally so “reconditioned” isn’t a term I would put much faith in. Second-hand storage where it is totally wiped and “reset” is fine - however I’m not sure everybody does that fully relying just on a low level format.

if you cannot afford new then fair enough - generally second hand 128GB SSD will perform the same as new - in a few cases that statement won’t be true though and if you can I would try to afford the extra for new when it comes to storage.

Bottom line though The eMMC “storage” isn’t really designed to be the normal day-today read/write storage in those PCs.

NUCnoob

Novice Member
Thanks very much. I will look for an SSD with about 128GB and if I can't find a reliable sounding seller for refurbished I'll go with new.

I found a new Synergy brand that is reasonably priced ($25). It might be a generic branded SSD. Never heard of that brand. Haven't found much info online about it. A 128GB Kingston new is around $100. Can't swing that.

I appreciate the help.

Tim

outoftheknow

Personally noting delivery cost and time is about the same, I would spring the extra $15 or so for the Crucial BX500 SSD. Choose 120GB and it
Shows the same price as the advert. If it is the same price for bigger maybe just go bigger :)

Hopefully those are genuine - I would put a bit more trust in the name though - I’ve just bought a Crucial MX500 500GB SSD (a slightly more expensive series than the BX I think but BX also available here) myself over here since it is a name I had heard of at a price I was happy to pay :)

NUCnoob

Novice Member
Yes. That makes sense. I see the Crucial is only $35 shipped, so I think that is one I'll go with. Thanks again for the advice. Tim

jonjames

I have this same PC, I only use it for web browsing emails mainly but I still bought an SSD and plugged it in to use for storage. Also added 4gb of ram.

To help keep a bit as much free space as I can on the EMMC, search and run storage sense, you can then delete temporary files etc, also right click on the C drive and click disk cleanup. I generally have about 4gb free and all I have installed is excel, word, power point and REW.

NUCnoob

Novice Member
I have this same PC, I only use it for web browsing emails mainly but I still bought an SSD and plugged it in to use for storage. Also added 4gb of ram.

To help keep a bit as much free space as I can on the EMMC, search and run storage sense, you can then delete temporary files etc, also right click on the C drive and click disk cleanup. I generally have about 4gb free and all I have installed is excel, word, power point and REW.
Thanks Jon. I found Storage Sense and will turn it on when I get the SSD installed. Right now I don't see a "C" drive which I guess makes sense. The C drive will show when the SSD is installed. I'm not sure how to see what's on the EMMC (files, downloads, etc.). Is that something I should clean up after installing the SSD by using Storage Sense?

Tim

EndlessWaves

Distinguished Member
My computer pops up with a notification now and then that I need to upgrade to more storage. Is this necessary? Is this merely marketing to make me think I need an upgrade?

Which application is popping up that message? If it's a Windows message then it's likely a reasonable warning, if it's some sort of Intel promotional software then maybe...

Having little free space won't itself have any downsides, except somewhat reduced performance, but it can quickly escalate into having not enough free space to do something critical, like install an essential update.

It can be managed, manually deleting cached stuff and moving and uninstalling stuff temporarily but it's not much fun and if you've got better things to do it's worth keeping an eye out for offers on a larger drive.

eMMC, SSD and so on are mostly hardware distinctions based on performance and how they connect, the computer will just see them all are drives. Your current drive should definitely be showing up in Windows. It may not be labelled C, that's just the default and it can be different depending on how the machine was set up. Do you not see any drives if you open This PC?

eMMC drives are intended for daily use. They're ubiquitous in phones and plenty of budget laptops such as Chromebooks use them too.

NUCnoob

Novice Member
Ahhh! There we go. Ask and you shall learn!

My PC shows a C Drive with 813MB free of 28.2GB. Oh yeah, almost nothing left free. When I install the SSD will it be a "D" drive?

The terms have certainly changed from Windows 7. Explorer is now My PC. Searched once for Explorer with no success. Guess I haven't kept up with the program! Thanks Endless Waves... et al!

I'll have to pay attention if the notification shows up again to see what is sending it. It might be Avast (I get a few of those) and it might be Windows. I'll make note of it next time.

Tim

jonjames

You should have more than that free, I have almost 4gb even with a few programs installed. You can name your new drive whatever you like but it will probably default to D, mine did.

See if there are any programs you don't need and uninstall them.

EndlessWaves

Distinguished Member
My PC shows a C Drive with 813MB free of 28.2GB. Oh yeah, almost nothing left free. When I install the SSD will it be a "D" drive?

Yeah, it won't be just a case of popping in a new drive.

You will end up with two drives, but Windows will still be on the small drive and you'll likely still have the same lack of space issues, even if you move a few things over.

You'll either need to do a new windows install on the new drive or use a drive cloning program to copy the existing one over.

Neither are particularly complicated but they do take a bit more time than just plugging in a second drive.

10000maniacs

A 1tb SATA SSD is peanuts these days.
A 1tb Western Digital Blue SSD will set you back £60 if you shop around.
Try Amazon.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Cleer Audio speaker + HiFi Rose Streamer Reviews & Movie/TV Show talk
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom