New Installation - best way to go

Discussion in 'Satellite TV, Sky TV & FreeSat' started by davek67, Aug 7, 2013.

1. davek67

davek67
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi everyone, I've just given notice to Virgin and dropped to freeview, phone and 30mb broadband. I'm looking get a system setup that'll give me the Sky package and the BT games and possibly the 3pm kick offs.

I'd like to record programmes although I can live without this for the time being.

Any ideas of how much the two setups would cost me to get fitted and ongoing costs? I've tried searching for similar threads but I'm getting swamped with results and thought it'd be easier to start a new thread :blush:

My options are to get the whole thing fitted or to buy whatever it is I'd need and pay someone to set it all up and get me up and running. I'm in Kearsley near to Bolton. Any offers to do it or recommendations of installers?

Thanking you in eager anticipation :thumbsup:

2. Delvey

Delvey
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,834
    If you want sky package go to sky.co.uk
    If you want 3pm kick offs go to the middle east and get an al jazeera subscription. If you want a whole host of channels with movied and sports for free get a motorised dish. What exactly do you want to watch?

3. logiciel

logiciel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,759
    Hi and welcome to the forum.
    The only source of the Sky package is SkyBSB, but give us more details as Delvey says.

4. davek67

davek67
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm well aware that Sky offer the Sky package and moving to the Middle East isn't really a viable option as the school run would take far too long and I wouldn't have time to watch the very thing I'd moved 4,000 miles to see.
    I was hoping for a bit of help or advice as to what I'd need and the cost of setting up a system to see the programmes I mentioned in my post. You've pretty much hit the nail on the head with the 'whole host of channels with movies and sports for free' - roughly how much would such a system cost and what are the ongoing costs likely to be?
    I've seen various offers for the setup whereby you get the Sky package and football for a monthly or annual fee. I've tried to contact one guy but he won't be specific about costs - he just keeps quoting single items - motorised dish so much, recordable box so much etc. - I've no idea if that's installed, just supplied what else I'll need etc. He doesn't allow comments on his Facebook page so I can't see feedback from existing customers. I'm worried that I'll get an installation done, find that it doesn't give me what I want and have to cough up another few hundred quid.
    Are these internet based systems as good as they sound or just a scam to get you to cough up for a system and a worthless subscription?
    Normally I'd spend some time and do some research myself and not have to post such a relatively unspecific thread but I cancelled the Virgin package in a heat of the moment thing as I'm having more problems that'll need another box and another appointment - no doubt the engineer will tell me that there's probably nothing wrong with the box (again!) but he'll change it whilst he's here - taking all my recorded programmes with him.

5. davek67

davek67
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi and thanks for the reply.
    I'm guessing what I'm asking for re: cheap Sky isn't legal? Are the internet based subscriptions illegal then? I thought with them being advertised so openly that it was just some legal loophole to get past the £80 subscription such as I was paying.

Apologies if I'm overstepping the mark here - I'm sat here waiting for someone to upgrade my modem so just joined up and started asking questions ;)

6. logiciel

logiciel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,759
    Any means of receiving Sky's encrypted UK channels without paying for them to SkyBSB isn't allowed on this forum.
    There are many alternatives though and this site will give you some idea: purplesat.com.

7. Delvey

Delvey
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,834
    Purple sat is a great site. The cost of a 80cm dish and motor should come in around £100 plus a receiver could be as low as £50. The techno TM5402HD is highly rated on here and is only around £150.
    Just to advise there is no way currently to get English premier league for free at the moment. However there are subscription cards from all over Europe that could work

8. davek67

davek67
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Been quoted £425 for 1.1m motorised dish and the Technomate TM5402HD fitted on the front of the house.

Does that sound about right?

9. logiciel

logiciel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,759
    Sounds very high to me.;)

10. col675

col675
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Hi Dave , I live in little lever and had a system fitted by Purplesat . What one person thinks is expensive another finds good value for money . When you read some of the exploits of some people doing their own installs £425 sounds cheap to me . Switch on , select channel , watch TV .
    I would gladly show you my system , 1.1m motorised , tm5402hd . Cheers , Colin .

11. kevkbuk

kevkbuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,169
    Oh really? How much should it cost?

£425 is correct for a system comprising of quality components and receiver installed by a quality installer. Just consider the cost of tools, insurance, research and development etc...

One things for sure you can easily pay the same or more and get an inferior job. I paid travel expenses to pedro2000uk/Purplesat to East Anglia for mine and it was still apprixmately the same cost of a local large installer who would've installed Technomate rubbish and didn't expect to get 26e let alone 7w and it turned out I was in a very favourable location for both.

12. logiciel

logiciel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,759
    Technomate rubbish?

13. davek67

davek67
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    That's two people who've recommended an installation by Purplesat and two who've said to look at their site so that'll do for me :smashin:

Booked in next week.

No doubt I'll be back when I've cocked it all up and need urgent help to get the XXX films deleted that were accidentally set to record :rolleyes:

14. kevkbuk

kevkbuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,169
    Ok maybe not rubbish but certainly not best in class for all sat components. Decent installers will pick the best quality components available whilst others will go to one manufacturer such as Technomate and buy everything from them... If you look around installers with good reputations you soon see patterns in the gear they use.

15. kevkbuk

kevkbuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,169
    Nice one welcome to Team Pedro, seriously you can't go wrong with Pedro/Purplesat. He'll make sure the job is done right and takes his time to do so.

16. Delvey

Delvey
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,834
    This made me wet myself

Almost

17. Tight Git

Tight Git

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +597
    I can recommend Tamsulosin Hydrochloride pills.

Well, they've worked for me for a couple of years now... :smashin: