1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New installation

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Building DIY' started by torkus, Jun 26, 2003.

1. torkus

torkus
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I will be having my through lounge decorated soon to accomodate a full home cinema (complete a/v set up).

What I would like to know is does it matter if I have long cable runs (i.e. audio & video) from each piece of equipment?
    e.g Projector to DVD player.

Will this produce a poorer quality picture? and also does the same apply to long cable runs?

Should I place the A/V equipment as near as possible to the projector?

Also, what's the best way to hide the cables?

Any advice would be appreciated.

:confused:

2. AVcontroller

AVcontroller

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    :smashin:
    The distance you can run a video signal along a cable without any problems depends on the quality of the output of your equipment eg. DVD player and of course the cable itself.
    You will be fine running upto 20m off a reasonable DVD player.
    I recomend you use a cable made by Evolution, at work I have run this stuff at 50m with no problems.
    I recomend you run component, composite and SVHS to cover yourself for everything. Maybe also VGA data so you can connect your PC too. The whole lot from them should only work out at about £120.
    As far as hiding the cables, unless there is a loft above you and some stud hollow walls your going to have to make a few holes and get a plasterer in.
    Good luck.

3. Stuart Wright

Stuart Wright
    AVForums Founder Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10,224
    SVHS is a type of video tape. You mean S-Video.

4. AVcontroller

AVcontroller

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yep , I did mean S-Video not SVHS. I guess one sends luminace and chrominace while the other records it!
    I have tried sticking loads of SVHS tapes together in a long line to get a picture from a DVD player to a projector but the results were poor!